O.S. FSR 60 Bearing removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 03:09 PM
aa1a
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O.S. FSR 60 Bearing removal

Hello All,
I picked up a nice old FSR 60 ringed (not a 61) on eBay. The bearings are a little rough so I want to change them. I disassembled the engine but I can't get the propeller flange off and the crank out. The Crankshaft has a ring that protrudes out of the face of the flange. I can't tell if it is part of the crank, the flange or a separate part altogether. I don't see a pin or ring holding it in place. I'm wondering if it is a pressed fit and I need a puller to get it apart. I saw another one on eBay that looks the same so I don't think it's a modification. Anyone have any experience with this engine and can offer some advice?
Thanks,
Jim
Old 04-05-2013, 03:59 PM
vpresley
My Feedback: (162)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: O.S. FSR 60 Bearing removal

Hi

I have changed the bearings on a 61 FSR. The prop drive collet is a tapered press fit. I had a puller, (Maybe a battery terminal puller) with 2 arms and a center drive that was threaded. Just lined it up, a few turns of the puller and it comes off. Be sure not to lose anything underneath the drive. The tapered piece on the end of the crankshaft comes off. If you need to remove it be careful not to distort it. As for removing the bearings. I put the case in the oven, maybe 300 to 350, warmed it up, (Either wife not home or your single), a couple taps on a wood board the rear bearing fell out. Using a oven mitt and a wood dowel, I tapped out the front bearing, came out easy. As for reassembly, I froze the bearing, heated the case again, the rear bearing went in easy, as did the front bearing. I am sure there are many ways to do the same thing, this is just mine.

Vince