RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - General (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/)
-   -   RC Guys Super Decathlon coming (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/5085039-rc-guys-super-decathlon-coming.html)

Super08 04-18-2010 09:01 AM

RE: RC Guys Super Decathlon coming

You would be better off getting an electric smoke pump with gas engines....

outacontrol41 04-18-2010 11:34 AM

That would be an equally excellent option, but I've been running smoke with Bennett Built smoke systems (diaphram pump) on Zenoahs for years. This particular plane already has such a system in it. I'd rather not rip that stuff out just to go electric. I'd rather find another engine with crankcase tap if that's what i have to do. The high dollar Brison 52.5cc comes to mind, also, ready tapped w/ smoke muffler.

warbird2 04-18-2010 04:28 PM

Hi, reading this stuff about smoke. I have 2 planes with smoke. 3W60 and Zenoah 23.both havw B&B system and they are just great. The only power needed is the servo on off. the 1st one 2 24 tanks piggy back on CG. second engine 14 for engine front location, second 12 on CG. both styles work good. many options, your xchoice.
Ray

outacontrol41 04-18-2010 05:15 PM

Anyone have any experience taming this animal?
http://www.kmp.ca/product_info.php?c...c65539b72c5b65
I gotta say...the price is right for what it is. What's the carch? or is this a hidden treasure?

stangevil29 04-20-2010 09:45 PM

Did all of you recieve your SD's with the windows on fuse. not cut out? Just curious? Mine have the covering over them. I can cut them out but, not sure of the best method to get it to tack down around the window frames.
Stangevil29

sdossett 04-20-2010 10:24 PM

I think mine (which is a couple years old) had them cut out already. Not the top window however.

I just left an eight to a quarter inch of covering on the inside of the window opening and ironed them down.

Good luck.

bradleyban 04-21-2010 04:00 AM

My windows were cutout already except the top window. Just do like sdosset said.

Mines almost ready guys. I have all the electrics in the plane now. All I have to do is mount the servos in the wings and thats pretty much it!!!

rcnutstoo 04-21-2010 08:58 AM

Mine came with all side windows cut out, except the top window. None of the windowpanes were installed and all came with a darkened protective film on them. I'm using formost window flange to install them.

bradleyban 04-29-2010 06:59 PM

Anyone using a Dave Brown Spinner need to cutout the prop openings to fit their prop?? I just got my spinner today and the prop doesn't fit in it. The prop is an Xoar 20X8 going on a Satio FG-36. It's the biggest prop that saito recomends and it came with the engine so thats why i have it. Maybe i should be going with a different prop?? Sugestions?? I'm not buying an expensive carbon fiber prop. This isn't supposed to be a 3D plane.

outacontrol41 04-29-2010 07:40 PM

ORIGINAL: bradleyban

Anyone using a Dave Brown Spinner need to cutout the prop openings to fit their prop?? I just got my spinner today and the prop doesn't fit in it. The prop is an Xoar 20X8 going on a Satio FG-36. It's the biggest prop that saito recomends and it came with the engine so thats why i have it. Maybe i should be going with a different prop?? Sugestions?? I'm not buying an expensive carbon fiber prop. This isn't supposed to be a 3D plane.
I'm using a Dave Brown spinner on my Xoar 18x8 prop and yes, I had to cut mine. I used a metal shaving tip on my Dremel and shaved tiny increments off both sides until it fit. But now it looks like a factory cut finish. Do it slowly and take your time. I've cut many aluminum spinners this way and they allturned out great. You would think they would manufacture these thing to fit each other...but they don't. [:@]

bradleyban 04-29-2010 07:45 PM

Thanks man. I think im going to bring it into work tommorrow with my engine and make it all fit. I have to ream the hole for the crank to. My engine is 10mm and the hole in the spinner is about 9mm. Thats an easy fix. I just didn't want to knock the spinner out of balance or anything.

SunShyne 05-03-2010 12:06 AM

had a lead on a semi local used one so I ordered a DLE-55 for it. The seller disappeared and now I have an engine with no airframe :(

Anyone else got a 50/55 under the hood? How much cowl cutting is involved?

matt

bradleyban 05-03-2010 03:52 AM

Lots of guys have a 50cc. I'm not sure about the DLE but i know the DA-50 fits under the cowel. Isn't the DLE comparable in size to the DA? If you had to do any cutting it probly wouldn't be much.

bradleyban 05-06-2010 05:46 PM

Anyone on the forum currently using an FG-36 Saito right now?? If so how did your plane balance out?? My balance was doing really good until I finished adding the ignition system and the spinner. Now my batteries are going to have to damn near be in the tail to get it to balance. This is agravating to me because I really don't want to add weight to make it balance. I'm going to bring the back plate for the spinner into work tommorrow and lighten it up by making the six spoke pattern in it like the tru turn spinners but I don't think it's going to be enough.

Thanks guys

Brad

stangevil29 05-08-2010 12:14 PM

Does anybody have a good guess at what temperature I should set my iron at for the covering on the SD?
Stangevil29

FlymoreRC 05-08-2010 05:48 PM

Your covering is Ultracote. Horizon Hobby has a good tutorial on how to apply and care for Ultracote.

Try this link:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Articles...115&Page=1

If the blue trim peels off, just use low heat to re-activate the adhesive.

rcnutstoo 05-08-2010 06:12 PM

stangevil, 225-250 F usually work pretty good for me

stangevil29 05-08-2010 08:22 PM

Thanks for the help on the temp's. I cut out all the windows and ironed the edges down. (Mine only had the door window cut out). Next I was moving on to the elevator, another ? for you all. Do you all have any kind of blocks for the hinges to be secured to behind the leading edges? By the time I have the leading edge hole filed out enough for the robart type hinge to be inserted (like they are supposed to be) none of the barbs on the hinge are in any wood of the elevator. Sorry for all the questions but, I just want to get it right. Thanks.
Stangevil29

rcnutstoo 05-08-2010 08:49 PM

If you need too, cut a pocket for the hinge pin to align with the hinge line on the trailing edge of the wing that should let the barbs catch the leading edge of the elevator. I have used Gorilla glue to glue mine. It expands as it cures and will hold as good as epoxy. there is a how-to thread here somewhere with a very good technique. do a search. I'll see if I can find it again and post a link.

stangevil29 05-08-2010 08:53 PM

rcnutstoo,
Yes, I had thought of that as well. I was just going off how Robart states that their hinges are to be installed. They state that you put the pocket in the leading edge of the control surface and no pocket at all on the trailing edge of the stabalizer.

rcnutstoo 05-08-2010 09:01 PM

OK i guess I do mine backwards[:-]I think it looks better. Seems I remember seeing full size planes set up that way. I also got real Robart hinges for mine. Cheap insurance. as I have seen a couple folks who have had some failures with the kit hinges. You could cut the covering back on the levators and add some blocks to catch the hinges. I havn't hinged my tail yet I'll have to check it out when I do.

bradleyban 05-09-2010 09:34 PM

Hey guys I have a video of the FG-36 running on you tube. Its not a great video but I will have better ones of flying when I get it there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws3V4sQL8a4

zdsh13 05-11-2010 04:24 PM

Sounds nice Brad, so when is the maiden :) Chances are you'll get yours in the air before me.......

bradleyban 05-11-2010 07:04 PM

Shortly!!!!!

rcnutstoo 05-13-2010 09:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guy's added some scale details to the cabin. Here's some pics
I'm working very slow cause I dont have an engine yet. I'm looking for a 40cc Maybe wait for the YD-A38