RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - General (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/)
-   -   1/4 scale servo (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/11683623-1-4-scale-servo.html)

Real2You 10-12-2020 09:12 AM

1/4 scale servo

Hello everyone...I purchased 7 high torque servos to put in a 95" wingspan ARF Beaver I am putting together. I get the servos and low and behold...they are 1/4 scale(so it says on the box) servos and look to be the size of lemons.
I was thinking they would be the physical size of the standard servos I always get. The cut outs in the plane are for standard size servos. My question is....does anyone know of a plane that these physically huge servos will fit in?
I would rather get standard size servos for the Beaver and use these huge servos for something else. lol...yeah I'm a beginner.

sweinhart 10-12-2020 10:51 AM

Ive built and flown many airframes and have never seen one that accommodated 'giant scale' servos. My largest airframes are 1/3 scale and 1/12th C-130 133" wingspan. They uses standard digital high-torque servos.

Real2You 10-12-2020 11:49 AM

Yeah...I was looking for something that didn't call for standard size servos and I couldn't find anything. I'll use them somewhere, I'll just have to custom build a spot for them if the plane is an ARF.

DGrant 10-13-2020 07:47 AM

Didn't we recommend the Hitec D645's in another thread? Lol. Those are more what you want.

The "1/4 scale" type servos are monsters. Very heavy and huge, and generally not nearly the torque rating of a standard digital servo.

I don't even know why they call them 1/scale... they're just big, fat, heavy, and weak servos.

Real2You 10-13-2020 01:02 PM

I bought the D645's that was suggested and I bought the 1/4 scale servos also. The D645's I was going to put in the Beaver. But when these came on sale I bought them also thinking I could put them in the Beaver and use the D645's in a Navy SNJ4 Warbird I picked up at a swap meet.
Or vice versa....I was thinking between the two types I could get those planes dialed in. So now I have like 16 servos and half of them are like you said....big and fat and hopefully not to weak...lol

kmtranmd 11-01-2020 07:35 AM

Those 1/4 scale servos are from 20 yrs ago technology, when we did not have 300 oz digital servos.
ive seen them used in 100cc plane before. Would not consider them weak.
use them in ww1 plane like stearman where weight is not issue .

Real2You 11-01-2020 08:50 AM

Thanks....I will find a place for them somewhere. That's the great thing about this hobby, there are my options when it comes to aircraft choices.

sweinhart 11-03-2020 07:35 PM

I got my c-130 plans and kit from a company called kit-cutters but I don't know if they are still in business.