Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
 My Rube Goldberg device... OS FS-90 Chrome >

My Rube Goldberg device... OS FS-90 Chrome

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

My Rube Goldberg device... OS FS-90 Chrome

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 04:49 PM
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: My Rube Goldberg device... OS FS-90 Chrome

ORIGINAL: SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: Broken Wings

ORIGINAL: SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: Broken Wings

Here are the cylinders back from the chrome tank. They came out Gorgeous.....

The surface is very smooth and uniform. I installed the ring and checked the end gap at the top of the cylinder and came up with .0046'' at the cylinder wall and about .006 at the inner diameter of the ring. there's a slight angle where he split the ring when he made it. I checked out the ring under the microscope and its really nicely made.

The first picture is without and the other two are chromed. top and bottom. My little sleeve worked perfect, as the is no chrome on the outside of the liner so it should go back into the case like its supposed to.

So, the FS 90 comes W/a non-chrome plated steel liner from the factory?
That is correct.

Just curious as to what the engine life is W/O chrome plated bores?
It's the same... [&o] I believe its all about how you take care of your engine and what you choose to run through it. There are plenty of these engines still running, they're old school, don't make a lot of power but I think they've got soul...

Hence the title, "My Rube Goldberg Device" I'm only doing it for kicks and because I have the available resources.

I wouldn't even bother if it wasn't fun.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

Hey John, mine is shinier.

Those look great waht is the next step in the process.

I think the only thing I'll do is a coat it with castor and let it cure for a while. It's round. there's really nothing more than I can do for it.

Because my current employer manufactures firearms, we do some pretty cool stuff.

There are some Nano Technologies that are REALLY fascinating. Boron Carbide is the hardest man made material available that features the ultimate strength to density ratio, exceptional high hardness, very high melting and oxidation temperatures, and a low coefficient of friction. Since the material is ceramic, it is chemically inert and suitable for harsh chemical environments. The extreme thinness of the coatings means no modification of original part dimensions.

I'm going to horse around with some of the other parts.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now you are teasing.
Ceramic
Old 06-20-2012, 11:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Broken Wings, have you test run the engine yet?

Old 06-20-2012, 11:55 AM

Not yet.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes the harder cylinder will wear the rings out somewhat faster but the sleeve last longer.  Howver some hardened steel is harder than chrome, especially nitrided steel, which from your test this obviously isn't.

Also OS typically has softer metal to speed up the break in period.</p>
Old 06-20-2012, 02:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

Sometimes the harder cylinder will wear the rings out somewhat faster but the sleeve last longer. Howver some hardened steel is harder than chrome, especially nitrided steel, which from your test this obviously isn't.

Also OS typically has softer metal to speed up the break in period.</p>
Why is that?
Old 06-20-2012, 02:53 PM

Apparently O.S. uses a hard steel ring, I can't be certain but I looked at it under the scope and it appears to be chrome. I didn't want to test it with the diamond as it's still a good part and I thought that I may ruin it. It's not cast iron.

You can use chrome rings on steel cylinder, but chrome plated liners need cast iron rings.

I took the rest of the engine apart today and we are looking at the parts to see what's next.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:29 AM

How about "nickasil"? Or a variation of a similar material? I know in the power sports realm, nickasil rules.

Ken

FWIW.... Some of the smaller lawn mower engines run a chrome ring in an aluminum bore. Sounds bass ackwards to me but it's worked for a "hundred" years.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:05 PM

ORIGINAL: kenh3497

How about ''nickasil''? Or a variation of a similar material? I know in the power sports realm, nickasil rules.

Ken

FWIW.... Some of the smaller lawn mower engines run a chrome ring in an aluminum bore. Sounds bass ackwards to me but it's worked for a ''hundred'' years.

The cylinders on my Ducati motorcycle are Nikasil. I don't have access to that technology so I'm using what I've got available. It's not like I've got to use this engine to get back and forth to work... I'm just "horsing around".

I think it was the Chevy Vega that used an aluminum block with out any cylinder liners and I believe the K&B Sportster series engines use an aluminum cylinder/liner and a chrome piston.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12606.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	1774449  
Old 06-21-2012, 02:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the Chevy Vega used some sort of a thin silica or silicon coating with embedded iron particles in it for their cylinders. If the engine overheated the cylinders distorted and the piston rings wore through the high spots, leading to lots of blue smoke out of the exhaust then.

K&amp;B Sportsters used a high silicon content special alloy aluminum for the cylinder and crankcase. With a chrome piston it is sort of a reverse AAC kind of a engine. It does seem to wear really well though, as long as it gets plenty of oil. The engines tend to last a amazingly long time as long as they have decent oil in the fuel.

Fox does sell a couple three engines with ceramic coated cylinder liners. These seem to work really well.
I think Norvel uses a similar if not the same process on some of their engines too.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:52 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

If it was on a Vega, I don't want it.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:25 PM

On the rear end of the engine there's a plug with the OS emblem on it. I was thinking about machining a rotor and a mount for the electronic ignition pick-up. The end of the cam shaft is held in a bearing at the rear end and the left hand thread slotted screw holds it in place.

My electronic ignition is a "auto-advance" type and is meant to attach to the front end of the crank shaft that uses an aluminum collar/magnet that attaches to the propeller hub.

I assume that the ignition fires on every stroke when it's attached to the crank and will only fire once every four strokes when attached to the cam. (maybe its half as fast...I'll have to look at it again)

My question is, will it still advance the timing? How do these things work? I remember the very early electronic ignition versions used a mechanical advance with linkage to the carburetor.

The magnet has two sides, one is red. Does the red side go toward the pick-up?
Old 06-22-2012, 04:55 AM
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Earl, I had a 1973 Chevy Vega Kamback wagon with the 110 hp engine and a BorgWarner 3 speed automatic. I installed Koni shocks and made my own 2.5" exhaust system from the engine back. It had a Thrush Turbo muffler on the end. (the one with Woody Wood Pecker smoking a cigar) When driving north on I 77 from Parkersburg, W Va. there are shear rock walls in a couple of places and I could clearly hear that exhaust echoing off of the rock wall. I ran Arco graphite oil in to 197,000 miles. It was good one. That thing could corner as if on rails.

John, I'm anxious to see a piston in one of those. Thanks, Dave
Old 06-22-2012, 06:22 AM

The HB 40 & 61 PDP "Blitz" engines were chrome liner/ringed.

I hope it works... I'm getting antsy to see it run as well.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:32 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You were lucky to get 200,000 mi. They had such a bad rep. that they had to change the motor to the "Iron Duke", and then change the car name to Monza. I had one of those with a V8.Then they kind of remodelled it later and called it a Camaro.The Vega's were a good candidate for the V8 too. You could get a cheap one with 40,000 miles with a worn out motor. A guy in town used to chrome plate cyl. for Supertiger and Rossi .15's and he always kissed them with a hone to make sure they were perfectly round. There was always a buildup around the ports and edges. A four stroke has no ports, so it should be ok.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:48 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Dave,

I had a 73 Vega GT 4 speed. I didn't have the good experiences that you did. It was a good looking car with black stripes on white paint. It also had white letter Firestone Wide Ovals. It handled okay from what I remember. The rubber timing belt is what gave me problems. The distributor cap was barely snugged up because I had to get out often and either advance or retard it depending on weather in Atlanta. Also, the unibody construction was a major pain if you needed body work done.

Didn't you have to jack up the engine on the original Monza to get to a spark plug?
Old 06-22-2012, 09:15 AM

Ahhh... The Vega GT, that was the High Performance model. I remember the commercials "Feel the power of a Thousand Horse Flies" or something of the sort.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:39 AM

Iunderstand some Porsche flat 6 engines were aluminum bores with plated pistons.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:59 AM

ORIGINAL: earlwb

K&B Sportsters used a high silicon content special alloy aluminum for the cylinder and crankcase.

The Vega engine used this. I remember cause I was working in a GM dealership at the time.

It used a special hone to strip the aluminum away while leaving the silicon "sticking out" for the piston & rings to rub on....... or something like that[&:]

Ken
Old 06-22-2012, 01:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Monza spark plugs were hard to get out.  I had trouble, I am not sure but I may have left one old one in for the 5 years or so that I had it.  My 67 Cougar was even worse from what I remember.(which isn't much from 1976 man)
Old 06-22-2012, 03:16 PM

ORIGINAL: jeffie8696

I understand some Porsche flat 6 engines were aluminum bores with plated pistons.

It was the V8 in the 928 back in the early/mid '80s.

They didn't stay W/that design long.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:55 PM

I put the engine back together and it feels pretty good turning over. I'm itching to see how/if the liner holds up.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:08 PM

So are we BW.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:50 AM

I braved the Florida Heat today and ran six tanks of Power Master GMA 10/22 through the engine.

I had a wonderful time, ....Glow fuel and oil all over my hands that I wiped on my T-shirt that was then used to wipe the sweat off my face. Before you know it I was covered in smokey exhaust fumes from a Way Too Rich miniature engine belting out a mufflerless song...Good Times.

I'll take the top end off tonight and have a look at the liner. I didn't find any particles or anything unusual. It runs like a champ.

A couple blurry photo's .......

I didn't expect to see much if any wear. I wanted to see if the chrome was going to come off and it didn't so I think I'm OK. I couldn't find any particles.

While I had the head off I checked the spark plug fit for the ignition. There's an OS F Glow Plug, a RCEXL (the short thread) and a Rimfire VR2L that has longer threads and a little more reach.

I want to use the longer reach plug as the RCEXL plug looks too short.

I'm glad I took the head off because the head isn't threaded all the way through to the combustion chamber. I ordered a new OSG 1/4-32 plug tap to finish cutting the threads in the head.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83256.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	1779537   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65288.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	1779538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82502.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	96.7 KB