Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Impact of Magnets on AC Systems

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Impact of Magnets on AC Systems

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 09:18 PM
PA44Capt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impact of Magnets on AC Systems

Hey guys, I have a cub equipped with an OS two cylinder four stroke with an on board glow. In the pictures, you can see there is a small 'cockpit' floor that has a pilot bust on it and covers up the equipment bay in the airplane. This plate was originally held down by six small screws.

I would like to replace the screws with two small but powerful magnets to make it easier to pop that plate in and out.

One of my buddies suggested there may be some interference between the magnets and the engine/radio/on board glow. Any ideas?

I know this technique is used on electric airplanes pretty frequently but I don't know about glow...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87221.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	1487415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62589.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	1487416   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55488.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	1487417  
Old 08-20-2010, 10:16 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Impact of Magnets on AC Systems

Captain, Keep the magnetic far away from the receiver's antenna. I can't see the antenna from the image. Is it clear of all the other wires like the servo and battery cables? Dan.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:40 AM
pat_willcox

You might try the small velcro "dots" for this project.(ask for "Velcro" in Walmart,etc,), The "sticky tape" backing on the velcro is not suitable for your ever day removing of the platform. First select how many spots you want to locate velcro. Next trial fit with both pieces of velcro temporarily stuck to each other and place on the fuse spots typically where the screw blocks are located. You want to be sure your "deck" does not sit too high and not look correct. 5 minute epoxy the non-barbed pieces of velcro to your fuse. Attach the "barbed pieces" of Velcro on top of what you installed in fuse. Apply 5 minute epoxy on the "sticky back" exposed portion of the various Velcro hold down locations. Put the "floor" in place and put a few suitable weights to make the floor "snug fit" in its location. Be careful and use a a small amount of epoxy.Be sure and remove any "paper backing" from the velcro prior to applying epoxy. Also you might want to do a "test" project on some scrap material to be sure you do not have "too much" holding power for the platform in your aircraft. BTW, you can fabricate your velcro from "bulk" stock as needed if you think the "dots" are too big.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:59 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Probably no effect at all.. I've been using magnets for several years and never had an issue. I doubt the magnet field is strong enough to influence the radio wave. Unless it was right on the receiver or ignition source.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:02 AM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

Once the magnets stick to their target metal, just about all the flux field will go through the piece of metal. I doubt there will be enough outside the immediate area to worry about. Do a range check and then fly it. Or first take the magnet by itself and move it around the receiver area. Any problems ought to make the servos jitter, failsafe, etc.