Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Glow to Electric Conversions
Reload this Page >

What would it take to Elictrify a Great Planes Fokker DR-1?

Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

What would it take to Elictrify a Great Planes Fokker DR-1?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 09:06 PM
Dave Barrow-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would it take to Elictrify a Great Planes Fokker DR-1?

Just wondering if anyone had done this, and what it would take to power it. They fly pretty slow anyway so it wouldn't need a lot of speed. It has a lot of drag though. Brushless would be required I assume? Lots of room for batteries though.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:15 AM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What would it take to Elictrify a Great Planes Fokker DR-1?

Hi Dave,

The Great Planes [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAUC3&P=7]Fokker Dr.1[/link] is a beauty! Even though the flying weight is around 9lbs, it probably has tremendous lift with three wings. The 1312 sq. in. wingarea is as much as my Graupner ShowFlyer 3D plane.

Depending upon your desired performance, you could use the direct drive AXI 4130 for fair to good aerobatics or you could use a high Kv geared motor for glow-like performance. Possible motors would be Aveox 36 Series, Hacker B50XL or C50 Akro, MaxCim 13Y, or maybe the new Kontronic Fun 600 at [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0095p?FVSEARCH=kontronic&FVPROFIL=++&search3=Go]Tower Hobbies[/link].
Old 03-01-2004, 09:36 PM
Dave Barrow-RCU

Thanks Greg, I've had one on the bench for awhile. I had planned on putting a OS70 4 stroke in it. I am really enjoying flying the smaller electrics I have, GWS Slow Stick and Tiger Moth. Thought I'd try to get an idea what it would cost to do the DR1 electric. I will have to save up for something like that. Brushless has been getting less expensive, maybe I'll shelve it for awhile.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:04 AM
fgroza
My Feedback: (2)

Dave,
I'm building a 1/5 scale Arizona Models DR-1 which is the same size as the GP version. I'm using a Astro 40 geared with a 18-8 prop. I will try 21 2600 nimh cells to start than may go lipo if the price comes down. You can use brushless setups as mentioned ,as well. You can see the above setup fly on the Arizona web site,
Good Luck
Frank
Old 03-02-2004, 04:00 PM
Greg Covey

Hi Frank,

Do you have the Superbox 3.1:1 setup? If so, that should work fine.

I would expect some loops and rolls performance but no vertical flight.

Let us know how it flies!
Old 03-05-2004, 10:08 PM
gwright

I've flown 3 of these that have been converted. One had a phasor 45-3 with 16 cells, another had two endoplasma's in an innerdeamon gearbox on 20 cells (10 per motor), and the third had a maxcim on 20 cells. The phasor one flew nicely, as a "putt around" type model, about like a 40-stroke glow, the twin endo and the maxcim setups flew them with authority (lots of authority), with the only difference in performance being the maxcim just sipped current and flew about 50% longer than the twin endo setup. If I were to do something like that it would be a C50 acro on 30 smaller cells (1950's) or 10S3P lipo (yes yes, I'd definately want it to hover, just to make a "statement")
Old 03-23-2004, 04:40 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OS 70 is not enough engine for this model.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:33 PM
spikkkkkk

the great planes dr1 is 1.5 pounds with somwhere around 36" wingspan and is made for elctric flight
Old 01-30-2008, 10:44 PM
tIANci

Spik - the topic is for the BIG DRI ... not the Electrify one.

Sport Pilot - I bought the DRI from my pal but sold it to another who was drooling all over it. I believe my friend who sold it to me used a Saito 56 to fly her. This plane is easy for a EP coversion, you can sling the battery below the motor and the 2/3 cowl will give you easy access to the batteries. Too bad I sold it off ... I would have gone with the AXI 4120/18 and 5S set up for scale flying.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:08 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

I just sold my kit to a gentleman who had wrecked his and wanted to replace it. For my own information I asked him what he ad used on his original:

He said this:

I converted it to electric -- its an AXI 4130/ 20 wind, pumping about 800 watts, right at 90 watts per pound -- flies at scale speed at around 1/3rd throttle -- I have found with electric, you are better off being over powered and flying at lower throttle settings --

The big challenge with this model is landing -- the gear is pretty narrow and straight up and with a tail skid, landing on pavement is like driving a car with the rear wheels locked -- wants to skid all over the place