Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Irvine Engines

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 04:24 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Irvine Engines

I've got one of the Irvine 150's. It's very well mannered and runs well. It's a little heavy as its built. The cylinder liner is cast iron. The connecting rod ends are bushed as well as the piston pin hole...(I've never seen that before)

I've ran a couple different propellers on it, Vess 17 x 6 tached around 9000, Vess 18 x 6 around 8300 and Vess 19s got 7400 rpm. The temp went up 10 degrees to 170F....

It's not the most powerful engine available but it sure is easy to run. The Stock OS 855 muffler and attachment bolts right up.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99831.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	1557590  
Old 02-02-2011, 09:40 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats good to know, I should start looking around for a muffler for mine. Ihave never run it, it is still new.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50723.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	1557753  
Old 02-02-2011, 11:24 PM
Kostas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, how many engines have you had from OS-Irvine and other manufacturers to compare with, in order to make such claims?
Do you have any engine that does not fulfill those criteria?
Mr...

-Y-E-S-...after a total of 13y. of experience i am able to make such observations!
Old 02-03-2011, 08:14 AM
Mr Cox

So how many OS-Irvine have you had and what other engines did not fulfill those criteria?
Old 02-03-2011, 08:34 AM
Kostas1

Old 02-03-2011, 08:43 AM
Quikturn
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

He's very cute but keep him away from your balsa!
Old 02-05-2011, 11:12 AM
Kostas1

hahahaa
Old 02-05-2011, 12:33 PM
MrGreenSpeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 02-05-2011, 12:45 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Quikturn
ORIGINAL: earlwb
I don't know for sure, but here in the USA the OS-Irvine engines cost more than OS engines do. It is the bad Euro to US dollar conversion rate that is causing the problem. Also OS engines have a bad Yen to US dollar conversion rate too. So even OS engines are expensive in the USA.
I'm a bit surprised we didn't see more Irvines in the states after OS started making them. Perhaps the price remained the same or a slight price increase after the OS/Irvine introduction would explain that. For Irvine/OS, they lowered production costs. From a consumer point, I think you're getting less for the money, ie. OS carb vs Jetstream carb, nickle liner vs chrome liner and other internal changes. The end user may not notice any change in performance but longevity may be reduced.

I use to run OS engines exclusively. My Irvine 53 MkIII opened me to other engine brands such as Rossi, YS and Super Tigre.
There are two main factors as to why we don't see the Irvine engines very much over here. The first problem is the contractual obligations with the Great Planes importer in the USA. I doubt OS can sell the Irvine engines in the USA directly because of that. The Irvine engines tend to be in direct competition with OS engines anyway. So since OS makes both it sort of self defeats their purpose of selling engines in the USA. OS wanted to own Irvine so they could get a market toe hold in the UK and Europe with a recognized name, so when the opportunity presented itsefl they bought the company. The second problem is the double wammy on currency values and conversion rates. Since they have to ship the engines from Japan to the UK first and then they would have to ship them to the USA second, we wind up with a currency double conversion rate that is really bad. I suppose the extra shipping costs and taxes would be a third problem too. I thought I saw something at Just Engines or someplace like that stated they couldn't sell the engines to someone in the USA directly too. But maybe that was the Moki engines, I forget.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:09 PM
Quikturn

earlwb,

You're probably right about all this, although I can't see why they couldn't add Irvine engines to the Tower catalog. If Irvine robbed some sales from OS so what as long as overall sales are even or up. Sort of like GM complaining that Pontiac sales are robbing from Chey sales. It's all above my pay grade.

I looked at Irvine engines on the Just Engines website before. I never tried to order because the prices were high but in addition to that they had a 20% VAT. Ouch!
Old 02-05-2011, 03:29 PM
jeffie8696

Ireally just dont see the point of buying and Irvine now that they are produced by OS to OS specifications.
They lost the wonderful chrome liner and changed it enough it really isnt an Irvine any more so why not just buy an AX whatever?
Sure the carb might work just as well but I want chrome not nickel when I buy a premium engine like an Irvine. I will stick with the original English built ones when Ican find them and I have a nice collection already.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:37 PM
huck1199

For USA orders you don't pay the VAT but the prices are high and shipping is more costly as well. I have a .72, 2 x .40, and a .30 all UK made and great engines.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Quikturn

ORIGINAL: jeffie8696

I really just dont see the point of buying and Irvine now that they are produced by OS to OS specifications.
They lost the wonderful chrome liner and changed it enough it really isnt an Irvine any more so why not just buy an AX whatever?
Sure the carb might work just as well but I want chrome not nickel when I buy a premium engine like an Irvine. I will stick with the original English built ones when I can find them and I have a nice collection already.
True...True...

I only have the 53 MkIII and love it.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:30 AM
littlera

I bought a new Mark ? Irvine .40 and ran it for YEARS on a Goldberg Tiger. I finally sold it on the plane after just getting tired of the plane. This was one of the best 2-strokers I ever had. Ran absolutely perfectly - idled great, never a dead stick, powerful, smooth. Always started right up. Great carb. I think you could run this engine 50 years without wearing it out. I could see no signs of ANY wear on the great chrome liner, and of course it did not peel or wear like an OS liner. This was after many, many hours of operation over about 16 years.

Should have kept the engine and sold the plane.

littlera
Old 02-08-2011, 08:59 PM
jeffie8696

Sounds like you have a good handle on proper engine tuning and care. Can I ask what fuel you used in it.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:00 AM
littlera

jeffie,

I use Morgan's Omega fuel in all my ringless 2-stroke engines. Generally 15%. In the 4-strokes, which at least with my case all have rings, I use either 10% or 15% Morgan's Cool Power. I will also use this fuel in 2-strokes with piston rings.

I like the little bit of castor oil in the Omega for the health of the piston and liner with the tight fit at TDC. It protects against the occasional run that is a bit lean.

I have also been buying my Morgan fuels with the multi-vis oil when my LHS has it. I have no clue if this is really better or not for our applications - I do it on blind faint in a company that seems to know model fuels really well.

Regards,

littlera
Old 02-09-2011, 07:20 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Your Omega 15% that you use for your 2 strokes is also very good for those 4 strokes. I add several oz of castor to my jugs. This is a case where you are better off carrying around just one jug of fuel.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:23 AM
littlera

The two fuel routine is not really much of a hassle for me. I live pretty close to the flying field, and usually take only one plane at a time. I therefore take the appropriate fuel for the plane I will be flying.

I really prefer to use the Cool Power (100% synthetic oil) as much as possible because it doesn't put all the castor gunk all over the outside of my engines. I am sure you are right, however, as most ALL glow engines can benefit from some castor. It protects from lean runs and I believe helps the lower ends not rust. I just hate the gunk. It is still amazing to me that a natural vegetable product can possess sophisticated lubrication and protection qualities that can't really be totally duplicated by the most advanced synthesized lubricants. Amazing bean, that one.

littlera
Old 02-09-2011, 11:36 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

One thing that helps clean up is to wax the covering. Gunk wipes right off and any scuffs that dull darker shades of covering are polished. Also, bugs don't stick.
Old 09-26-2019, 11:20 PM
propstar

Default thrust

anyone tell me pos.thrust for a Irvine 53 mk1 with 9x8 prop.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:11 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by propstar
anyone tell me pos.thrust for a Irvine 53 mk1 with 9x8 prop.
It’s RPM dependent. Plug some numbers in here: Static Thrust Calculator - STRC ; NO commas or punctuation. Easy and relatively accurate from what I have seen.
Old 02-17-2021, 08:46 AM
Bensomatic

Hi All,

Is this thread dead or alive. I see the last post was 2007!!!

Anyway, my problem.
I have an almost brand new Irvine 40 ABC BB that I crashed 20yrs ago. It's been in a box ever since. The crash resulted in a lug being sheared off the silencer and somehow the carb's barrel nut, secondary needle and "O" ring are missing. I remember that when it ran it was a very strong motor and looks really well built. I've just retired and am experiencing a second birth of my RC days - would love to get this engine running again. Does anyone have such parts they may be willing to part with?
Alternatively does can anyone suggest an alternative carb that would fit and work well. (the throat of the inlet is .508 inch). And any suggestions for how to deal with the silencer would be welcome.

Thanks All.

Bensomatic
The following users liked this post:
Kostas1 (02-19-2021)
Old 02-20-2021, 08:03 AM
Quikturn

Hi Bensomatic, you’ll be very lucky to find any parts for an Irvine Jetstream carburetor. You’re best bet would be to measure the carb insert diameter and Venturi and find a suitable Perry or OS equivalent replacement.

Post some pictures of your engine.

Good luck with you search!
Old 02-21-2021, 04:43 PM
Bensomatic

Quikturn, Guess you're right, no luck so far and the broken silencer will be difficult to replace.

Guess I should sell it to someone who already has a Irvine 40 ABC that's tired. This motor has probably less than 60 mins on it.

Old 02-21-2021, 04:45 PM
Bensomatic

You know I tried to post some photos but I got an error msg saying that I needed to 10 posts before I could post a URL.
Not sure what that's about.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.