Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

What to do with crankcase vent?

Old 07-31-2003, 03:17 PM
cmassa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do with crankcase vent?

I've seen some of the newer OS 4 strokes with the crankcase vent directed back into the intake manifold. Has anyone tried modifying a Saito to do this? I think it would make less mess. Would it change the way the engine runs?

Chris
Old 07-31-2003, 05:11 PM
sdt22

I don't know if you could modify a saito to do this. When you say less mess what are you referring to. I can't tell a difference between the oil from the vent versus the oil from the exhaust. It's a mess either way. I doubt you would even notice the difference in oil residue with this modification (in regards to a mess on the plane).

IMO this would be a waste of time, unless there are other benefits to this system that I am unaware of.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:25 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Yes, there are benefits to venting the excess oil back into the intake. For one thing, instead of wasting away the oil, you will be reusing it to lubricate parts again. Also, you will be getting one oily area on the plane instead of two.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:27 PM
smokingcrater

how about venting it into the outer portion of the exhaust pipe? shouldn't be too much pressure if you are at the very end.