Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Older engines

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 04:57 PM
klikesy01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Older engines

Will new glow fuel harm older engines I recently inherited some older stuff from my father and wanted to see if I can get them running a veco45 for one thanks for any input
Old 01-23-2018, 05:07 PM
culver

Use a fuel that is all castor oil or at least a 50/50 blend, That Veco was around before synthetics, Powermaster has a blend that works great for the old Fox .35 and should work good for your engine, 5 or 10% nitro tops.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:54 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Castor is somewhat dated even for old iron stuff like a Fox 35. It is now common to reduce the oil content from 29% castor oil to22/25% castor/ synthetic depending on use. Heavy castor oil was really used for plain bearing engines like the old Foxes to save the crankshaft. Some people delude themselves that it filled the little holes left from machining. All castor oil will do long term is turn to a glue in your engine and the burned stuff will carbon up the head and turn the engine into a blowtorch when it is running. Ball bearing engines will stay much cleaner with modern fuels as long as your realistic about what fuel you want to run through your prized old timer
Old 02-03-2018, 09:01 AM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

anyone know if you can use a #a3 hot glow plug in a four stroke engine? these cold temps i believe are calling for a hotter plug other than the f plug because it cuts off at idle and i have already adjusted idle mixtures multiple times, can you use a a3 hot plug in a four stroke 120fs?
Old 02-03-2018, 11:04 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by blhollo2
anyone know if you can use a #a3 hot glow plug in a four stroke engine? these cold temps i believe are calling for a hotter plug other than the f plug because it cuts off at idle and i have already adjusted idle mixtures multiple times, can you use a a3 hot plug in a four stroke 120fs?
Yup. If it’s hot enough. I would opt for an Enya 3 plug instead.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:10 AM
controlliner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love Castor till the end. But....I have come to the conclusion that engines that really need it are the ones where the crank runs directly in the crank case aluminum. Also ones with an aluminum con rod with no bushings. The iron piston engines do not really need it for the piston and liner, especially the desaxe engines like Fox. The reason people fail with synthetic oil based fuels is they run them too lean. I have been running model glow engines for 45 years my stats are being proven. The only engine that failed me with synthetic oil is the venerable OS .10 FSR. The liner is a thick investment cast unit and didn't dissipate heat well.

Last edited by controlliner; 05-03-2018 at 04:12 AM.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:20 AM
Jesse Open

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

I don’t know of anyone who actually believes castor fills machining voids. Has to be very rare. Castor can indeed make a huge difference in an inadvertent lean run. You don’t need straight castor, a blend can work well in many cases.
I dumped two strokes for the most part about 20 years ago. Now running four strokes exclusively. Four strokes and two strokes do have different needs from their oil package. The valve actuation system has points of extreme pressure, sliding contact. The wetting and high barrier film strength of castor is very effective in those areas. It only takes about 2% to 4% castor to provide protection here. At that level, varnish and gumming virtually becomes a non issue.