Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Glow to Electric Conversions
Reload this Page >

Sig 1/5 J3 Cub Conversion ? What Say You?

Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Sig 1/5 J3 Cub Conversion ? What Say You?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 05:40 PM
kresevich

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig 1/5 J3 Cub Conversion ? What Say You?

What do you think about converting the Sig J3 Cub 1/5 to electric?
Any thoughts you might have or links that might help.
Thank You ... Gary K
Old 04-13-2004, 07:39 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Sig 1/5 J3 Cub Conversion ? What Say You?

The options are endless. Cubs make ideal AFFORDABLE electric conversions because of their large wing areas and low power requirements. You don't need to buy the high-end brushless and $1000 LiPoly pack.

Take a look at the AXi 4120/14. No gearbox, and the combo from Hobby Lobby is comparable in price to a YS 4-stroke glow engine, as in expensive but not completely outrageous. 16 cells and a 12x8 prop are what I use in a 6lb .40-size Corsair. 14 cells and a 13x8 prop is what Greg Covey uses in a 10lb Monocoupe, IIRC. I think Greg's power setup would be ideal for your Cub.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:40 AM
kresevich

Thanks Matt .. this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for.
Where can I read more on Greg Covey's setup?
Thanks again Matt .... Gary K
Old 04-15-2004, 04:44 AM
gyronuts

Hi,
I have the Thunder Tiger 84" cub artf fitted with a maxim and superbox ratio 3:1 and a APCE 14x10 runing on 17 x 4/5 Pansonic 2000 nimh cells.Flies a treat and cruises at 60% power. Bill
My other model ( sort of 4*40 ) runs an AXI 4120/14 on 14 cells and an APCE 13 x 6.5 and is amazing. Performance on other props was ok but if you can fit the 13 x 6.5 and be amazed!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97467.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	122477  
Attached Images  
Old 04-15-2004, 10:59 AM
kresevich

Gyronuts ... thanks for the info .. What flight time do you get from the Cub?
thanks again .. Gary K
Old 04-15-2004, 12:25 PM
gyronuts

Hi,
Forgot to time it but approx 7 - 8 mins and enough power left to taxy in. See http://www.maxcim.com/customers/index2.html from which I cut /pasted this...

"This is our Horizon Hobbies Hanger9 CUB. At 80.5" wingspan it is IMAA legal. Ours is equipped with a Max15-13Y motor geared 3.33:1 turning a 14x8 Zinger wood prop. The speed controller is our Maxµ35-21 on 20 - RC2000 cells and using BEC (tapped at 10 cells). This is a large, very scale looking, easy to assemble plane that flies great as an electric conversion. With an all up weight of 9 lbs. 7 oz., we are seeing flight times of 8 minutes continuous aerobatics, or 20+ minutes of CUB like flying around. Remember to ask for our Hanger9 battery tray CAD template when you order. "

I would e-mail Tom at Maxim and ask for a copy of the battery plate. Hope this helps.Bill
Old 04-16-2004, 01:32 PM
pcampjax
My Feedback: (1)

Gary K,
It's amazing what you can do with electric these days. I just completed a conversion of my 81" [link=http://www.proctor-enterprises.com/antic/]Proctor Antic[/link]. The plane flew great with a 60 size gas engine, but I took the engine out a few years ago and it's been hanging in my garage ever since. The plane is almost 20 years old! I've been flying more electrics lately primarily because the field is closer and less crowded. Not to mention the myriad of other benefits. So I decided to attempt a conversion.

The plane weighs in at about 9.5lbs total (with batteries), 948 sq inches of wing area.

After some research, I decided to go with the [link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/brushless_axi.htm]AXI PM412014[/link] turning a APC 14x7E Thin Electric Prop , the [link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/jetigold.htm]JETI JES 40-3P Speed controller[/link] and 12 cells. . I have two six cell packs of both a 2400mAh Nicad and 3300mAh NiMH. I get fantastic performance from both types of cells. Takeoff roll is less than 30 feet, 6-7 mins flight time with the Nicad and about 9 mins flight time with the NiMH's. We were all impressed with how quite these motors run.

Good luck on your conversion.
Paul C
Old 04-16-2004, 09:07 PM
kresevich

Paul .. thanks for the report ... I love the Antics .. that was actually my first choice when I started this project, but since there such a special plane I decided to just order the plan's for the Parasol and check it out! I thought that it was probably a little over my head. This is my first scale project and also my first electric ( I put Antics in the scale class even though there not). I finally decided if things didn't go well after all that work I would be pretty unhappy. So I went with the Sig 1/5 Cub. I think the Cub should require about the same setup as the Antic. If all goes well, then I will press on with the Parasol Antic. I live in the Northwest and Proctor is only 2 1/2 hours from me. We have some great vintage meets here during the summer, lots of all the Proctor products. Later Gary K [email protected]
Old 04-16-2004, 10:12 PM
pcampjax
My Feedback: (1)

Gary,
Interesting to hear about the Proctor factory. I think you'll like the J3 conversion, for one thing it will be in the air a lot quicker. Have you seen how the Proctor kits are built? It took me weeks to finish the Antic, the ribs are "built-up" with thin ply rib caps, the tail end of the fuselage is all built up with bamboo that's glued into drilled holes at each joint...[:@]
On another note, these kits are not cheap. Just two weeks ago I saw a Proctor Eindecker at a Hobby shop; the kit was $399!
At the moment I'm actually "building" the Topflight P51 for a friend. It will be electric and he's considering the AXI 4130 motor or a Maxcim motor.

On another note, I still fly some gas powered, I have a 1/3 GP Christen Eagle and a 1/4 scale Sig Cub I built almost 9 years ago. It still flies great.

Good luck on your conversion.
Paul
Old 04-20-2004, 11:48 PM
Billy Haynes

I've just finished the 1/5 Sig Cub. I haven't had a chance to test fly it yet, but should be a non event. I lightened it all I could, although it builts light for the size w/o mods. I did lighten it due to the heavy (cheap) power setup I'm using. Used Astro Flight cobalt 40's can be found rather cheap with all the new brushless motors on the market. I have 2 & needed a plane for one of'm, the sig was the answer. AF40 std gearbox, Jeti controller, 20c 2400scr's. I think I could have went with 18 like I had in my world models 71"er, but wanted the extra umph the other 2 cells would add. It took me a year to finish, these small 54" w.s. & under sport planes have spoild me Mine with the 20cell pack weights around 8.75lbs, or there abouts. Keep us informed how it goes.
Billy
Old 04-21-2004, 10:36 AM
kresevich

Bill ... thanks for your comments .... I'm waiting on my Sig 1/5 Cub to arrive ... Back order from Tower Hobbies .... Gary K
Old 04-27-2004, 11:37 PM
Sidekick

CAP 232 10 Conversion.

All you people seem to have this conversion pretty well all sused out, so maybe you could help me.

I have a CAP 232 10 size, w/span 36.6" recommended glow is 10-- 15.

Now I wish to go electric, but I have no idea of what " motor, esc, batteries, etc.

I would prefer a direct drive, although I have seen some motors with the gearbox on the front that keeps the prop shaft in a direct line.

Is that what they refer to as planetry gears?

Anyway, any help or recomendations you can give me I surely would appreciate.

Many thanks,

Sidekick.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:09 AM
Billy Haynes

Default CAP 232 10 Conversion.

Sidekick, I'll run it through motocalc for you, but I need some more info on the plane. What is the: total wing area, weight RTF minus the engine & fuel tank & rx battery, airfoil (flat, simi sym, or symetrical), thrust to weight ratio your looking for (1:1, 1.5:1, ect), what kind of batterys do you want to use (NiCad, NiMh, lipo)?
If you don't want to use a gearbox then one of the outrunner motors would be your best bet I think.
("although I have seen some motors with the gearbox on the front that keeps the prop shaft in a direct line.
Is that what they refer to as planetry gears? ") If it is in a direct line, than most likely it is a planetary g.b. An innerdriven gearbox is offset, but only slightly.
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/brushless_axi.htm
There are so many choices it's mindblowing! I prefer a gearbox myself. That way I can tailer the powersystem to the plane, but many people love the outrunners. Like I said, give me some more info & I'll try to help you out.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:26 PM
Sidekick

Default RE: CAP 232 10 Conversion.

Hey Billy,

Thanks for your quick response to my queery.

This plane has a Symetrical wing,I wish to run Ni-Cads,The wing area is 228 sq in and the wing loading is 28 oz.

See how we go with that Billy, I sure do appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Sidekick.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:28 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Sidekick,

While your questions are semi-related, it's generally better to start a new thread instead of hijacking an existing one when you're talking about a different plane. By replying to the Cub thread, people think you're talking about the Cub, and may not bother to check to see what you said.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:17 PM
Sidekick

OK Matt,

Sorry to stuff it up.

I will try to open a new thread.

Sidekick
Old 05-09-2004, 09:11 PM
Billy Haynes

kresevich, ever get yours yet? I test flew mine yesterday. As I expected it was a non event. I did some big Cubby loops & stall turns. Takeoff & landing was alittle ugly. On smooth ground it wouldn't be too bad, but I fly from rough ground & the landing gear wouldn't give enough for good ground handling. I'm going to have to work on that. Just remember to keep the power on some on landing as the Cub slow's down a good bit with the power off.
Old 05-27-2004, 12:22 AM
Billy Haynes

I've found the stock landing gear (mains) to be too stiff for my use. Seems to me that gear would support a 1/4 scale model. I disliked the ground handling so much I decided to build some "scale" gear (I couldn't make myself shell out the bucks for commercially availible ones). It took a week & a half of my spare time to build it & work out the kinks, but its done & works great. Don't be scared to try a set, it's not too expensive (I figure $15, & less if you got some spare wire/brass to use), but does burn up some free time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91213.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	136860   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47251.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	136861  
Old 05-31-2004, 07:49 AM
MJFinegan
My Feedback: (2)

Awesome gear Bill. Any chance you'd consider posting parts list and plans? My 1/5 scale Cub is currently sitting on the stock wire gear. Just needs a few finishing touches (and completion of a rather extensive "honey do" list from the Missus. ) before I can take it out to the field. ;-)

Mike
Old 05-31-2004, 12:12 PM
Billy Haynes

MJFinegan
Sorry, no plans, it was just an eyeball, TLAR kinda thing. I'll try to find the time to get a pic & draw on it what the pieces are/sizes. Right now I'm repairing my Funtana from putting it in a tree.........
Old 06-03-2004, 03:15 PM
MJFinegan
My Feedback: (2)

Sorry to hear about your close encounter with the tree. I had one last summer. Minimal damage but a PITA none the less.

Mike