Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

OS FS 70 without crankcase breather?

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS FS 70 without crankcase breather?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 05:57 PM
Keefer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question OS FS 70 without crankcase breather?

Hi guys - gals....
I have an OS FS 70 Surpass with no crankcase breather port. There's a boss in the bottom of the crankcase between the main and front bearing, (below the cam), but it's not drilled out or tapped; just a blank boss.
There's no tap on the intake manifold, so I'm guessing it's not a "newer" Surpass.

Was there a version of the 70 that has internal passages to get oil down to the cam and keep flow moving?
Thanks!!
Keith
Old 01-15-2017, 05:02 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Keef, check page # 21 here and then Part # 21, the FS 70s does not have this part. The second link should be your engine.

http://manuals.hobbico.com/osm/fs-70...i-p-manual.pdf

http://manuals.hobbico.com/osm/34000-manual.pdf

Last edited by Hobbsy; 01-15-2017 at 05:27 AM.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:43 AM
SuperNash

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keefer, my first gen 70 has a breather nipple. IIRC its on the underside of the main crank area where you describe the undrilled boss. Sounds odd that yours doesn't have one. If it were my I think I would drill & tap and get a nipple there (or, do the backplate, less disassembly required).

Hobbsy, that second link contains the usual section referring to after-run oil being injected via the breather nipple.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:51 AM
Hobbsy

It sure does, my OS Aplha .56 does not have one, I'm surprised more haven't chimed in here. It would be real easy to install one, I'd place it on the backplate though.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:08 PM
Keefer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all. I'll tap the boss that's on the bottom of the case. It's between the main and front bearings which, on SAITOs, was critical to keep oil flow though and past the bearings. Putting a vent on the back of the crankcase doesn't help the front bearing and camshaft at all.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:14 PM
Hobbsy

Many more engines have the vent on the back plate than on the front, I think that the (it is better for cam idea) is more in our heads than an actual fact. Even if you wanted to keep the oil out of the front, you couldn't.