Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

how much cooling

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 09:10 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much cooling

I am converting a .15 sized pica zero to electric and will be installing the lipos in the tank location.

My motor is rated at 25amp continuos and 35 peak. Lipos can handle 32 continuos and 48 peak. So lipos wont be maxed out but the motor will be pulling pretty hard on them.

Right now I plan on drilling some openings in the firewall around the top of the tank compartment. Under the tank compartment is a 1X2 inch exit for air flow. The tank compartment will be closed from the back sealing it off from the rest of the fuse. However, the batteries fill up a large portion of the tank compartment and there is not a lot of room for air to move around.

How much cooling do these batteries need? In most smaller conversions it just seems to me like it would be difficult to get alot of air around the batteries. Any tips?

Old 10-30-2006, 09:27 PM
normgoyer

Default RE: how much cooling

Hi Consider air scoops to direct more air into battery compartment and another large tube connected to a reverse scoop on the belly which will help suck the hot air out. Getting rid of the hot air is as important as getting in cooling air. Norm
Old 10-31-2006, 02:13 AM
Bern
My Feedback: (17)

Hi Gringo,

Make sure you have about twice the area of exhaust air as intake. Make several intake louvers
on top sides and bottom to get air all over the pack. Also make sure the motor is well cooled. Try not to use full power except in short bursts. Just drilling holes won't cut it. You need to direct the air were it will do the best for cooling Good Luck!

Bern
Old 10-31-2006, 01:43 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Any pics on the intakes?

I am not sure how to force the air in other than making openings on the firewall.

On the exit I plan on bending out the cowl some to form a scoop to suck air out. I will have at least twice the exit area as intake so it should do agood job of pulling air through.

Its a zero and has a round cowl and plenty of cooling for the motor and speed controller. So I a mainly worried about the batteries.