Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Saito 180 muffler defect

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2002, 11:23 PM
wbrian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito 180 muffler defect

A couple of weeks ago the nipple on my muffler fell off my Saito 180 engine. No problem I ordered new one and installed it without a 2nd thought. Couple days later I was fueling-up and noticed fuel coming out somewhere near the carb. My first reaction was what have I done this time. Did I mix up the lines, Cut a fuel line, or something even stupider. Well to make a long story short I finally stuck a fuel line on the muffler nipple and was not able to blow air through it. Apparently this is a defect. Has anybody else experienced this?

Figuring this out was a nightmare
Old 04-17-2002, 12:16 AM
Dazzler
My Feedback: (6)

I had a similar problem on my Saito 100, but I chalked it up to my mistake. While tightening down my muffler I held the muffler from rotating and the nipple was pressing against my hand, and after about 5 flights my pressure nipple fell off. I bought a new muffler, and havent had any problems, I fixed the old one, and using it for backup. Daz...
Old 04-17-2002, 12:47 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default pressure tap

I had this problem on a Super Tigre .61 I picked up in Ohio on my way to Toledo. When I installed the tap, the thread lock I used wept up inside the tap and glued it shut. Took some head scratching to get that one figured out.
Old 04-18-2002, 12:16 AM
Blackdog
My Feedback: (3)

Default Same problem

I had the nipple blow out of the muffler on my Saito 91 and 120. I called horizon and spoke with a gentleman called travis who said they had recieved some calls on the nipples blowing out of the mufflers. When I called the first time it was for the Saito 91 and they sent me a new muffler. Well 4 months later it happen to my new Saito 120 and called again. Travis was no longer employed by horizon and the gentleman I spoke too said they were not having any problems with their mufflers.

Ever since they moved the nipple on the muffler from the header end to the exhaust end of the muffler they have blown out on me twice while flying resulting in a deadstick which ended with some kind of damage to the plane.

Where is the nipple on your Saito 180 muffler, near the header end or near the exhaust exit end??

thanks,

Blackdog
Old 04-18-2002, 01:44 AM
wbrian

Blackdog my 180 has the tap at the exhaust end of the muffler.

After I made this post I did some research on the Saito exhaust tap problems. What I found was disappointing and contrary to what I have to come to expect form Satio. Posts on Google and other threads were so numerous I didn’t have time to read them all. Apparently many people have complained to Horizon Hobby and were told that they we unaware of any such problems. I find this odd since the replacement muffler I just received from Horizon was beefed up at the pressure tap unlike the original. It was so beefed up that in production they did not tap all the way through causing me a troubleshooting nightmare. With this info I decided to call Horizon to see for myself what their story is. Well, according to Horizon they are still unaware of any problems. I told gentleman about the numerous posts online and his answer was outrageous. He said “ online posts represent only about 3% of their customers and are unbalanced since more people post to complain” I tried to explain the errors in his logic to no avail. :boxing:

My #1 manufacture (Saito) and my #1 supplier (Horizon) now add up to a Big #2 if you know what I mean!!!
Old 04-18-2002, 08:21 AM
Blackdog

Default Horizon is full of crap!

Horizon is full of crap! I agree with you. When I spoke to them for the 2nd time about my Saito 120 muffler, I asked them why they moved the muffler tap from the proximal end of the muffler to the distal end of the muffler? They said they are not having a problem with the muffler that they know about and they moved the muffler tap because they felt there was not enought beef in the area of the tap. So by moving it to the distal end you will noticed that it's tapped throught the muffler and throught the end cap of the muffler for more thickness. BUT this is where the problems started when they moved the tap to the new position.

Wbrian, Do you ever notice how the exhaust exit end cap will rotate after a while of use on any Saito mufflers? I believe this is the problem. Because now they are tapping the muffler part way throught this piece which ends up getting loose and eventually the tap blows out. I should have asked them when they started to moved the tap, if they were not having a problem with the mufflers to start......WHY FIX SOMETHING THAT ISN'T BROKE???

I love the Saito engines. But it looks like I'll be buying pitts mufflers.

Blackdog
Old 04-18-2002, 12:27 PM
capthis
My Feedback: (67)

I too lost the tap on my saito muffler. 180 I have two of these one of them is fine and the new one isn't. The older one has the tap up close to the pipe side (entrance) While the new one is close to the exit. The problem is it keeps falling out. I called horizon yesterday and they are sending me a new muffler free of charge. Every time I have called horizon with a complaint they take care of it. I don't know who I talked to but, he must have been aware of the muffler problem because there were no questions asked. Other than where to send the new one. Anyway I just thought I would share my experiences. Its a great motor if you can keep the pressure taps in them.
Old 04-18-2002, 09:11 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yes, there is a problem with the muffler pressure tap...

as you can see all kinds of people are having a problem with it. I fixed mine with JB weld and have not had a problem since.
Old 04-18-2002, 09:42 PM
Blackdog

Default Problems

I can see and relate to the fact that there are problems with the mufflers...... I wish Horizon would fess up to the fact.

Blackdog
Old 04-19-2002, 01:18 PM
wbrian

Default Re: Problems

Originally posted by Blackdog
I wish Horizon would fess up to the fact.
Blackdog
I guess it’s all about liability! Horizon knows that little things like a pressure tap falling off can cause crashes or even worse, an injury. Because of this, plausible deniably is the mindset that we have to deal with. I am so glad we have forums like this to get the truth!
Old 04-23-2002, 06:16 AM
rpmtech
My Feedback: (6)

I have, as well as 3 other friends the saito 180, and thier muffler just doesent stand up to this engines vibration and heat, as they all failed and ended up in the garbage. Saito is a top noch engine mfg and I cant believe that they dont redesign this muffler, or better yet include their flex pipe wich is the ultimate fix for this annoying problem.
Old 04-24-2002, 07:21 PM
Blackdog

Default Failed muffler?

What do you mean by failed?? Liked mentioned above with the nipple blowing out? or the muffler vibrating loose?

Blackdog
Old 05-22-2002, 07:58 PM
markus-RCU
My Feedback: (33)

I have now had 2 taps blow out of 2 mufflers on my Saito 180. They were both mounted at the distal end tapped through the end cap. I had them both red threadlocked and when that did not work I used JB Weld and that did not hold. Horizon is now supposed to be sending me a muffler plugged up and to run the pressure form the crankcase. They say they have done extensive testing and it will not hurt the engine or cause a change in performance. I'm nervous to try it but 2 different support people at horizon told me the same thing.
Anyone want to try it before I do?
Old 05-22-2002, 10:08 PM
BobbyRichardson

Default Saito 72 muffler

I too have had the same thing happen to my muffler on my Saito72. I called Horizon talked to the tech and they are sending me out another muffler. I have had issues in the past with Horizon products and they have always done the right thing by me. As a consumer I wouldn't be afraid of anything Horizon sells. I wish everyone were like them.