Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Magnum .30Fs

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 07:58 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Magnum .30Fs

I have had this sitting new in box for years and years. I was thinking of get a easy flying simple cruiser ARF. I was looking at the Phoenix Sonic 25 high wing trainer. I know it would not be a power house but should fly it around in a cruiser fashion. Not after high speeds just easy relaxing lawn chair sitting flying.

Run the engine or leave it in the box and get a .25 2s or go E power?

Buzz.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:27 AM
Stoneweapon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The suggested application will work out.
If the FS30 is in good condition it will have no problems with a 25 sized trainer.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:51 PM
Dealspeed
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is also a number of electrics that can be easily converted to glow power, could be pretty cool to have a small 4 stroke on a 480 size stick or maybe a eflite slick 540
Old 01-17-2017, 08:59 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one on a Global T6 which is an ARF version of the House of Balsa T6. Fast with a 9--7. Even a bit fast with a 10-6. But the T6 is .20 sized. Yeah it will power a .25 sized model but will be a bit sluggish.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:43 AM
blvdbuzzard

Sluggish is fine. I want a lawn chair cruiser. Fly it with the trim not the stick. Maybe lay back in a chase lounge, under the shade of an umbrella, sipping a drink as I fly around the little putt putt plane. I always look back and see I flew my Goldberg Cub with full wing on an O.S. .48.

With some newer digital, MG 9gram servos, this would be a nice change of pace.

Buzz.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:58 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may want a Sig Senioretta. Not sure the Sonic will fly as slow as you want.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:35 AM
blvdbuzzard

One of the best planes for super slow, on the edge of stall, cruising around at 5 to 6 feet off the ground, was the Old Tower trainer 60 with an O.S. 48fs. That thing would hang on a sneeze from a gnat. Brother and I would take turns flying it as slow as it could go. We got it to the point it was flying in ground effect nose high, tail almost touching the ground, wondering how it could actually be off the ground. We had so much fun flying on the wide open dry lake bed.

Just want something simple, easy flying. Have my Giles, Edge and the like to raise the blood pressure.

Buzz.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:55 PM
706jim

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by blvdbuzzard
One of the best planes for super slow, on the edge of stall, cruising around at 5 to 6 feet off the ground, was the Old Tower trainer 60 with an O.S. 48fs. That thing would hang on a sneeze from a gnat. Brother and I would take turns flying it as slow as it could go. We got it to the point it was flying in ground effect nose high, tail almost touching the ground, wondering how it could actually be off the ground. We had so much fun flying on the wide open dry lake bed.

Just want something simple, easy flying. Have my Giles, Edge and the like to raise the blood pressure.

Buzz.
I enjoyed flying a Clancy Lazy Bee with an OS FS20 four stroke into a strong headwind. The thing would literally hover a few feet off of the ground while I ran back and forth trying to get as close to it as possible.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:57 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just try it and see if you like it. The only one I've seen in our club was crazy fast, and noisy, with a GMS 32, but I don't think it was terribly heavy, so you might like it with the 30FS. I enjoy the mellow sound of small four strokes very much. I would put mini servos in it and try to keep the weight down. You can experiment with props too. My first try on that plane with that engine would be a 10x5.

Jim
Old 01-22-2017, 10:05 AM
blvdbuzzard

I have some HV, digital, MG aluminum body 20 gram servos. I was going to use them with a 1800mah 2s battery. I have watched the videos of the low wing version with .46, 55 and super over powered. If I can keep it down to the listed 2.2 pounds, I bet she would fly pretty sweet. Low and slow. I think it will be a nice Sunday cruiser.

Buzz.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:28 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

I'm converting the electric 4 Star 20 to fly with a 30 size 4 stroke and it's surprising how light electrics are built. I would get something that looks strong enough and I would inspect as much of the model as possible before carrying it home. You can see a lot in a fuselage but not a wing.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:09 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I watched a guy a few years ago fly the .30 in a Model Tech Cub, he had a ball. Occasionally it would nose over due to the grass being a little long, the thing ran nice.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:23 PM
blvdbuzzard

I was thinking of the Goldberg Freedom 20. It says a .15 to .25. The .30 Fs should be a good match for it. Just a simple putt putt machine.

http://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=7134

Buzz.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:55 PM
jeffie8696

I flew a 4Star20 with an OS26Surpass and it was excellent, needed to move the firewall back a little because it was way nose heavy
Old 01-29-2017, 08:15 PM
blvdbuzzard

I was talking with my brother about the different planes that have been mentioned on this thread. He said why not find an old timer style plane. I always liked the Quaker Flash planes. I have had a few rubber powered, 0.020 2 channel micro gear, 0.020 free flight.

I was reading about this one. He said it had an O.S. 40fs and was over powered so this might work with the 30fs.

http://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5516

Buzz.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:20 AM
buzzard bait

I see, that's different, your Phoenix is not that type of plane. Yes, the Quaker in that size would be fine, and there are dozens of other old timers; you'd be looking for something in the range of 60 to 72 inches. If you're up from scratch building, terrific, all you need is to print out the OZ plans, get some wood, etc., and have at it. If you prefer a short kit or a kit, they are available.

I have bought dope and other supplies from Aerodyne, and I know they sell a Quaker Flash short kit and full kit, 67 inch span. They mention being in some kind of transition, so I would use the contact info to get in touch with them. Nice folks. The kits are from Midway Models, and I'm sure there are other sources too. I would have recommended Klarich Custom Kits, but I think they might be out of business. Here's Aerodyne... http://www.freeflightmodels.com/

Jim
Old 01-31-2017, 09:21 PM
blvdbuzzard

I started building planes with the die crunch Guillows, Comet, Jetco kits. I do love scratch building and I just ordered a $100.00 worth of balsa. Too bad I did not order nearly enough 1/4" balsa to build a Quaker Flash.

As I am limited on space, doing work on the house, I may just order the Sonic and call it good. I did not know I had this many options to put my little 30Fs in. I am glad I have a lot to pick from.

So my plan is I order the Sonic, fly it until I scratch build the Quaker. Yeah that the ticket. Never have to many projects and planes.

Buzz.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:41 AM
buzzard bait

Good idea, enjoy them! Jim
Old 02-09-2017, 11:51 AM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

A Pacific Ace would be real sweet with that engine. Would have a bit of excess power. But nothing wrong with that. That's what throttles are for. It would easily and gently fly cruise at maybe 1/2 throttle. Would handle grass just fine. But I would go with the Sullivan Super Light tires. I had the Texler inflatable tires on mine at first. Looked great and period also, but blow outs (actually the valve just failed to hold) on all but the gentlest landings were a problem. It was the plane I learned to fly on.
I had a O.S .20 four stroke on mine. It was enough power, but nothing more. That is why I think a.30 sized four stroke would be perfect.
It is a 3 channel bird.
I had numerous flight that way exceeded the fuel supply. When I advance the throttle, nothing there. It thermaled very well.
Nice easy slow flights. Very well mannered.
It was built from RCM Plans. Still have mine. There sources to get virtually any RCM plan.

I built mine during the Gulf War, swing on the hook about 10 miles off the coast of Kuwait City. Ship was doing counter mine ops. I made all the parts in a storage room for the computer system (main frames). And then used a side panel with my magnetic building system (just the fixtures, not the board itself) to jig everything into place. Ya should try working in the vertical! Even joined the wing halves that way. I doubt I could pull that stunt off again. Surprising everything came out dead straight and true. I waited till I got home to cover it.

Ended up destroying the fuse, so I used the wing and tail feathers for a slope glider. It would stay up when a skinny gnat was falling outta the sky.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pacific Ace  02.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	522.4 KB
ID:	2200356   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pacific Ace  03.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	572.3 KB
ID:	2200357   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pacific Ace 06.jpg
Views:	26