Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Paint In FA 180 Combustion Chamber?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 04:22 AM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Paint In FA 180 Combustion Chamber?

I received the parts to do my high compression 180 conversion on a 150 case. One of the parts was a Black Knight version of the FA 180 jug.

I noticed black paint on the champher @ the bottom of the bore.

Upon closer inspection I found a lot of black bubbled paint on the flat section of the combustion chamber.

The paint even extends right up to the machined valve seats.

The jug on my standard version FA 180 had no paint on the champhered area & it certainly did not appear to have any left in the combustion chamber. After being bench run & the fact that it was silver (not black) would have made it less obvious if there were.

Is this normal? Not only will the paint on the champher make it more difficult to slip the ring into the bore, the paint in the combustion chamber will alter the CR & flame travel.

I plan to call Horizon Monday morning.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:53 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: Paint In FA 180 Combustion Chamber?

It won't be there long.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:07 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Here is a 20+ year old well run 1.50 cylinder I ham fisted and broke the intake boss off of tightening it too tight. There is a little black paint on the bevel at the end of the cylinder.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15120.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	1752994  
Old 04-21-2012, 06:13 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would expect the paint on the combustion chamber to burn off fairly quickly. On a older engine the oil/varnish/carbon would be a layered on everything anyway. If the paint isn't interfering with the valve seats, it shouldn't be a big deal. The paint on the bottom of the cylinder where it is tapered or beveled shouldn't cause any problems either. I don't have any Golden Knight engines at this time, and the ones I had in the past, I didn't take apart, so I really don't know if paint was on the inside of those engines or not.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:12 PM
Kostas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SrTelemaster150,

do you have a thread where we can see your progress ?

Best,
Kostas
Old 04-23-2012, 04:47 PM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: Kostas1

SrTelemaster150,

do you have a thread where we can see your progress ?

Best,
Kostas

I haven't started a thread as I am just getting the parts together for some minor machining. I have releived the case for the longer stroke & remoived the forge parting line on the big end of the conrod to aide case clearance.

Here is a post in another thread that outlines some of my ground work.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=11027063

When I make some real progress I will start a thread.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:51 PM
SrTelemaster150

UPDATE ON THE PAINT IN THE COMBUSTION CHAMBER!

I spoke W/product support @ Horizon Hobby today. They expressed concern about my desciption of the bubbled paint in the combustion chamber. I e-mailed the PIX as they requested & they are studying them. They said they would contact me in the morning W/a determination.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:26 PM
SrTelemaster150

Horizon Hobby has e-mailed me a return shipment label & they are sending me a new replacement cylinder. They are planning to attempt removal of the paint in the combustion chamber when they receive the faulty cylinder..
Old 04-24-2012, 05:15 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool. they are replacing it as a just in case measure. Way to go Horizon. I like to see excellent customer service.
It is nice to see things turn out good.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:45 PM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: earlwb

Cool. they are replacing it as a just in case measure. Way to go Horizon. I like to see excellent customer service.
It is nice to see things turn out good.

Horizon has always come through on Saito warranty issues for me. Back in '97 I dismanted an FA 150 that I stuffed into some soft dirt in order to clean it out & replace a bent pushrod cover tube. I found a worn cam lobe that explaned the idle issues I had been having since I first started running the engine. I called them & they sent me a new cam, no questions asked.

As you said, excellent customer service. They even said that they were sending out the replacement cylinder immediately instead of waiting for the return of the faulty part.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:30 PM
gamellir
My Feedback: (42)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem with my saito 90TS. One of the cylinders lost compression. I pulled the jug and found a piece of paint came loose and damaged the valve seat. I had to get a new cylinder as I could never get the valve to seat properly.
The paint inside the cylinder was not bubbling, but it still flaked off. They should not be painting the inside of these cylinders. It seems that when they paint the outside of the cylinders they let the overspray get inside the cylinder, then do the machine work after.
The problem is the areas that do not get machined and still have paint on them. I would not purchase the golden night version just for this reason
Ron