Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

I need help finding an onboard glow driver with specific properties!

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

I need help finding an onboard glow driver with specific properties!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 03:53 PM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I need help finding an onboard glow driver with specific properties!

I have two Maxx Products (MPI) onboard glow drivers and I really like 'em, but I have an issue now that I've upgraded my Rx packs to higher voltage (A123 6.6v). The MPI drivers will not function with a Rx voltage higher than 6v, which means running a regulator -- not ideal!

So... is there any onboard glow driver out there that will drive 2 or 3 cylinders, (I will need one of each), is switchable from the Tx (separate channel), and is tolerant of >6v? Ideally, I'd also like to use the Rx pack to power the glow driver as well.

I've looked at the Sullivan, RAM, and McDaniel units and they all fall short of the mark. What I really need is an updated MPI-style unit that allows manual control and works with higher voltage!

Anybody??
Old 06-30-2014, 06:19 PM
Rv7garage

Or... should I look into a solution like CH Ignitions?
Old 07-01-2014, 05:18 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

A single glow plug requires about 3A of current to glow in the 'ideal' range. Unless you have a seriously large Rx pack, I'd not use it to power your Rx and O/B glow. Based on your criteria, I'd go the ignition route.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:25 PM
Rv7garage

Yeah, that's what I'm leaning towards at this point. I mean, the battery can handle it, it's a 2500 mAh A123 , only for starting, and will not be used to keep the engines running (no band aids, ha).

Somehow I'm just not ready to take the CDI plunge yet. I really like simplicity, see
Old 07-01-2014, 06:10 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Rv7garage
Yeah, that's what I'm leaning towards at this point. I mean, the battery can handle it, it's a 2500 mAh A123 , only for starting, and will not be used to keep the engines running (no band aids, ha).

Somehow I'm just not ready to take the CDI plunge yet. I really like simplicity, see
I get ya.. I like the K.I.S.S. principle myself. I bring a couple charged drivers and some spare cells for the drivers. Have a tough installation or inverted engine? Remote glow clip. Still simple.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:20 AM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
Why not two 10A diods in series?
Old 07-05-2014, 11:50 AM
Rv7garage

Jaka- will the diodes interfere with the control signal? I need this to be a switchable device, via a spare channel...
Old 07-06-2014, 11:12 AM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Diodes are used in the "step-down regulators", the voltage drop is about 0.7-0.9V depending on the current-draw (and diod).
Old 07-11-2014, 09:30 AM
Rv7garage

I found a solution that will allow me to continue using my favored MPI onboard glow. I bought the Smart-Fly servo voltage regulator from Chief Aircraft, its a 3A 5.7v simple regulator that also passes control signal, works like a charm. Now I don't need a regulator for the whole system; just the onboard glow- which is not critical if the regulator fails. Very happy!