Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

K&B .61 head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 04:26 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Question K&B .61 head gasket

Question: Does the K&B .61 come with or need a head gasket? I have a 'new' one and it leaks fuel between the head and the cylinder....took the head off and no gasket. Help!

Jerry
Old 03-09-2017, 12:52 PM
wcmorrison
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most engines now days have a thin metal spacer that is "crushed" in place. The spacer is usually retained in the head when you remove the head. I would look and if you see a shinny ring maybe an 1/8 of an inch wide, near the outside of the combustion area, then you have a gasket. If the engine head is leaking fuel, it probably was not torqued on correctly or evenly. One should cross tighten the head screws, that is do one, then the next one across from the one you just did, do that until all are on and tight. Run the engine, and then do it again with the engine on the warm side (not hot but warm). If the head still leaks then you probably have a warped head. K&B is still sold by MECOA engines and they have an extensive web page. Check the K&B data on the web page, may also have specific break-in procedures, etc..
Old 03-09-2017, 04:56 PM
tailskid

Thank you so much....I took off the head and there wasn't a gasket and when looking at the exploded view from K&B, there isn't supposed to be one. Engine is now mounted on the airframe and will test it tomorrow! Thanks again,

Jerry
Old 04-01-2017, 07:37 PM
rcuser004
My Feedback: (287)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The K&B .61, #6550, does not have a head gasket. The head sits directly on top of the steel cylinder. You can confirm this if you want on the manufacturer's
website, www.mecoa.com.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:37 PM
tailskid

Thanks for the confirmation......it runs well now.

jerry