Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Irvine 53's

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2002, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Irvine 53's

Hi All I would appreicate any information regarding these engines.
I just purchased 2 of the 53's.. I ve read soo many good reports on them..I would like to hear from any one who's acutally have run them..Need some hints on break in/fuel/prop sizes, etc.
They are going to be put 40 size planes.
Thanks Dan
Old 04-24-2002, 11:29 AM
My Feedback: (19)

Default Irvine 53's

I have 2. I run apc 12-4 and graupner 12-5 both on fun fly's. They have a broad prop range, anything from an 11x5 to a 12.5 x 5 IMO.
Use fuel with some castor in it, no more than 10% nitro. I broke both mine in quickly, 1 minute right on the verge of peak. cool, do it again, cool set and fly. Of course there are many ways to break in an engine. They are great little motors. BTW those little handles on the needle bar have a way of getting bent-broken. Or maybe thats just me
Old 04-24-2002, 12:08 PM

Default Irvine 53's

The prop range is actually etremely large. when I asked from Justengines, they told me that anything up to 13x8 can be used.

If your plane is light, try Apc 13x6. At 10 000+ rpm it gives very nice and quiet stop and go hovering performance to my Sig Ultimate FF. For best performance in a faster plane 12x5 might be a right choise. APC also produces a 13x4 that is the one to be used in 3D flying.

The 53 in very tight when new but break in has no suprises. As stated, 10% nitro in enough and the small needle valve extension is very easy to break (who cares). OS 8 is good plug to start with.
Old 04-24-2002, 02:36 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Default Irvine 53's

I run an 11X7 and a 12X6 on mine, one for speed, one for power. This is one of the nicest running engines that I've ever owned, and runs like a top...haven't had a dead stick with it yet.

BTW with a modified muffler, I am running 13800 RPM's on the ground with the 11X7. The thing is a monster.
Old 04-24-2002, 02:45 PM
My Feedback: (21)

Default Irvine 53's

How much does the irvine cost in american dollars? I see 72$ at justengines but I know that can't be the right price. At quantumodels I've seen it for 130$
Old 04-24-2002, 02:46 PM

Default Irvine 53's

that's 72$ in European pounds. Mine from Just engines that I bought about 3 months ago cost right at $100 including shipping.
Old 04-24-2002, 09:55 PM
My Feedback: (23)

Default Irvine 53's

I just bought one too!

Actually, Just Engines' current price for the Irvine .53 is £67.50, that's British Pound Sterling. Customers outside EEC don't have to pay the VAT, so with the current exchange rate that works out to be ~US$83. Add about £9 (or US13) airmail postage, and the final total price delivered comes to US$96.

And right now if you buy over £100 worth of stuff, Just Engines will credit you £5 toward shipping cost. Not bad.
Old 04-25-2002, 03:18 PM

Default What mods. to muffler?

tmproff,

How are you modifying your muffler? Do you, (or anyone else) use a mousse can pipe on an Irvine .53? I just made my first MCP. Thank you!
Old 04-25-2002, 03:50 PM
My Feedback: (19)

Default Irvine 53's

I just take the baffle out of the muffler, I alsc have one running the macs 1 pc black nuffler. They both work about the same IMO. There is enough reserve power for a 5 lb fun fly that I havent had any reason to investigate pipes or Mousse cans
Old 04-26-2002, 04:34 AM

Default Irvine 53

Hi Dan,

I have had two 53's almost since Sig started selling them two years ago. Or was it three? Anyway I really like them. The first one started on the second flip and has never needed an elec. starter. The second one was so tight that I thought I had broken it when I tired to start it for the first time. It locked up and I had to remove the glow plug and drip oil into it. I worked it loose by hand and put and elec. starter to it for its first and last time. It has also always been started by hand since. The responce and power of these two engines still impress me and haul my heavey TopCat around with authority.

First airplane with one was a Kouger and it hauled XXX as the ST 45 never could with it. I think I had it twisting an 11 x 7 or 8 and it really moved. My son and I got into funfly types after that and I had it in a MW Sukoui (another lead sled) but it did great with that engine and still has one of them on it today. That plane is over built (I just can't leave well enough alone sometimes) and the 53 was fitted with an APC 12 x 6. It would drag the little plane in the air 15 feet down the grass run way if you gave it full stick. Both of those engines have seen time in Sig SE with as good or better results than anyone else at my old field. (APC 12.25 x 3.75 and Zinger 12 x 4) Also, they are pretty tuff, don't ask but both have been stuffed into the ground. I did have to replace a broken carb. on one. But when you think about it WOT at 90 degrees into the ground...with just a new carb. - that ain't bad!

I broke the first one in per the book and the second one flew after its first tank of fuel. That is how much I trusted this engine. I have never leaned them all the way to peak I stay a good 500 rpm or so on the wet side.

Here is a trick I am sure will work with your engines after the first tank. Choke with your finger until is makes a squishy sound. Hook up the battery and flip it backwards like you snap you fingers. It will start on the first or second flip if the battery is good. I have had great luck with OS plugs and even some of the cheap ones too.

I am now making a mousse can muffler for one to see if I can get a little more rpm with a 12.25 x 3.75 APC. I hope if anyone reads this and has done the mousse can thing with a 53 they might pass it on to the rest of us.

My can is the larger 1.75" OD can anyone have any thoughts?
Old 04-26-2002, 01:45 PM

Default Irvine 53's

The Irvine muffler that it comes with is terrible quality (In my opinion) If I took out the baffle, the engine would not run correctly, so I put the baffle back in, but bore it out a few cm's. I am in the process of making a mousse can muffler (have all the parts) But as good as the engine is running now, I doubt I will need it. If you are going to make a plane that needs a .40-.45, this is definatly the engine for you! It has the exact same engine displacement as an OS .46 with a ton more power (it does run a little louder as well)

OH, BTW, here is a link to the mousse can instructions:

http://www.spadtothebone.com/SPAD/Mufflers/
Old 04-26-2002, 08:16 PM
hat

Default Irvine 53's

Originally posted by Shortman
How much does the irvine cost in american dollars? I see 72$ at justengines but I know that can't be the right price. At quantumodels I've seen it for 130$
g
I was in touch with Just Engines last week- They
quoted me in British ponds, supplied a conversion factor,
added $10 for airmail and multiplied all x 1.44 for
duty, which came to 93 Bucks.

Harvey Thomasian