Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Super Tigre .61 Dead Stick Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 01:19 PM

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by computermonkey
Hello 1QwkSport2.5r

One of the issues I've seen with Super Tigre's beside people not knowing about the mid-range fuel adjust and using to high of nitro is the schnuerle ported engines are bad about fuel squinching the glow plug.

With these problems address they are every bit as powerful, long lasting as any other engine out there and a whole lot lower in price.

Merry Christmas
From what I've read of others' experience, it's the opposite in regard to quenching the plug. Normally it's the cross flow baffle piston engines that run better with idle bar plugs because the intake charge hits the baffle and goes straight up toward the plug. Schnuerle engines have the ports laid out so there isn't one solid stream shooting towards the plug but rather three charges that converge below the plug creating a swirl effect below the plug. I've tried using idle bar plugs in SuperTigre engines and never had any luck with them regardless of the time of year. I use the same plug in all of my Tigres and they always run well provided the tank doesn't get real foamy. I use tuned mufflers or tuned pipes on all of them so they're all revving up a bit higher than most folks that use regular mufflers and I never have any issues. I usually get 1-2 seasons on a plug even in the S90 that's revving to 14k-14.5k. Like they say, there's always more than one way to skin a cat.

Who'd have thought an idle bar plug would run better in a 4-cycle than the heavily pushed OS F plug? Works good for me!
Old 12-24-2014, 06:01 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you bench testing with the same fuel tank as you are running in the plane...I also noticed that you have a Morris Hobbies Su-Do-khoi which i think the fuel tank is inside the wing or mounted between the wing and the engine..Make sure you're clunk is free enough and flexable enough to swirl around the rear of the tank on all sides...and another thing to check is the distance from the clunk inside the fuel tank to the Carb..About 7" is the most a non pumped 2 stroke will push fuel to run the engine reliable at full throttle. There are exhaust systems you can get that will boost the pressure a bit, like Jett Or Nelson Mufflers, but come with an expense..Hope this helps
Old 12-25-2014, 06:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 3 61's and a 45. They are good running engines. The mystery screw in the throttle linkage arm probably needs to be opened up slightly. It is very sensetive. Use a 1/8" flat screwdriver and turn it CCW about 1/16 of a turn. Keep trying until you get it right. I use Fox Idle bar glow plugs and they work fine. Use a 12-6 or a 11-7 prop.
Thanks,

Larry Kopecky
Conyers, Georgia