Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Tank position

Old 01-04-2015, 05:47 PM
NoOneFlysAtMyClub
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tank position

I am building my first plane with inverted engines. The plans (1962) show the tank centered on the crankshaft. I run all my engines sideways with the tank on the crankshaft and carb spraybar. Should I set it up as shown on the plans or move it down to center on the spraybar?

Thanks, Tony
Old 01-05-2015, 05:42 AM
flybyjohn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a rc nobler that has an inverted engine and the tank is up centered on the crank. It seems to run just fine that way, however I do notice that sometimes after fueling, the fuel from the tank will drain slowly into the carb but just drains out the top of the carb because it is inverted. I find that if I make sure the throttle is closed, there is a lot less fuel drainage.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:53 AM
NoOneFlysAtMyClub

I thought I would ask just in case it might work better on the carb center line. There is plenty of room for the tank to be as low as the carb center line. This plan was from the no muffler days, however, the plan does show a engine with a carb on it.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:53 PM
greggles47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The CL mantra is to line up the fuel feed with the spray bar. Has worked for years.

Most modern CL aerobatics models have tanks that are adjustable. The difference 1/16" makes can be critical in having lap times equal upright & inverted, but I guess this isn't as important for rc sport models.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:06 AM
Mr Cox

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep the tank centered on the spray bar in the carb, or slightly lower. Otherwise you will have problems with a too rich idle. This is especially important on inverted set-up, as they are a little more sensitive towards a too rich setting.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:08 AM
jaka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi!
Agree! it's important that the tank is centered on the carb, especially so on an inverted engine!
Old 01-08-2015, 10:27 AM
NoOneFlysAtMyClub

I was leaning towards centering it on the spraybar. Thanks for the input, Spraybar it is.