Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

UCD .46 conversion completed

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 02:28 PM
3dandpatternflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: UCD .46 conversion completed

And, in Ohio, if I'm LUCKY I can fly 26 weeks out of the year, which is about 130 flights, 8oz per flight, 16 flts per gallon, 8.13 gallons per year, @15 per gallon 121.95. Add in a Saito .72 which pulls nicely BTW @224.00 and you have $345.95. Mmmmm, far cry from $400.
Just like u said, don't forget to add everything..How about yur electric starter ($25), field box($40), Ni-starter w/ charger ($25), field battery for Electric starter ($18), spare glow plugs ($5). Total $458.95

Don't forget the hassle of glow engines. You're always adjusting, noise, slop! With electric just turn it on and it runs!!

Who doesn't know what a CC P-60 is???lol Maybe all the fumes of glow engines has got to u...

Ignore him mike....
I hate when people start stupid stuff

Andrew T.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:43 PM
Ducted Fan Dan
My Feedback: (2)

Stupid stuff?

mmm.

Far be it from me to have a debate in a forum. My apologies. I'll keep my stupid stuff to myself.

Thanks 3dandpatternflyer.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:50 PM
Mike Parsons

Dynodan, you are correct with adding the P60 and UBEC it is another (already had that so didnt include the cost), but lets break it down without the Lithiums as they are not necessary and just a hop up. And just like you can buy used glow stuff, you can also purchase used electric which can and will save you money.

Mega 22/30/2- 100
Superbox- 40
Ubec- 15
P60- 80
14 cell GP 3300- 63.00
grand total of $298.
10 minute flights, 7-8 full out throwing it around. So with those numbers it is no where near $500 and barely close to the 345.95 you spent. If we stopped there that would be fine, but you have a reoccuring cost of 121.95 a year if you fly at your estimates (dont move anywhere warmer or your costs go up ). You have a right to your opinion, but it doesnt mean I agree with it.

3dandpatternflyer, no worries.

It always amazes me at the amount of flack that people who fly flow/fuel planes give guys who fly and enjoy electric planes. I have yet to see an exclusive electric guy go to a thread about a fuel plane and say how smelly or messy or how wrong they are for flying it etc etc. However, I see it all the time towards electrics. I imagine it is fear of not understanding. I know nothing about fuel planes (glow or otherwise) since I have never in my life flown one, but it doesnt stop me from admiring them as it is another aspect of this hobby. I dont have an interest in slope flying, however I respect the people who fly it simply because they enjoy it and it is simply another part of the hobby.

"Those who dont get it...never will"
Old 04-30-2004, 02:59 PM
3dandpatternflyer

I'll keep my stupid stuff to myself.
Whew!! Thank you Dynodan

"Those who dont get it...never will"
Very True
Old 04-30-2004, 03:14 PM
Ducted Fan Dan

With my smart*****edness, it is understandable you would think I don't get it. So I will try to come across a little more diplomatic and tactful.

I admire the foresight to delve into electric power. The future will be rife with great electrical achievements. I do appreciate the research and info you put into practice. It is a great implementation of physics.

What gets me is that the only two selling points I ever hear about electrics is you don't have to buy fuel or clean up the mess. But the price of admission is still too steep.

I don't want to beat a dead horse, however, to get the flight times and power of a glow engine, I feel that Li-Po's are a necessity. Weight savings and all of that. Li-po chargers are also pricey, I am looking at it from the standpoint of everything I would need that I don't have to do the conversion myself. I would have to pay retail.

So all told, I would have to pay $500 to go with your setup. Then I would have to use the equipment for a year and a half to get the benefit of not buying fuel. God forbid something goes wrong and I destroy a li-po pac in a crash. I understand the same can happen to an engine.

If someone gave me the equipment, or let's say just batts and a charger, I would run the system. I think it's neat and cutting edge.

Like I said before, the price doesn't yet justify the purchase.

I will also edit some of my previous posts to be a little less abrasive.

I still don't know what a P60 is.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:31 PM
Mike Parsons

You will not hear me disagreeing. I think the difference is (and this has been backed up by my flying mates who all fly glow) that I started out in Electric. I didnt have one peice of field equipment to support either method of flying. It is less cost effective for a pilot that currently flys glow/gas to go out and purchase all of the equipment to fly electric. We tease eachother at the field as I am packing up and they are wiping down their planes, but the truth of the matter is I like watching them fly theirs (from 40-120 to 40%.) and they like watching mine. It is just another aspect of the hobby. I dont think a single member of my club owned an electric airplane until I joined. They simply were not exposed to them. Now there is an assortment of wings, GWS planes, Fan Fold/Depron etc. All with 400 size brushless motors as well as brushed motors. I saw a member the other day flying his 40%+ Carden Sukhoi, and he was flying an exact depron replica of his plane (color and all) draggin the tail. Dont get me wrong...their are members who do not understand electrics and dont care too, however we respect eachother. I appreciate your tactful response.

A p60 is an Electronic Speed Control. Pheonix 60 (60 amp controller) from www.castlecreations.com
Old 04-30-2004, 03:34 PM
Ducted Fan Dan

Yup, were on the same page.

Our goal is to fly, the journey to acheive that goal is the fun part.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:34 PM
Mike Parsons

Amen brother . By the way..the CF canopy will work on a glow plane
Old 04-30-2004, 03:36 PM
Jeff Meyers

ORIGINAL: Dynodan

What gets me is that the only two selling points I ever hear about electrics is you don't have to buy fuel or clean up the mess. But the price of admission is still too steep.

I'll add a few more "points"....

I've been flying RC since I was 6 years old (although not consistently).....I lost a lot of my hearing at a young age b/c I did not wear earplugs consistently....I did wear them...but not all the time. Sure...you could make the arguement that it's my fault....but it's a hard one to argue about...

Your planes will last longer if powered electric vs. glow....no oils to break down glue joints and weaken wood.... sure perfect seems and exhaust deflectors can help.

Your servos will last a lot longer since they are not exposed to the vibration of an internal combustion engine.

The CG on electrics to not change during flight...thus you will have a more consistent flying plane throughout the entire flight. Rarely do I see glow planes set up with the fuel tank on the CG...

Swinging bigger props is just more efficient....Every plane designed will only go so fast. Most glow engines swing little bitty props at pitch speeds far greater than the airplane will fly. Wasted energy.... Some folks to tinker with prop selection to minimize this....but most don't...

I disagree with you about the "price of admission" as a general standpoint. All in all...the price of the power systems are similar over time of not cheaper for electrics....even when factoring the current price of lithium batteries.

It really does not matter how you power your planes...as long as you enjoy what you do...
Old 04-30-2004, 03:44 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Yeah, I get the same sort of response. I fly YS 4 Strokes in a few planes. Guys ask, "Why didn't you use a Thunder Tiger 46?? Costs about $175 less than the YS and uses 10% nitro fuel??" I tell them because I like the YS. Same with electric. Money isn't everything.

I own maybe 50 glow and gas engines, but I'm not buying anything new that runs off fuel. All my new purchases are electric power. I'm not ready to quit glow altogether, but I'm switching over as fast as my finances will allow (and I'm not even selling any of my glow stuff to do it).

As long as I'm comfortable with what I spend my money on, I figure everybody else shouldn't trouble over it.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:59 PM
3dandpatternflyer

I dont think a single member of my club owned an electric airplane until I joined. They simply were not exposed to them. Now there is an assortment of wings, GWS planes, Fan Fold/Depron etc. All with 400 size brushless motors as well as brushed motors.
Same thing at our field. People would always say electrics just don't have the power etc. Then when my dad converted a Model Tech Magic and Avistar and saw how it performed, more and more people started flying electric. About 7 or 8. There is even a guy who is selling his own designed "Fake ShockFlyer" for $20 at our field. There is another guy who just made his first Glow to Electric conversion.

Their are members who do not understand electrics and dont care too, however we respect each other.
^^^^^^
Well said.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:31 PM
Jeff Meyers

That's a great avatar!
Old 05-01-2004, 07:48 AM
3dandpatternflyer

Yurs is kewl too![8D]

Will u be hosting something at SEFF??

Andrew T.
Old 05-01-2004, 09:38 AM
crashingagain

A p60 is a castle creations brand speed controll called the phoenix 60
Old 05-01-2004, 09:56 AM
jonnyjetprop
My Feedback: (3)

A guest of one of our members was flying a Modeltech Magic with an AXI motor on a innerdemon gearbox. I think it was either 1.5:1 or 2:1. I dont think that you can mount a second motor, but I would call Innerdemon to find out. By the way, the Magic flew great.

John
Old 05-01-2004, 07:43 PM
Mike Parsons

He is SEFF . Jeff is the main contact and organizer for SEFF. A very busy and popular man.

-Mike
Old 05-01-2004, 08:29 PM
3dandpatternflyer

yea...lol

I jus realized that when i saw the flyer for SEFF-> "Contact Jeff Meyers"

Andrew T.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:18 PM
Jeff Meyers

ORIGINAL: 3dandpatternflyer

yea...lol

I jus realized that when i saw the flyer for SEFF-> "Contact Jeff Meyers"

Andrew T.
Andrew T.,

I just checked the pilot roster and noticed that you have not registered yet....???#$%^

http://www.koolflightsystems.com/pay...gistration.htm

Can't sport the avatar unless you register....[]
Old 05-02-2004, 08:41 AM
3dandpatternflyer

I'll register soon, just need my dad's credit card lol

Andrew T.
Old 05-07-2004, 07:39 PM
3dandpatternflyer

Andrew T.,

I just checked the pilot roster and noticed that you have not registered yet....???#$%^

http://www.koolflightsystems.com/pay...gistration.htm

Can't sport the avatar unless you register....[ ]
I registered!! Look for Stephen Thoroman and Andrew Thoroman! (bought 2 registrations)

Are we one of the first 200 pilots who gets free door prizes??lol