Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Leaky Irvine 53

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 03:27 PM
Skyman721
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaky Irvine 53

I just purchased a NIB Ivine 53, installed it on my plane, and began my break-in procedures. From the beginning moment, I have raw fuel leaking from my main needle valve ( knurled portion ) where it screws in. I unthreaded it, and the orange O-ring WAS there. I also have a leak from where the needle valve assmbly threads into the carb, by the fuel nipple/ valve lock spring ) . I tightened this up ( with a 5/16 open end wrench ) as much as I felt comfortable doing ( this IS soft metal!!!! ), but still have raw fuel spitting out there, too!
It appears, too, that raw fuel is emitting from where the carb mounts to the engine - I tightened her down as good as th O-ring would allow.
I ALSO have fuel coming from the seams from the muffler assembly, where the shiny barrel mates with the forward casting. I do realize that the muffler is "threaded" together, and I have tightened all that up as far as safely allowed ( without stripping it out!!!)
I can't believe all these problems on such a fine engine. I have yet to contact Irvine (Sig ? ) regarding all this.
Has this happened to anyone else's Irnive? I don't believe an engine of this craftsmanship should be this bad! I have owned several good/bad engines, and a brand new one shouldn't have all these problems!
Old 08-08-2003, 10:44 PM
rjmech
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default misunderstang of the word "raw"

Mr. Skyman721,
When you say "I have raw fuel leaking from my main needle valve" are you saying that the fuel is not fully cooked yet? It must run the combustion chamber first, so no problem there. You also said "the orange O-ring WAS there" are you sure that the o-ring should be orange? on my MDS .18 the o-ring os black, maybe yours should be also! Then you said that you used a 5/16" wrench to tighten the needle valve, this engine is English and the brits love that wentworth hardware maybe you could go get a set of wentworth tools and tighten the needle valve until it strips out and back it off 1/2 turn. You also said "I ALSO have fuel coming from the from -- the muffler assembly" this problem will aso be fixed when the engine is completely cooking the fuel, but remember that the cooked fuel will look funny and it will come out of the hole in the muffler assy, that is what happens on my car engine. I think all of your problems are coming from the engine not running, is it making any noise when you are having these problems. Also do you have the fuel line hooked up to the muffler, if not you could try that, just be sure to install the prop backwards. Hope this helps. If not I will talk to you at work on Monday.
TT
Old 08-09-2003, 02:51 AM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default irvine 53 "leaking" fuel

I think your carb leak has been answered I have 3 irvine 53s
and never had a carb problem Also I think they went metric
(at least the cap screws) as far as the muffler goes I backed
off the center bolt and locking nut used some copper coat gasket
cement in seams and retightened muffler is now dry since these
are all running davis diesel heads no mess of sooty oil residue
leaking from the muffler seams.this works and any muffler