Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Tanks question

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 05:20 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Tanks question

So, thinking about a future build, and wondering how to get more fuel in the wing. If the Nacalle can only hold a 8 ounce tank on a Multi engine, if I were able to shoehorn a 12-16 ounce tank near the wing root, would I be able to draw fuel from the larger tank, into the two smaller tanks using the smaller tanks vent line? To fill I would use a 3 line setup, one to vent, one to carb, and one to fill, pretty much my standard setup when not using a fuel valve, connect both small tanks with equal lengths of tubing using a T off the main tank connected to the pickup, and use a 2 line setup on the main tank to vent and fill.

Would it work? Would this be a better setup if it were gas or glow?

Just thinking since I don't have the plans yet, or even know how much room will be in the inner nacelle when retracts are installed.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:09 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Fuel Tanks ? Sullivan

Here are some, maybe's, then you can say Tanks a lot.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:10 AM
acdii

Tanks a lot Dave!

Old 03-20-2018, 06:49 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Here are some more points concerning multi engine fuel plumbing that I have discovered if you like. I have done quite a few multis, two, three, four engine and even one six, most all used .25 sized glow engines.

Early on I tried to do single tanks for a twin and turned out what others had warned of was true almost every time one engine was lost muffler pressure was lost through the pressure lines and the other would soon quit. After that experience for every airplane I always kept the fuel systems isolated. Each engine having its own tank and system.

Now with that in mind what you have described i.e. a small nacelle (header) tank and a larger inboard tank not very far away would work well if you kept the systems isolated from other engines and plumbed in trail. In other words two tanks per engine and exhaust pressure going to the inboard tank and that tank feeding the header tank.

As I noted above I myself have always used the One tank One engine set up for multi's However do know that running tandem tanks for a single engine (glow) does indeed work well. I know that from my X/C efforts, while nothing spectacular all have been a great source of personal satisfaction, I have used tandem tanks up to four of various capacities. it does work. the longest run with a glow engine just over six hours.

Good luck.

John
Old 03-20-2018, 07:10 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Tandem Plumbing.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:13 AM
acdii

What about if a pumper was used, or if they were gas engines that have the built in pump in the carb? My thoughts, and this is years out from now on this build, would be to use glow engines with ignition systems, or gas Saito with the pump type carbs. Wasn't thinking of using pressurized tanks as I know those can be troublesome.

It would be for a B-17 that I am working on getting plans for.