Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Irvine engines

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 03:17 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Irvine engines

Question all All my 53s are UK made, I think OS made some changes?? bore and stroke so if so, the piston and liner of the OS made will NOT FIT the UK version??
am I right on this one?? martin

and head if so

maybe to make things simple will parts interchange with the OS and UK made Irvine 53 MRKll ??
Old 10-24-2011, 05:38 PM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OS changed the bore and stroke which means the crankshaft, piston, liner and head aren't interchangeable and it's likely there's a different conrod as well because of the different stroke. The crankcase was altered so an OS carb could be fitted and the muffler is different but I don't know if they kept the same mount spacing. I'm fairly sure they kept the same prop nut but other than that....... .
Old 10-24-2011, 07:37 PM
jeffie8696

If replacement parts for the new OSvines would fit the older Irvines then people would just fix their old(amazing, awesome, excellent English) one and not buy a new engine.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:04 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replacement parts for UK made Irvines are still largely available from Ripmax in the UK.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:49 AM
Texas Don
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: fiery

Replacement parts for UK made Irvines are still largely available from Ripmax in the UK.
If they are, then Ripmax is keeping it a secret. I've emailed them no less than 4 times over the last 10 days. I've faxed them an inquiry once. No response at all. I'm not gritching about their customer service, since Ihaven't experienced any.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:53 AM
AMB

It looks like Irvine as we knew it is gone, Its now only a name on a red cased OS varient, really quite sad it went down that way, if I wanted an OS I would buy one. Irvine messed up on this one they should have gone an OEM contract with OS to retain as their originals,,, martin
Old 10-25-2011, 05:22 AM
Texas Don

ORIGINAL: AMB

It looks like Irvine as we knew it is gone, Its now only a name on a red cased OS varient, really quite sad it went down that way, if I wanted an OS I would buy one. Irvine messed up on this one they should have gone an OEM contract with OS to retain as their originals,,, martin
I quite agree. However the prevalent attitude on all things financial seems to be take the money and run. Older Irvine engines will be snapped up by the people who appreciated them. I've purchased two aditional .46 size since starting this thread just to be sure that I have spares. I intend to fly these engines until the prop shafts separate from the engine cases in mid air if that's possible. Not to flame anyone either, but the reason that I'm searching for parts to begin with, is that the engine was sold to me as complete and in running condition. It was only after unpacking it that I found a hand written note from the seller noting the missing O-ring on the low speed needle. Nice guy.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:58 AM
AMB

TEXAS DON Irvine messed up on this one, When supre tiger moved their manufacturing from Italy to China they went there and set it up, spent months at it, result same engine same quality, maybe Irvine should have done the same with the same company ST did. it would have assured they would be the same, no parts issue. OS wants to sell their engines big is not always better martin

Footnote I have Irvine 40s and 53s all wear Davis diesel heads, yes Davis had a run of his diesel heads for the irvine 40 diesel great upgrade
I also bought some metal backplates for the 40s from Just engines, when they still had some and ditched the plastic ones
Old 10-25-2011, 06:55 AM
downunder

I know it's easy for us to say that Irvine messed up but we don't know the financial state of the company or whatever other reason for the sale of Irvine to OS. It's quite possible that Irvine were on the verge of liquidation and OS found out about it and made them an offer too good to refuse which then enabled OS to make and sell an engine with a highly reputable name. And this is all speculation too .
Old 10-25-2011, 07:06 AM
Kostas1

ORIGINAL: Texas Don

That's a great looking engine.
Thank's a lot Sir!
Old 10-25-2011, 07:15 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as I know OS does not own Irvine. I beleive that Ripmax owns them. The owners of Irvine engines, decided to contract with OS to manufacture parts for the Irvine engines. I was thinking that OS made the parts but the engines were assembled in the UK, but after a while itchanged, I think they manufacture them inJapan now. I don't have a "new" Irvine engine, so i can't say what they stamped or molded into the crankcase as to its origin of manufacture. Maybe someone can look at their new engine and let us know.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:18 AM
jeffie8696

Funny about the low speed needle. The one in my 53 loosened and backed out on me Sunday so Ineed to affect a repair too.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:27 AM
AMB

From what I gather this nonsense does not occur "down under" example tiapans guess different sense of ethics, full support 100% of the time- martin
Old 10-25-2011, 12:48 PM
fiery

Don

Ripmax are a main distributor for various brands and tend not to sell direct to the public.

I order through a UK vendor (i.e. www.rcmodelcentre.co.uk) when I need a part stocked by Ripmax.

Give the vendor the part no., and see if they can assist. I bought an Irvine 40D Tommy Bar (in stock at Ripmax) that way

Some carb parts are shown here:

http://www2.ripmax.net/Category_List...0&Brand=Irvine

A general search on the Ripmax site under "Irvine" will reveal more.

http://www2.ripmax.net/Category_List...0&Brand=Irvine

Carb throttle stop screw here (page 37)

Part No: X-IRVCJ-1267
Name: Stop Screw/Spring Assembly

Price: £1.75

I will look for a .40 parts list for you to see if can locate some numbers.

Cheers
Old 10-25-2011, 01:42 PM
Texas Don

fiery,
The numbers will do the trick for me once I have them. I understood from the first visit to their website that Ripmax was a wholesaler but they are mentioned prominently on RCG as a source that individuals have obtained parts from. I don't expect to hear back from them. Really good news: Just Engines returned my last email. They're waiting for parts numbers from me to fill my order. I'm getting closer.
[quote]
AMB
Footnote I have Irvine 40s and 53s all wear Davis diesel heads, yes Davis had a run of his diesel heads for the irvine 40 diesel great upgrade
I also bought some metal backplates for the 40s from Just engines, when they still had some and ditched the plastic ones
[quote]
Inquiring minds want to know. Which metal back plate fits?
Old 10-25-2011, 02:43 PM
fiery

Don, for the Irvine .40 Carb.

The quantity for all pieces is one (1) each.

Part No Description
S-CJ-1235 Needle (main jet)
S-CJ-1200 Main Jet
S-CJ-1201 Needle Valve Assembly
S-CJ-1112 Body assembly
S-CJ-1255B Cam Screw
S-CJ-1179 Barrel
S-CJ-1245 Throttle arm
S-CJ-1240 Barrel nut
S-CJ-1250 Secondary needle
S-CJ-1282 Spring clip
S-CJ-1277 Fuel nipple assembly
S-CJ-1270 Barrel spring
S-CJ-SK006 Overhaul kit

My engine list give the part number for the complete carburetor as p/n S-CJ-1850.

"O" rings will be in the overheaul kit.

Part No: X-IRVCJ-SK006
Name: Carb. Overhaul Kit - Jetstream

Price: £2.25

Look at page 40 in the Ripmax listing and click on the part no. It suits your carb.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:56 PM
Texas Don

fiery,
No doubt about it. You're my HERO! I've just sent off an email to Andrew at Just Engines requesting the parts. Due to the time lag, Idon't expect to hear back from him until tomorrow. I have saved the items in a document for future use. Would it be possible for you to scan the list and send it to me as a .pdf email attachment? I'm collecting documentation for this engine since I started with nothing. I assume that the rest of the engine parts are on the same list in case I ever need a piston, rod, liner etc.
Don
Old 10-25-2011, 02:57 PM
AMB

The metal back plates fit the Irvine 40 diesel and Q40 same case. plain aluminum not the red ones martin
Old 10-25-2011, 06:21 PM
kenh3497

I used to work at a power sports dealer wrenching on motorcycles ATV's and snowmobiles. We had an assortment of tiny o-rings used in the mentioned carburetors. You night want to check with your local dealer.

Ken
Old 10-25-2011, 11:14 PM
fiery

I have always used motor cycle/power sports/auto carb "O" rings when rebulding R/C carbs. I have never bought a genuine spare. Cost of post etc makes it exhorbitant. I now have a little "O" ring collection of my own which lives in an old plastic 35mm film canister. I always buy half a dozen of whatever "O" ring I need due to low cost of the item.

If the substituted "O" ring is just slightly over sized, I install it on the needle. Using the needle as as a mandrel, with a twirling motion I very gently sand the outer edge with my finest grade glasspaper (which I lightly wet with synth model lubricant) until it fits in the housing snugly. Don't use a lot of pressure or the "O" ring may spin on the needle groove. Take it slow.

When done often the seal is better than with the original "O" ring. I lube the ring and inner housing with a thin smear of rubber friendly (brake) grease or a little model engine lubricant to ease the "O" ring in.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:07 AM
Texas Don

Anyone who claims to be a modeler should be able to make just about anything he needs. Within reason. I'm not averse to altering an O-ring originally intended for another application. That has always been my back up plan in fact. I hoped that by starting this thread, ideas would flow as well as information and I certainly haven't been disappointed. I have been in touch with Just Engines and the parts I need are being assembled by them. I've been advised that they will invoice me when the parts are ready and once paid for, will ship them promptly. That is major progress on this issue from where I started. Additionally, I have found a number of parts that will fit my engines and some that won't. I can't thank all of you enough for your ideas and contributions. I now have a focused plan for obtaining and cataloging some spares that are likely to be needed to keep my examples of these fine engines running for years to come.
One additional thought on the OS produced engines. I doubt that OS secured the rights to the Irvine line just so they could keep things going like they were. They would of course, alter the engines significantly to fit their production processes and marketing vision. Lack of carry over in the parts fitment for older models is a basic tool that any manufacturer will employ to render previous engine versions obsolete. The bad news for us in that approach is that the easy days of ordering exactly the item we need, when needed is at an end. The good news is that all of the modelers who want instant gratification will very quickly decide that their engines are near valueless because of lack of parts availability and dump them. We will be the long term beneficiaries of that activity by buying up spare engines as parts donors. It's part of the process I suppose.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:45 AM
plaurence

WoW! Thanks for this. I bought an Irvine .40 in 1991. Flew it for a few years and put it away. Took it down fron the attic last year and it started right up and had no rust. (pickled with CorrosonX).

ORIGINAL: fiery

Don, for the Irvine .40 Carb.

The quantity for all pieces is one (1) each.

Part No Description
S-CJ-1235 Needle (main jet)
S-CJ-1200 Main Jet
S-CJ-1201 Needle Valve Assembly
S-CJ-1112 Body assembly
S-CJ-1255B Cam Screw
S-CJ-1179 Barrel
S-CJ-1245 Throttle arm
S-CJ-1240 Barrel nut
S-CJ-1250 Secondary needle
S-CJ-1282 Spring clip
S-CJ-1277 Fuel nipple assembly
S-CJ-1270 Barrel spring
S-CJ-SK006 Overhaul kit

My engine list give the part number for the complete carburetor as p/n S-CJ-1850.

"O" rings will be in the overheaul kit.

Part No: X-IRVCJ-SK006
Name: Carb. Overhaul Kit - Jetstream

Price: £2.25

Look at page 40 in the Ripmax listing and click on the part no. It suits your carb.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:27 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Irvine fans, as Fiery alluded to a few post back he and I have done some "horse" er engine trading, I just received an early Irvine "bumpy port" .40 in fine shape. Pictures show where the endearing nick name comes from. I'll run it in a day or two, can't have an engine that you don't run.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90259.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	1688497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37584.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	1688498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ou49981.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	1688499  
Old 11-19-2011, 08:20 AM
Texas Don

I've seen these offered for sale on fleabay. What is the purpose of the bump? I've also received my parts from JustEngines.com and now have two excellent examples of the non bumpy port .40 engines. I also found that the low speed needle O-ring from a Super Tigre G51 carb fits the Irvine low speed needle perfectly.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:23 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

OK, I ran it a few minutes ago for about 55 minutes, I had to open the LS needle about one full turn and close the HS needle about 4 turns

Engine Irvine .40MKII
Plug===Fox Miracle
Prop==Graupner 12x5
Fuel===WildCat 5% with 18% syn/castor blend and 3 oz castor added
Max rpm===11,441
Idle======1,925 with 1,850 doable for about 30 seconds and then it begins to miss and threatens to quit. Once the needles were set there was no fourstroking or stumbling at all. Acceleration is nearly instantaneous. I ran it with a Mac's 90 sized tuned Quiet Pipe which does not effect the rpm one way or the other, it just makes it very quiet. You can see the coupler in this picture.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10916.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	1688576  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.