Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Byron P-51 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 11:32 AM
Condor060
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Byron P-51 Questions

Through this forum I was able to find a new Byron 51 in the boxes thanks to 51-D Guy, Flaminheli, and Spider. I haven't received it yet but the anticipation is just killing me. I want to fly the model in its original design for the scale sound and look it provides. The kit has the Q42, retracts, and reduction drive. I am hearing a lot of different ideas about the aircraft and wanted to know what you guys think. One individual told me that his 51 (at idle) with the reduction drive would vibrate so bad that it stripped out his aileron servos. I want to fly it with the 4 bladed prop but I could sure use some additional input.

I am also looking fora paint design that is not one of the more popular warbirds. I might even design my own warbird scheme with a fictitious squadron. I am not real quirky on replicating an original plane but would rather have something original or not widely used. Any ideas from you guys would be great. I uploaded a few pics of one that I liked.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:14 PM
grinder-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Byron P-51 Questions

www.soloprops.net Put a 4 blade'r on that bad boy. The original blades flatten out at high rpm.

Grinder.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:01 PM
51-D GUY
My Feedback: (4)

Hello condor 060,

Go with it just like it comes out the box, that's how mine is & there is'nt a darn thing wrong with mine,

& For all those who say there too slow , Slow your prop down to 3,000 RPM , & let's see how fast you go then !

As for the Blades Flattening out @ full power , the naysayers will have to show me the proof , !

Mr Byron, designed the blades to be flexable to prevent damage to something else, incase of the belly in, or nose over.

as for the gentleman with severe vibration issues, it sounds like a through inspection of the complete drive unit it nessary,

mine vibrates some, at a certian low rpm i'm sure they all will, just a few clicks up on the throttle will cure this for mine.

Once Again Condor060 go with it like it is out of the boxes, the only thing i will change on the new kit i have is , 4 servos in the wing 2 for alierons, & 2 for the flaps ,

the one pictured below is set-up as according to the manual, & flies just fine , on the Q-35

51-D GUY.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12194.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	376.1 KB
ID:	1225236   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40025.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	293.3 KB
ID:	1225237   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53002.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	1225238  
Old 06-26-2009, 08:50 PM
Condor060

Hey 51-D guy, would you mind if I called you. This is what I really wanted to hear but I have a few questions. You can reach me at 704-221-6550 or you can e-mail me your phone number and I will call you. [email protected]

You have a great model and I would really like to discuss a few things with you. I think you are right on the mark. All the Byron Pilots I flew withhad original machines and I am not one to second guess their abilities or satisfaction with this plane. I would like to hear from a guy (like you) that has the same idea as to what this plane should be and it is obvious that you have exactly what I am looking for.

Thank you very much for taking the time to help

Condor
Old 06-26-2009, 09:28 PM
flaminheli

Don't forget that build thread.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:38 PM
Condor060

This is the reply I got from Dave Nalley. He was a Byron Cloud Dancer team member and had two Byron 51s. He is a really good stick and I would like to know (from the 51 guys) if you agree with his ideas for this aircraft. He has a lot of scale byron stick time and I believe he has a good point here. Can you guys give me your take on his assessment. This is not ment to be a (whos the best Byron 51 guy) kind of thread but more of what is your opinion kind of thing. Iknow everyone has a different experience with different models and I would really like to know what you guys think. I havemyown ideas but they are worhtless in comparisonand I value everyones opinionespecially in this forum. I want to flythis model scale and I want every inch of scale sound I can get. What are youthoughts?

About the P-51 gear reduction, I had one of those for a "very" short period of time, didn't even get it off the ground before I switched back to the straight drive and two bladed prop. The reason was because at low RPM the Super Tiger 3000 and the gear reduction didn't get along with each other. At idle to mid-range the plane shook so bad it broke the ailerons off the wings.

The engine timingwith the mass of the 4 bladed prop were always playing catch-up and recovery, so there was a constant hammering to get the prop started and then a holdingback once the prop took the slack out of the reduction system.This only happened at idle though, at topRPM it was fine and rangood.

Now thinking back on it, and if I knew then what I know now, maybeI would put an ignition system on the engine to retard the timing at low RPM to take the slap/ knot out of the inertia of the blades, and it might be OK. That aircraft with the four bladeset-up was sweet to watch, and looked great in the air.

It wasn't as fast as the two blades but it did have a realism that couldn't be over looked.
One of the other drawbacks, if there was one, was the approach to land. You didn't want to idle back completely, you needed to have a bit of RPM's to keep the plane moving forward, when you pull the throttle back, the propeller turns to slowly it acts as a brake. There is so much resistance by those paddle blades, it's like throwing out a parachute on thefrontof the plane. So it's imperative you approach with throttle on.
I had two of the Byron'sP-51 kits, and loved them both. The first was powered with a Quadra-50 and the second with a Sach's Dolmar 4.2, they were fast (!). The aircraft was typically nose heavy for me, so I built the tail with a bit morefiberglass to aid in structural integrity. And I also modified the main gear to rake forward about 10 degrees, so the axles were at the leading edge of the wing when the model was at the flying level take off position. This mod was to keep the airplane from nosing over when taxiing back to the pit. Believe it or not, this was a nuisance and became very expensive to buy new props every time you fly, and that was back when they only cost 7 to 10 dollars apiece.
If you build it up, your really like it. It looks great in theair. Good luck with the build, and if you need some help don't hesitate toask, if I can help I will !
Old 07-01-2009, 02:59 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I see two of them every summer at the Big Bird Flyins here in WI. If I remember correctly, one is Q42 powered, and the other has the little Quadra 40 that was marketed just a few years ago.
They both fly very scale like, and watching the propeller blades turn is so realistic.
I would build it with the reduction drive, and have fun.