Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Counterfeit OS #8 Glow Plug Test

The following users liked this post:
oskartek (02-29-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 07:53 AM
Jesse Open

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

That was good.
My local hobby shop refuses to order the Chinese plugs for me. Guess I will look on line.
Old 02-12-2024, 08:15 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

why would you want to use them?

the real test, would be to try to run one in an engine for 4 or 5 gallons in the air.
Old 02-13-2024, 07:00 AM
Jesse Open

Yessir, durability takes a bit longer to evaluate.

Notice the OS plug had the benefit of needle touch ups when it ran poorly.

The Chinese plug got no touch up, was expected to run fine without that.
Old 02-13-2024, 04:40 PM
RCoffroadracer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

first of all you're not buying a "inexpensive" plug made from Rhodium like the $12 OS plug. rhodium is about $8k an ounce. it looks like they might have found a good alternative metal for coil. likely what was going on is a difference in the heat range of the plug doesn't match the OS plug.
I find OS engines to be very finicky. I have thunder tiger engines in a few things and they're much easier to tune and keep running and STARTING. OS engines I have to fight to start for some reason. we don't get along.
me and my brother tried getting a old new in box OS 40LA engine to run the other day and it's a bear. I literally broke my new plane's fuselage around the engine because its so hard for the hi torq sullivan starter to rotate. it even broke the darn nose cone off. LOL. this darn OS engine needs to be heated with a heat gun I guess.

Last edited by RCoffroadracer; 02-13-2024 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-13-2024, 08:14 PM
the Wasp

Originally Posted by RCoffroadracer
first of all you're not buying a "inexpensive" plug made from Rhodium like the $12 OS plug. rhodium is about $8k an ounce. it looks like they might have found a good alternative metal for coil. likely what was going on is a difference in the heat range of the plug doesn't match the OS plug.
I find OS engines to be very finicky. I have thunder tiger engines in a few things and they're much easier to tune and keep running and STARTING. OS engines I have to fight to start for some reason. we don't get along.
me and my brother tried getting a old new in box OS 40LA engine to run the other day and it's a bear. I literally broke my new plane's fuselage around the engine because its so hard for the hi torq sullivan starter to rotate. it even broke the darn nose cone off. LOL. this darn OS engine needs to be heated with a heat gun I guess.
the OS LA 40 is a well loved engine. with that^ problem. it sounds like it has too much compression. so first thing I would do to that 40 is remove the head and see if it has a "Head Shim" in it.
the 2nd. I would try a longer prop. the longer prop would have more momentum that will help pull the engine threw it's compression stroke.
Old 02-13-2024, 08:26 PM
the Wasp

oops.
to add, the pic at the end of the video shure shows the counterfeit plug is different than the OS plug.
Old 02-15-2024, 11:11 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I don’t use OS plugs because other brands perform so much better. I get a laugh whenever counterfeit OS glow plug threads pop up.
oskartek (03-12-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 05:45 PM
RCoffroadracer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by the Wasp
the OS LA 40 is a well loved engine. with that^ problem. it sounds like it has too much compression. so first thing I would do to that 40 is remove the head and see if it has a "Head Shim" in it.
the 2nd. I would try a longer prop. the longer prop would have more momentum that will help pull the engine threw it's compression stroke.
you know what, I had installed a 10x6 prop because that's what the manual suggest for a trainer plane. but the os manual says to break the engine in with a 11x5. I'm going to swap out the prop to 11x5 and I bought a dubro alum prop nut too. the stock os nut keeps backing off and then the plastic nose cone slips. I can't literally tighten the thing any more because I'm about to snap the prop. it's insane how much trouble it's giving me.
it's so hard to spin it feels hydrolocked.
Old 02-18-2024, 09:06 PM
the Wasp

Originally Posted by RCoffroadracer
you know what, I had installed a 10x6 prop because that's what the manual suggest for a trainer plane. but the os manual says to break the engine in with a 11x5. I'm going to swap out the prop to 11x5 and I bought a dubro alum prop nut too. the stock os nut keeps backing off and then the plastic nose cone slips. I can't literally tighten the thing any more because I'm about to snap the prop. it's insane how much trouble it's giving me.
it's so hard to spin it feels hydrolocked.
that is just how an engine will react/feel if it doesn't have a Head Shim, too much compression.
Old 02-23-2024, 09:32 PM
Jesse Open

I use only O.S. "F" plugs and, at times Enya#3 in all of my four strokes. Never found anything I liked better. Very consistent and the durability is superb. A few years back, the mix included Merlin plugs. They were quite good.

At the current rate of replacement, my present stock of O.S. "F" plugs should last at least 12 more years.

Last edited by Jesse Open; 02-23-2024 at 09:40 PM.
oskartek (02-29-2024)
Old 02-24-2024, 07:56 PM
the Wasp

I once bought a well used Fok Wolf Bi. with a TT GP 40 in it. flew it and flew it for 2 years, I loved it. when it crashed into Bolivian I pulled the engine. pulled the plug, it was a horribly black OS F. it must have been in there for years and years.
Old 03-12-2024, 05:35 PM
oskartek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm dreading when I run out of my supply of Merlin plugs.
Old 04-13-2024, 04:48 PM
Jesse Open

Originally Posted by the Wasp
I once bought a well used Fok Wolf Bi. with a TT GP 40 in it. flew it and flew it for 2 years, I loved it. when it crashed into Bolivian I pulled the engine. pulled the plug, it was a horribly black OS F. it must have been in there for years and years.

They do hold up nicely.