Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

glow engines are fading away

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 02:31 AM
dmrcflyr2
My Feedback: (43)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To those that don't think that the glow engine segment is fading and/or dying then answer this question. List all of the CURRENT manufacturers of glow engines? I know there were 10 times as many 30 years ago. The same can be asked about glow fuel and places to purchase it. You are delusional if you do not think the advent of high power batteries, foam garbage planes, and instant gratification of this generation of society isn't impacting the glow engine segment.

On the plus side, those of us that still love glow engines, they are plentiful on the used market!
Old 10-02-2018, 02:57 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by dmrcflyr2
To those that don't think that the glow engine segment is fading and/or dying then answer this question. List all of the CURRENT manufacturers of glow engines? I know there were 10 times as many 30 years ago. The same can be asked about glow fuel and places to purchase it. You are delusional if you do not think the advent of high power batteries, foam garbage planes, and instant gratification of this generation of society isn't impacting the glow engine segment.

On the plus side, those of us that still love glow engines, they are plentiful on the used market!
The bold statement is why glow engines aren’t fading away. Manufacturers have closed up shop or went down different roads, but all of those engines produced over the last several decades are still out there as are piles of spare parts. While the manufacturers are slowly fading away, the love of glow isn’t going anywhere. There are still a lot of diehards left. I don’t see that as a delusional thought, but hey.. everyone is entitled these days.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:20 AM
Jesse Open

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Nothing wrong with that!
If fewer people indeed use those engines, the engine supply for those of us who do only increases.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:50 AM
dmrcflyr2
My Feedback: (43)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r

The bold statement is why glow engines aren’t fading away. Manufacturers have closed up shop or went down different roads, but all of those engines produced over the last several decades are still out there as are piles of spare parts. While the manufacturers are slowly fading away, the love of glow isn’t going anywhere. There are still a lot of diehards left. I don’t see that as a delusional thought, but hey.. everyone is entitled these days.
Unfortunately 'those that love' glow engines is a diminishing population also. And it does NOT bring back quality glow engine manufacturers to the market place. Thus my statement is still valid.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:32 AM
Jesse Open

That traditional, piston powered RC flight is waning is a fact. Haven't seen much, if any delulsional denial of that.Patently obvious to most. Fore sure, the numbers of users and makers is fading away. Time marches on. CDs replaced cassette tapes and vinyl discs. Just recently , the vinyl disc has seen a resurgence. Not likely to ever go where it once was but still here.
This hobby started out with people building their own planes, RADIOS and even their own engines. Ham radio operators are hugely resposible for helping RC happen. It very well may return to some of us making our own engines again. Brings back a lot of the fun we now miss out on. Meanwhile, most of us will have all the engines we want or need readily available.
Fewer users will free up more and more engines. Let the foamies fly!
Old 10-04-2018, 03:08 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

White flag is up! I’m not worthy! I’m not worthy!

BS aside - the industry has faded. Yep. It has. But I feel the topic of the thread isnt about the industry itself as much as the use of the engines in general. Has their use gone down from previous years/decades/millenniums? Sure. Is it nonexistent now? Hell no!

Old 10-04-2018, 08:26 AM
Jesse Open

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
White flag is up! I’m not worthy! I’m not worthy!

BS aside - the industry has faded. Yep. It has. But I feel the topic of the thread isnt about the industry itself as much as the use of the engines in general. Has their use gone down from previous years/decades/millenniums? Sure. Is it nonexistent now? Hell no!

Exactly! Like so many other activities. The "heyday" comes and goes. Do people still spend a lot of money on, and actually ride HORSES today?