Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

gas pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 05:13 PM
chewy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas pump

What kind of pump are you guys using to fill your plane? I need a new pump and I prefer an electric pump. Matt
Old 09-17-2009, 07:33 PM
Herb Brown
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: gas pump

I have a Kavan pump that I picked up at the local hobby shop. I'm pumping gas with it on a 12 volt gel cell, but the pump info says that it can also be used on glow fuel.
Works like a charm. I don't recall how much I paid for it, but it was not expensive.
Herb Brown
Old 09-18-2009, 09:13 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Well gasoline capable electric pumps present a challenge which glo fuel doesn't have, they need to be shielded from loose sparks.

So you need a pump with seals suitable for use with gasoline and most model pumps are labeled for either glo, gas or both. Then the switches should be explosion proof and don't use just a connect/disconnet wire for turning it on as that'll create a spark. The electric motor should also be sealed as there are sparks from the commutator/brushes when it's running.

These issues are why the gasoline capable electric fueling setups from various manufacturer's are so expensive.

While some folks don't think this is necessary or say "I've been doing this for years", take it for what it's worth from a retired firefighter/paramedic; gasoline and electricity can be a really bad combination if you don't play by the rules.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:33 PM
fokker fan

Try [link=http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmart.exe/MainMenuFV4.html?E+Sig]this[/link], it's fully shielded and will pump anything