Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Glow Plug Choice!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2022, 07:19 PM
ductedfan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Glow Plug Choice!?!?!?

Good Evening all. I have a question concerning glow plugs. If you use an onboard glow system, does it really matter what glow plug you choose??? The reason that I ask is because you are not relying on the glow plug to retain the heat, hence the use of the onboard glow system. Please let me know your thoughts and reasoning. Thanks...
The following users liked this post:
Jesse Open (01-20-2022)
Old 01-08-2022, 07:42 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

If you tune the engine correctly and use the proper heat range and reach glow plug, you don’t need onboard glow support. If you insist on using inboard glow, you still need to select the proper reach and heat range glow plug.
Old 01-08-2022, 07:55 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I've never used continuous on board glo. I have used momentary at the low end only to make sure an engine does not load up at the bottom end but mostly for remote on board starting. Also I have used it at low end for multi engine.

I have used electronic on demand on board glo where the unit detects when a glo plug is going to foul and turns on byitself. Both systems work better than continuous on board glo

With the momentary systems the on board glo is turned off for proper tuning and because its only momentary when in use you run the same plug as normal.

Last edited by Propworn; 01-08-2022 at 08:00 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Propworn:
Jesse Open (01-20-2022), Zabriel (01-30-2022)
Old 01-09-2022, 06:53 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

when the engine is running we know when an Onboard Glow System is putting power to the glug the plug is burning hotter than without power to it! sO, if you use an onboard glow system that is in constant use threw the whole flight your plug will run very Hot throughout the flight. sO, in that case (I would think) you would maybe want to run a Medium plug, it may last longer in that case than a Hot plug would. remember, it's not the heat that makes the plug stay lit.

Jim
Jesse Open (01-20-2022)
Old 01-09-2022, 08:57 PM
Jesse Open

Received 91 Likes on 83 Posts

I have used onboard glow a few times. Always switched off above 1/4 throttle aside from full on for starting. I used it mostly on the old club trainer.

I always used a much colder plug. Glow plugs with throttled four stroke/cycle engines are a compromise. They favor plugs that are hot enough to ensure reliable idle. That heat is not needed nor wanted at higher rpm. The added heat causes us to set the needles on the rich side to control timing which in turn costs rpm loss and a slight gain in fuel consumtion.

With OBG on at idle, we no longer need the hot plug. We can run colder plugs and take advantage of a slight power gain with a bit less fuel burned.

That only works if the plug power is off at speeds above idle!
Zabriel (01-30-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 03:56 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Some input from the OP on what system is intended to be used would be helpful as to suggest a proper plug, however, typically medium and hot plugs are used. However, I’m not a proponent of onboard glow systems. I may if I ever get into multis or radials. I know those have some caveats. Singles though - most of the time are rocksteady.

Just my heavily taxed 2¢.
Old 01-14-2022, 06:58 AM
ductedfan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys. I appreciate the info!!!
Jesse Open (01-20-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 03:01 PM
Jesse Open

Received 91 Likes on 83 Posts

No problem. In most cases the OBG is used as a convenience. I set up the club trainer to allow easy hand starts without wires, cables, drivers, starters etc.

Finding the ability to use a colder plug was a plus

The typical "All Speed, All the time" guys have little need for OBG.

Old 01-25-2022, 11:40 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Cleaned up the thread, keep it about glow plugs. If your post is gone consider yourself warned, if you took a shot at the site moderation consider yourself on a very short leash.

Note, replies that quoted deleted posts were also removed to remove all the bickering content.

Thanks
Old 01-29-2022, 11:32 AM
Raleighcopter

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jesse Open
I have used onboard glow a few times. Always switched off above 1/4 throttle aside from full on for starting. I used it mostly on the old club trainer.

I always used a much colder plug. Glow plugs with throttled four stroke/cycle engines are a compromise. They favor plugs that are hot enough to ensure reliable idle. That heat is not needed nor wanted at higher rpm. The added heat causes us to set the needles on the rich side to control timing which in turn costs rpm loss and a slight gain in fuel consumtion.

With OBG on at idle, we no longer need the hot plug. We can run colder plugs and take advantage of a slight power gain with a bit less fuel burned.

That only works if the plug power is off at speeds above idle!
I Thought glow folks have no need for haywired electronic gadgetry. This certainly sounds like something you would describe as haywired electronic gadgetry.
Old 01-29-2022, 01:59 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Raleighcopter
I Thought glow folks have no need for haywired electronic gadgetry. This certainly sounds like something you would describe as haywired electronic gadgetry.
There's many applications for powering glow plugs, please don't stir the you know what here.
Old 01-30-2022, 02:46 AM
1200SportsterRider

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Over the years I half heartedly searched for a, (nearly) universal plug. The closest I came to that was the Fox Miracle plug, it would work in anything from a Super Tigre 4500 to a Saito 30 and an OS 26. Neal Tidy at LASER recommended not using the Fox Miracle in a LASER, they worked perfectly in a LASER 70 and 100. The Miracle was a Miracle worker in an MDS.