Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Glow to Electric Conversions
Reload this Page >

GP 1/4 scale Piper Cub Conversion?

Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

GP 1/4 scale Piper Cub Conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 04:22 PM
mickey-gem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP 1/4 scale Piper Cub Conversion?

Hello! I have a Great Planes 1/4 scale piper cub ARF that I plan on converting to e-power. The plane
has an approximate nitro finished weight of 8.5 pounds. Based on some research here I have narrowed
it down to two motors: the AXI 4120/14 or the Jeti Phasor 45-3 both with the recommended speed controllers.
I plan to use two, 3 cell lithium packs, probably in the 4000 mAh capacity range. Has anybody had e-flight
conversion success on this particular plane? If you would you be so kind as to make suggestions for my setup?
recommeded glow engines for this plane are 2 stroke .46 to mild .60 or four stroke .70 Thank you in advance for
your comments and suggestions!

Happy flying!
Old 11-15-2004, 04:39 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: GP 1/4 scale Piper Cub Conversion?

Two 3-cell LiPoly packs in what configuration? 3 in series or 6 in series? Volts are the electric equivalent of cubic inches and the number of cells in series determines Volts. A 3-in-series, or 3S LiPoly is more suitable for smaller airplanes, say, in the .25 size range. 6-in-series, or 6S, would be more suitable to larger airplanes in the .60-size range.

For .40-size airplanes, I would recommend a 4S or 5S LiPoly, then enough packs in parallel to handle the current, and/or give you the duration you want. Of the two motors, I would recommend the AXI because it can handle more power. That way, if you feel you don't have enough power, you can get more by adding a bigger prop or by going to a higher-voltage battery. With the Jeti, you'll have maxxed it out.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:57 PM
mickey-gem

Default RE: GP 1/4 scale Piper Cub Conversion?

Thank you for your reply. I was considering 2 Kokam 5 cell, 18.5 v 2000 mAh packs from Hobby Lobby.
I was planning on wiring them in parallel. they are rated at 15C which I believe gives a 60amp discharge in parallel.
4000 mAh for the two pack configuration. I believe the packs sre $169 a piece. Does this sound like a pack configuration
that will work for this application? I am not sure if 4000 mAh will give me adequate flight times, 6-10 minutes perhaps?
I believe 3 of these packs in parallel would be closer to my preference, but thet sure add up quick! $$$$ [X(]

Thanks for your comments!