Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Will glow return

Old 11-22-2020, 09:22 AM
billinpa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will glow return

Any thoughts on glow coming back? I fly at 3 clubs and there are still quite a few glow heads. Of course lots of electric, some big gassers and a few turbines. I fly glow and electric and prefer glow. My fuel of choice is S&W, a local company. Great fuel.

Bill

Old 11-22-2020, 06:21 PM
706jim

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really who knows? I'd like to think it will but a lot depends on the younger generation taking an interest in it. There are so many other things that interest kids these days many that are tied to a cellphone.
Old 11-22-2020, 08:28 PM
sport22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

every several years in northern california there is a new hobby store built that is selling 2 new lines of glow engines if that would help or count.
Old 11-24-2020, 05:05 PM
Jesse Open

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The heyday of glow has come and gone. The electric foamies that are currently surging dont seem to attract the long term hobby interest . The buy it and fly it , narrow interest aspect is more fad-like. Not an broad interest like the older , imagine it, design it, build it, fly it hobby.

Culture shift, demand for gratification and move on. The hobby itself seems to be fading fast.. Glad to have been here to live its golden age, sorry to see people walking away from it. As with so many other things.
The following users liked this post:
ira d (12-03-2020)
Old 11-25-2020, 05:05 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts

It's hard to get glow fuel locally and when you can find it its quite pricey, 150 member club and there's probably only a handful of glow flyers
Old 11-25-2020, 06:03 AM
Jesse Open

So true,

If glow power were no longer an option I would simply walk away from whatever was left.
The hobby is also about the people you share it with . I have little in common with the new fly it out of the box type.

Compared to the effort invested in designing and building a plane, even a kit built plane; Obtaining fuel is minor. For a person who pulls their latest creation out of a box and flies minutes later, fuel must be a near insurmountable problem.

A trip to the flying field thirty years ago was an event in itself. Loads of real creativity, Real builders who could truly appreciate those efforts as well.
The fuel? No problem. Never will be.

Last edited by Jesse Open; 11-25-2020 at 06:21 AM.
yyk1966 (12-15-2020)
Old 11-25-2020, 12:17 PM
Bigshark

It seems like the car guys rc and full scale will always help fuel availability. My problem will be lack of spares. If I bend a crankshaft on my Super Tigre 2300 I'll be hunting through ebay for a replacement. All of the low end glow engine companies are just gone except OS. I love the smell and experience of flying glow but maybe not enough to pay for YS, Saito, Rossi, and the like. Even OS is pretty pricey for what you get. For glow to make a big comeback we need some good value choices in my opinion......
Old 11-25-2020, 01:14 PM
Jesse Open

Originally Posted by Bigshark View Post
It seems like the car guys rc and full scale will always help fuel availability. My problem will be lack of spares. If I bend a crankshaft on my Super Tigre 2300 I'll be hunting through ebay for a replacement. All of the low end glow engine companies are just gone except OS. I love the smell and experience of flying glow but maybe not enough to pay for YS, Saito, Rossi, and the like. Even OS is pretty pricey for what you get. For glow to make a big comeback we need some good value choices in my opinion......

Not going to happen.
With fewer users, diminished demand, the Economy of Scale factor is going away.
Old 11-25-2020, 03:20 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Gas and electric are getting better and cheaper. Glow is not. And honestly I don't miss the mess with glow.

David

Old 11-25-2020, 04:08 PM
Jesse Open

Well cheaper anyhow. "Better" has is a bit more subjective. The number of good model builders is slipping.
I don't mind cleaning a plane worth cleaning. Don't miss electrics, built my first electric 25 years ago. Never missed a single one since.
yyk1966 (12-15-2020)
Old 11-25-2020, 06:59 PM
Corsair3660

Default I hope so

I started out on foam and electric. Now that I can fly and land without destroying the plane(most of the time) Ive started with glow. I have acquired several glow powered planes and flown a couple of them. I have an Aeronca with a Magnum .26 4 stroke, a Tower Trainer that started with a Super Tiger 46 and Now has a Magnum .52 4 stroke. So far those are my favorites to fly. I can charge my Life receiver battery faster than a couple Lipos add fuel and fly for longer than I would with a stack of batteries. Yes I have to wipe the plan down afterwards but paper towels are cheap and glow sounds and smells better than battery. Still working my way up to my 1.20 powered Corsair
Old 11-25-2020, 07:20 PM
Jesse Open

Congratulations! I sure wish there were a lot more like you.
There is so much more to this hobby than stick time. Fliers are a dime a dozen.
The well versed, complete modeler is fading fast.
The hobby at one time required a lot more of it participants. Those who took up the hobby understood that before they became involved. The typical RCer of today's major tool is a credit card. Programming their microprocessor radio , charging a LiPo and picking out the gyro is about the most difficult tasks they undertake.

Old 11-26-2020, 07:48 AM
Outrider6
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I hope it returns, but I'm not holding my breath for that. It is dying. The only way to keep it alive is with demand - people building kits or assembling ARF's, and buying glow engines for them. I am now in the middle of building my 3rd kit in 7 months, so I am trying to do my part to keep the hobby alive.

Unfortunately, .25-size glow engines have gotten very difficult to find, and the kit I wanted to build (Uravich 52" OV-10 Bronco short kit) needed 2 of those, and I was unable to find a matching pair that was not at an astronomical price, so I chose instead to build an electric Parkflyer Plastics OV-10 short kit. I would much prefer glow, as I love real machines (engines more than motors), and electric planes just don't have the sound and "feel" for me. Not that they are lacking in performance. I take the cost of glow fuel, the mess and cleanup as just a "cost of doing business" when you get real sound and more authentic flying.

I agree about the "instant gratification" angle killing this hobby. The same people that don't want to build a kit don't change their own oil on their automobiles, mow their own grass or fix things on their vehicles and houses. Self-sufficiency and independence has withered down to just a few people here & there, these days. I refuse to pay someone to do something that I am capable of doing myself. I even dislike ARF's, and will always choose a kit instead, if I have the choice.

I love this hobby, and have for over 35 years. I want to keep doing this hobby until I am no longer able to stand on my own two feet. I love aircraft. I love flying. I love building. I hate seeing this hobby dying.

There - I'm done rambling. For now.
Old 11-26-2020, 06:46 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

glow engines are little breathing, living works of art

Jim
Old 12-02-2020, 09:17 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glow...please return..
Old 12-03-2020, 05:49 AM
A. J. Clark

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some people say that they don't like the mess of glow. Well I can't deal with charging and messing with batteries all the time. I have had some smaller electric planes. There just not the same as glow for me. I do have some small electric helicopters which are good with the electric. If it gets to where I can't get fuel I'll make my own or switch to gasoline.

I see a lot of people who have trouble turning glow engines and choose the right prop to make a glow run good. If done correctly glow is very dependable. I can see where people that don't or can't develop the skills to make a glow run good would get up set with them.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:25 AM
Jesse Open

In the last few years we have had three major LiPo fires in this area that I know of. Two, I know the people involved personally, ALL resulted in a MAJOR clean up. Not talking a simple wipe down of a toy plane. More like demolition and rebuilding an entire house, loss of cars etc. Nice plane lost at the field last year too, not the first one either.

Cleanup, of glow fuel, no problem.
Bigshark (12-03-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 07:40 PM
ira d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Asking if glow will be coming back is like asking if auto companies will start to build cars with 1950 level of technology again, while there are a lot of people that like and own
50's era cars the majority of people like the new technology a lot more. The same can be said for our hobby people like the the new tech a lot more and companies will
build what sales and the there is little demand for glow engines.
Old 12-04-2020, 03:29 AM
skorz

Started with glow in late 90', difficult not reliable considering I was beginner, late 2000 restart with electric.

Then, I was able after 2010 to run a glow engine, may be because of the reliability of the fuel today, I mean I can't compare a run with my used 1985 os25max in 1999 with a run yesterday with a gms 47, so I presume the fuel is 100 times better, and may be I am a little bit better to set and feel my engine.

If you consider a glow is alive, a glow can be stored years an years even the fuel with no incidence, cost 35euros here to get 5L, 4sT or 2sT, screaming like a rocket, unlimited flight time at field, and most important compared with gas is the size, no real challenger in the 25 to 70 size, you can put in your trunk easely without dismounting.

If you consider electric is too easy no challenge, tasty as driving a nissan leaf, autonomy is only the lipo you get ( compared with 5L no chance ), dying with the time ( your lipo is reduced after 1 year ) and the covid doesn't help, etc.

For my glider lipo is ok, for the rest, glow glow glow, the main problem now is to find brand new cheap engine as asp factory is closed, hopefully we can stil find for less than 40euros somes almost new engine on ebay and else, because people choose lipo or gas.
Old 12-04-2020, 05:46 AM
Jesse Open

Not to mention that "return" is a nearly moronic term as glow never left in the first place.
Old 12-04-2020, 06:23 AM
Outrider6

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jesse Open View Post
Not to mention that "return" is a nearly moronic term as glow never left in the first place.
True that it never left, but it is dying, sadly. I am trying to do my part to keep it alive. The problem is, I have already built all of the glow kits that are reasonably attainable and that I would want to own. There is nothing left that I want, that I can get, reasonably (and I'm not paying absurd prices on fleabay for older kits). That leave scratch-building, for me. And then I have to select the plane based on the glow engine that I can find for it, because the variety of glow engine supplies is also dwindling away.
Old 12-05-2020, 03:21 PM
JPMacG

Jesse,
How do you obtain your VP Racing 5-gallon cans? I tried to purchase VP Racing nitromethane from a local dealer and the shipping cost was prohibitive.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:11 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JPMacG View Post
Jesse,
How do you obtain your VP Racing 5-gallon cans? I tried to purchase VP Racing nitromethane from a local dealer and the shipping cost was prohibitive.

just buy fuel from Red Max, in quarts shipping is not that bad. they have been around a long time.

Jim
Old 12-05-2020, 07:55 PM
Jesse Open

Guess there is no need to answer.
Red Max, there you have it.

Or I will just send you a PM

Last edited by Jesse Open; 12-05-2020 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-05-2020, 08:41 PM
JPMacG

Jesse,
Yes, please send me a PM. I am interested in VP Racing 50/50 nitromethane/methanol in 5 gallon cans. I blend my own fuel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.