Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

I need to know what size prop adapter nut do i need for a evolution 1.0 ?

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 08:55 PM
rcworld2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need to know what size prop adapter nut do i need for a evolution 1.0 ?

any help would be helpful thank you
Old 02-26-2016, 12:59 PM
JohnB96041

and while you wait for your answer, I have an additional question. How do you keep your muffler bolts from coming loose? I have a new Evolution 33gx and can not keep the muffler bolts from coming loose. Will Nord-Locks solve the problem?
Old 02-28-2016, 07:08 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I'm just guessing the prop on the 1.0 is probably 5/16-24, but I'm just guessing there. As for muffler bolts coming loose - verify without a doubt the engine isn't running too hot. 95% of the time, loose muffler screws are due to overheating (lack of baffling around engine), the other 5% of the time is due to people using gaskets. Use some RTV silicone (thin film), snug the screws and snug them up one more time with the engine warm.

And what I mean by verifying the engine isn't overheating - use a temp sensor or at the very least an infrared thermometer. Don't go by feel or sound. Gasoline engines are less telling when they're lean than a glow/methanol engine is.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:12 AM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If there is a muffler gasket between the muffler and the exhaust get rid of it. It compresses slightly allowing the screws to rotate out. Use permatex or high heat silicon instead
Old 02-28-2016, 01:59 PM
JohnB96041

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
I'm just guessing the prop on the 1.0 is probably 5/16-24, but I'm just guessing there. As for muffler bolts coming loose - verify without a doubt the engine isn't running too hot. 95% of the time, loose muffler screws are due to overheating (lack of baffling around engine), the other 5% of the time is due to people using gaskets. Use some RTV silicone (thin film), snug the screws and snug them up one more time with the engine warm.

And what I mean by verifying the engine isn't overheating - use a temp sensor or at the very least an infrared thermometer. Don't go by feel or sound. Gasoline engines are less telling when they're lean than a glow/methanol engine is.
Engine has never been hot or run hot. Engine is installed in a 30cc Valiant and has the baffling installed per instruction book. I have used red loctite 271 and ultra copper permatex gasket material. Still comes loose after the 3rd or 4th flight.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:30 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnB96041
Engine has never been hot or run hot. Engine is installed in a 30cc Valiant and has the baffling installed per instruction book. I have used red loctite 271 and ultra copper permatex gasket material. Still comes loose after the 3rd or 4th flight.
Then the baffling likely isn't correct for the engine. It doesn't matter what's right by the mfg of the plane - the plane isn't burning the fuel.

Every time someone that has a gas engine with muffler screws that come loose and has used loctite red and silicone with the problem still present, heat is the problem. 99% of the time anyway.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:13 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

John, the muffler has a gasket with it, the best thing is to lose the gasket, gaskets invite mufflers to come loose by allowing a tiny bit of flex which leads to big flex and ruined muffler bolts, etc.

Sorry, Dennis beat me to it.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:44 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Evolutions don't really need the gaskets, so when I run out I just don't use them. But, the supplied ones work fine with all of the Evolutions I've been around. I've never heard of the mufflers flexing or coming loose. This may be an OS and Magnum characteristic, but I don't think I've heard of any problems with Evos.

The best way that i've found to hold those muffler bolts to stay put is to pour some alcohol in the threads of the engine and muffler (if the engine section is threaded....I forgot) and wipe it all clean. Swab in some epoxy mixed 50/50 and let it run into the threads of the muffler. I've then screwed in the long bolts with the epoxy wet and after it has dried and both ways always works. They stay put. They are easy to back out when you need to and then reassemble afterwards. I think what happens is the threads cut into the dried epoxy and cuts it all up into a million boogers and that holds the threads firmly. Anyway, it works and I use it for backplate screws too.

Last edited by blw; 03-05-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:03 PM
JohnB96041

I put nord-lock washers on both bolts and now have 8 flights and the muffler is still very tight. Go Nord-Lock Washers.