Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Lrp .32 red lines when hot

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 10:48 AM
Chefboyerdee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lrp .32 red lines when hot

I pulled the old blown up engine out of my hpi savage and bought a used Lrp .32 runs good when it’s cold but as soon as it gets to operating temp it’s red lines. Any tips on where to start looking first?
Old 01-27-2022, 04:38 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

What do you mean by it “red lines” when it warm? What are you considering operating temp? What fuel and glow plug are you using? What is your idle gap? How much fuel has been through it? Does it have a cold pinch still? Is your throttle linkage working freely without any binding? Is the carburetor held closed when the throttle is in the neutral position? Does the throttle close quickly and smoothly when the throttle trigger is released to the neutral position?
Old 01-31-2022, 08:22 AM
jaka54

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi!
You must have missunderstod how you set a glow engine! ...Operation temperature is not something you meassure! You set the high speed needle so that the engine runs good and you do this by ear! You do not meassure the temperatur when adjusting thehigh speed needle!
Old 01-31-2022, 04:29 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by jaka54
Hi!
You must have missunderstod how you set a glow engine! ...Operation temperature is not something you meassure! You set the high speed needle so that the engine runs good and you do this by ear! You do not meassure the temperatur when adjusting thehigh speed needle!
on car and buggy engines, engine temperature really is an accurate way to assess the state of tune. Yes, an experienced ear will pick up on the audible cues, but a novice.... not so much. I will tell you with 99% certainty that an LRP .32 will operate at 265-290°F at peak mixture and it will idle around 4,000-5,000rpm.