Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

New Fox engines?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 08:06 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Fox engines?

yep u are young and iam 81 you just dont know what your talking about have a good nite
Old 06-17-2013, 10:19 PM
iskandar taib
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Charley

Hi, 10 WK,

I wuz kinda funnin'. I seriously doubt if anyone was making model engines in 1945. Shux, we were fighting a war and raw materials were in short supply.
One of these things, probably:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310682762981

Yes, they made them during the war. Which probably explains the horrible quality. Also the fact that they came from America's Hobby Center. They're famous for NOT running, and if they did, they didn't do so for very long. (And this guy wants 750 bucks for one!

Iskandar
Old 06-17-2013, 10:22 PM
iskandar taib
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

yep u are young and iam 81 you just dont know what your talking about have a good nite
What exactly WERE we talking about?

Iskandar
Old 06-18-2013, 02:56 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

ORIGINAL: iskandar taib

Iskandar
I made a comment about my old 1983 Fox .40 eating a circlip. That @.msn guy said:

circlip? trade it in on a os engine
And that bugs me. Fanboys.....[&:]

Get rid of your Foxes, STs, TTs, Webras, etc. and buy OS!!!!!!!! Lmao.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:00 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Huh... Yup. I have NO clue as to what I'm talking about.

It's too bad some people can't see beyond their rose colored glasses.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:08 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

circlip? trade it in on a os engine

Yeah trade an engine that has a circlip that groves the liner, but will still run well for one that will peal the liner and crap out. Fantastic trade! Last OS engine lasted a few years and the bearings rusted. Ran well but was crap in a short time.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:12 AM
Sport_Pilot

It's a 1983 series 5 engine. Rear ball race front bushing. Not made for many years.
If they still have parts for it, then it is still under warranty. You could get lucky, give them a call!
Old 06-18-2013, 05:17 AM
Sport_Pilot

i have some os engines for 15 yrs now all run good
My newest Fox is 25 years old, about worn out and it runs as well or better than any of my engines. My oldest is about 35 years old and still runs great.

Nobody made model engines in 45, a war was going on, and certainly not OS as Japan was rubble.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:13 AM
Sport_Pilot

I think you have forgotten more than you learned!
Old 06-18-2013, 06:15 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

It's a 1983 series 5 engine. Rear ball race front bushing. Not made for many years.
If they still have parts for it, then it is still under warranty. You could get lucky, give them a call!
I emailed Sharon a couple years ago. She said no parts are available for this engine. The P/L I got came from earlwb. It had one circlip in the piston, I took a clip from another engine that fit the groove and that clip came out. Rear transfer port got knicked up and the piston and liner got a hefty scratch in it. I think there is still a fragment of the steel clip embedded in the piston.

When it happened, it was somewhat dramatic. Running about 9,000rpm happily, the rpm dropped slightly and then the engine stopped DEAD and spun the prop and prop nut right off. Had a heck of a time getting the piston loosened up so the crank would turn.

I JB Welded C clips into the piston to hold the wrist pin in the piston, but after almost an hour of runtime and two circlip incidents, compression was very low. The idle mixture was obscenely rich and I figured its not worth running it anymore. I was about a half hour from being ready to put it into service. If another P/L came available that fits, I'd try again if the price was right. I doubt this will happen though.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:19 AM
Sport_Pilot

Iskandar

LOL he may think 1QwkSport2.5r doesn't know what he is talking about, but in some cases he doesn't know who he is talking to!
Old 06-18-2013, 06:23 AM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

Huh... Yup. I have NO clue as to what I'm talking about.

It's too bad some people can't see beyond their rose colored glasses.

He may have been in this hobby a long time. And he has some old OS engines. But it is obvious he never ran more than a few tens ofgallons through his OS engines. Else he would know they do not last long.

Unless perhaps he was onlybuying the higher end and larger OS engines, which are better quality. Even so he could have picked a much better brand.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:35 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

If a guy can't run a Fox engine he probably can't run any engine. Sport, Earl, 1Q and Isky, you gents are letting a couple of clueless guys troll you right into getting upset. Just keep it on the Fox subject and all will be pieceful. Thanks
Old 06-18-2013, 06:37 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

I know some of the older OS engines were decent, but even then they were still loose. I looked at an old OS .15 cross flow iron/steel engine at my RC car shop. It was unrun, had the box and paperwork, but the piston fit was loose. My Enya ss30's P/L fit before being run-in felt like it was ABC. The OS was nowhere near the same feel.

The OS car engines have true Chrome plated brass liners, I wonder why they cheap out on the aircraft engines.

Edit: Hobbsy - I wasn't getting riled up... Well maybe a little, but I'm done now.

Edit II: do the Eagle IV's come ringed only or can they be had in ABC fashion (current production)?
Old 06-18-2013, 06:46 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well years ago it was great as people would give me or sell me their Fox engines cheap after they gave up on them. Normally all I had to do was adjust the carb and the engine was good to go. I used to upset people when I flew the the engine I got from them the next weekend OK.  Of course nowadays I am about the only one left flying any Fox engines anymore at my flying field. So I don't get the engines anymore from other people like that.

One thing on the "circlips" or similar clip things, you can only use them once.  You always use a new one when you pull off the old one. You cannot reuse them. The circlips are quite brittle and can only be stretched or flxed one time to install and that is it. In some applications it may not be too important, but with the model engines where the things are inside of the engine, you always want to use a new one and not reuse the old ones.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:48 AM
Hobbsy

I thnk they only come in ringed now. I have an ABC .74 from about 1991 and I have one ringed .74 and about 3 ringed .60s. One .60 is an Eagle III. I hope this is the correct picture. Yes it is and you caught me with a SuperTigre carb on it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57277.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	1892953  
Old 06-18-2013, 06:50 AM
Sport_Pilot

I took a clip from another engine that fit the groove and that clip came out.
Probably an undersized groove in the piston.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:58 AM
Hobbsy

Here's what a circlip can do, this is a SuperTigre 4500 piston. I talked to Bob Davis about this piston, he advised me to clean the ring groove up with a jewelers file and use a new ring. I did so and installed a new Frank Bowman ring.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48713.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	1892957   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33140.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	1892958  
Old 06-18-2013, 07:00 AM
Hobbsy

I've never had to install a new ring on a Fox engine.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:11 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

I mic'd the Fox clip and the clip I pulled from the other engine. The wire diameter of the reused clip was .002" thinner than the new Fox clip. I'm guilty of not caring all that much at the time because it fit so well, I didn't think it would come out. There could be an underlying reason as to why the clip came out. This was the demise of the original piston and liner too. Perhaps there is too much play in the wristpin causing it to "hammer" the clip. The clip I reused did not come from the old fox piston. Since one clip broke, I didn't want to use the other one.

The engine still runs, but needs an electric starter to start it. If I could get the embedded clip piece out of the piston, I might run it more and see if maybe some castor varnish will fill the scratch some. Doubtful though.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:28 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Charley
Hi, 10 WK,
I wuz kinda funnin'. I seriously doubt if anyone was making model engines in 1945. Shux, we were fighting a war and raw materials were in short supply.
One of these things, probably:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/310682762981

Yes, they made them during the war. Which probably explains the horrible quality. Also the fact that they came from America's Hobby Center. They're famous for NOT running, and if they did, they didn't do so for very long. (And this guy wants 750 bucks for one!
Iskandar
Actually the GHQ engines were made from 1938 though WWII and forsometime afterwards too. But it was weird how AHC was able to keep making and selling the engines during WWII with all of the materials shortages at the time.
The French and British even made some model engines during WWII as well, but not in any big numbers though.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:34 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it seems like a lot of people dont have good luck with engines like we do here in california and i do have a feeling most of you dont know what your talking about
It appears that you are are making that remark towards some very experienced modelers. You may want to modify that comment a bit......

I'm with 10Qwk and others on buying the disposable engines brand. And the comment about scooters too!!![:@]
Old 06-18-2013, 07:50 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: blw

I'm with 1Qwk and others on buying the disposable engines brand. And the comment about scooters too!!![:@]
LoL! I figured a few if you guys would like the scooter bit. I used to ride, wish I still could. Someday I'll ride again.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:51 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

you do not know what your talking about>>> engines made in and befor 1945>>>> mc coy>> k&b>> o&r...veco>>> johnson>>> rossie>>> forster>>> and many more so ill not answer any more to you your to dumb>
Old 06-18-2013, 11:00 AM
Sport_Pilot

you do not know what your talking about>>> engines made in and befor 1945>>>> mc coy>> k&b>> o&r...veco>>> johnson>>> rossie>>> forster>>> and many more so ill not answer any more to you your to dumb>
Not one of those companies made engine in 1945, before and after yes, but not during 1945.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.