Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Glow to Electric Conversions
Reload this Page >

Brushless Motor for a Herr 1/2A AT-6 Texan

Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Brushless Motor for a Herr 1/2A AT-6 Texan

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 12:42 PM
eparks11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless Motor for a Herr 1/2A AT-6 Texan

I'm just now getting back into RC after a 12 year break. So I started out with an E-Flight Gypsy to get used to flying again. However, in the mean time I'm building Herr 1/2A AT-6 Texan just for fun. I'm no where near ready to fly that model yet, but I'm at the point of the build where I'd like to get an engine for it. I'd like to be able to use the same 11.1v thunder power battery pack that I'm using in my Gypsy, but I don't know what motor to match up with it. I'm thinking the E-Flight Brushless Park 450 or 400 would be a good motor for it. Any thoughts?
Old 03-23-2006, 11:33 AM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Brushless Motor for a Herr 1/2A AT-6 Texan

Since this kit is designed around a Norvel .049/.061, I think the idea of using a Park 400 is just about spot-on(I assume you mean the Park 400 Outrunner, not the inrunner). The 450 would probably be overkill. In the days before brushless and lithiums, guys were successfully converting that plane using plain old speed 400 can motors and 8 cell 500AR nicad packs, so your solution is quite a bit more efficient and lighter to boot. Make sure your Thunder Power packs can handle the current this motor will draw(if they're 1320s you should be fine). Personally, I'd go for the 920Kv model and a slightly smaller prop to provide more warbird-like flight speeds.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:44 PM
eparks11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Brushless Motor for a Herr 1/2A AT-6 Texan

Sounds good; I appreciate it. Although it will be sometime before I even attempt to fly this thing. Anything approaching war bird speeds is a bit out of my control for now