Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Highest RPM engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 07:13 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Highest RPM engine

What is the highest rpm R/C engine used for planes.

I know Some of the F-1 engines can turn around 30,000 are there any high rpm engines in use out there. I have heard of any but just wondering.

I was also thinking how a Nelson or MB engine on a 3-1 gear/belt drive at 30,000 would run. lol
Old 08-18-2011, 07:17 AM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Highest RPM engine

I saw an article one time talking about a new Nelson .40 putting out 2.5 HP at some crazy RMP.

The author of the article was musing about putting a helical gear reduction system on it and flying a 1/4 scale plane with the .40
Old 08-18-2011, 07:32 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Shuriken .049 engine could turn a little over 40,000 RPMs once you got it tuned just right. I think if someone made a modern Shuriken using ceramic bearings, they could do better than that.
The other F1J types of engines (Cyclon, F, etc) can turn upwards of 36,000 RPMs too.
There are some videos of a guy in the UK setting a CL speed record with a special made Irvine engine turning 36,000 RPMs.
Bigger displacement engines wind up facing the challenges of physics and inertial forces with the engines, so trying to get them to turn over 30,000 RPMs is a challenge. The engines usually don't last very long either.
Years ago when I was doing pylon racing the engines were running around 18,000 to 22,000 RPms mostly. the rods and crankshafts tended to break a lot when you tried to get it to go faster. Then Nelson came on the scene and Jett followed along later.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:35 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most guys who turn that much rpm and/or are bumping up nitro to 50% pretty much accept the fact of things breaking, and the repair costs.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:39 AM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

The engine needs only to last long enough to WIN the race.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:39 AM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
Those 2,5cc CL speed engines use no nitro! 80/20 fuel!
Old 08-18-2011, 12:42 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 2.5cc FAI freeflight scene includes a number of geared engines; geared down 4:1 and turning large propellers (some three bladed) at 8,000 RPM or more.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:19 PM
noveldoc
My Feedback: (2)

The OS 30 Wankel is fierce. It will turn 17 to 18K but do it all day long.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:26 PM
Reginald

I always thought those F-1 engines did have a max of 18000 rpm ?
ORIGINAL: airraptor

What is the highest rpm R/C engine used for planes.

I know Some of the F-1 engines can turn around 30,000 are there any high rpm engines in use out there. I have heard of any but just wondering.

I was also thinking how a Nelson or MB engine on a 3-1 gear/belt drive at 30,000 would run. lol
Old 08-18-2011, 06:17 PM
earlwb

A F1J "F" engine from the Tartar Republic...http://www.gregorie.org/freeflight/f...f_engines.html
This one does around 32,000 RPMs.

This is a purpose built F1J engine from the Tartar republic.It is a twin ball race engine that is available with ABC or AACcylinder technology. It is equipped as standard with an integralbrake, flood-off inlet and pressure tapped backplate. Like manyengines from the Russian republics, it is equipped for apressurised hard tank rather than a bladder, though of courseswapping it to a bladder is quite easy. The standard head suits aNelson plug, though it can also be supplied with a head suitablefor Rossi and Novarossi plugs. The choice of head is a no-costoption.

The folding carbon propeller shown in the pictures is astandard accessory. It is available in diameters of 148, 150 and152 mm for no, medium and high nitro fuel. The pitch is notstated.

Roger Simpson ran the pictured engine on 40% nitro and itturned 29,600 rpm on this propeller. The engine's maker, IldarFaizrakhmanov, quotes about 29.500 for the ABC version and31-32.000 for the AAC version on this propeller: I don't knowwhat fuel he uses.

Lynn Pulley writes

I have been using one of these engines for about ayear and am very pleased with it. I have won several localcontests and placed high in all that I have entered. In therecent San Valeers annual, competing against about 10 other F1Jflyers,( using Cyclon 061and KC-06 engines), there werethree of us using F engines. Myself , Tony Robertson, and JeffEllington. Tony retired in the 5th round due to timer failure,while Jeff & I finished 1st and 3rd respectively just 8 secapart. My engine turned 29,500 rpm on Ildar's 152mm prop using25% nitro the day I received it. Ildar won't ship an engineunless it is turning at least 29,000 rpm on 0% nitro with a 148mmprop. My engine is now closing in on 31000 rpm with the same propand 40% nitro! This performance level has so impressed the otherflyers that I have sold an additional 10 engines for Ildar in thelast two months. Beyond the engine's performance and highquality, doing business with Ildar is a pure pleasure. He ishonest and above board, and a true gentleman in allrespects.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:21 PM
earlwb

Now then the Top 4 Cyclon F1J engines are capable of doing 41,000 RPMs. the Top3 version is probably right up there too. They use 65% nitromethane in the fuel too. Anyway as I mentioned the Cyclon engines have caught up to the Shuriken and maybe exceed it at this time. But then the Shuriken with super precision ceramic bearings is probably still its equal.
http://www.rusengines.ru/?lang=en

Top3:

Top4:

The engines Top3 and Тор4 1.0 cm<sup>3</sup> are created by us specially for small timer model FAI F1J (F1P).

Fine start and high capacity Top4 (0.65 BHP on 41000RPM). Have made its World champion 2000 and 2002 (29500RPM on the ground)! On our data - the maximal moment at 36000RPM.At weight of 67 g. it does not demand a engine mount - a back flange specially for fastening at once on model.Carefully picked up temperature mode of the motor allows to work stably practically in any weather. And rigid corner - plastic the one-blade the propeller gives good starting draft and the big height in 200...250 meters.Small маса rotating parts does not demand mechanical braking of a shaft at the end of motor flight - to pour up fuel from the power supply system such as «dummy» under pressure 1 атм instantly stops the motor, and dumps a superfluous fuel ballast.Easily maintains fuel from 65% Ni (oil - aviamodelling synthetics such as KLOTZ since castor oil is not dissolved).There is available new high - precision (Germany) radical bearings 9х17х4 mm with a firm textolite separator and increased (С5) a radial backlash 18-25 microns. Is available front bearings with increased radial backlash (С5). The engine, after simple adjustment of a degree of compression, with such bearings twists more on 1000 RPM in a range of revolutions (on different propellers) from 29000 up to 43000, and disperses model at the end of motor flight more strongly. The bearing road, but «worth powder and shot».

Old 08-18-2011, 06:31 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

For power, rpm and small size how about a CMB .45 gear drive marine engine that's Dave Marles modified, rated 5.4 hp @ 29,500. just don't expect run it too long.......you can't carry enough fuel
http://www.prestwich.ndirect.co.uk/cmbengines.htm
Old 08-18-2011, 08:06 PM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: earlwb
A F1J ''F'' engine from the Tartar Republic...
Strangely I'd never heard of an F engine (although I've never had anything to do with free flight) but one of them finished on Aussie Ebay a couple of hours ago. Brand new and went for $144.50 but the same guy has a "Y" engine for sale also which, from the looks of it, is probably an earlier version. I was tempted to try for the "F" with some vague thoughts of using it in a small CL combat model for a bit of fun .
Old 08-19-2011, 03:59 AM
earlwb

I was sorely tempted to bid for that "F" engine myself. I had thoughts about building a new small 1/2a pylon racer for the fun of it with it. Many years ago we used to hae some club racing using all out pylon racer planes with Cox Tee Dee engines. at the time that was the only high performance engine we could get.
But I resisted the urge, as I already have too many projects on the board.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:45 AM
Clancy Arnold

The highest turning engines I have are the Cox .010 TD engines.  The later ones that are Black and Silver would peak at about 27,000 RPM.  But if you get an early one in Red and Gold it can turn up to near 32,000 RPM!!

The Shuriken engines were built in Indianapolis and I knew one of the guys that were doing the test flying of the engines.  These engines were Hand Selected parts for fit.  The most impressive demonstration was when they took a Cox powered Free Flight model and measured how high it climbed in so many Seconds.  Then they switched engines and did the same test again.  No one seems to remember how much higher the Shuriken climbed, but nobody forgot the wings folding back during the climb!!

Clancy