Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS 1.08 Inverted.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2002, 12:23 AM
THE TAILBACKER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 1.08 Inverted.

*There is a picture of this thing on the "Photos" page. So far I think my theory is working. I have have never seen an inverted 2 stroke start,run-up or fly worth a darn.
* I did not want to hack up the cowl so I inverted the engine. Actually it is offset about 5degrees. i am also using one of those slimline sport mufflers which i think are more like straightpipes.
* Now i think the reason for these engines running so poorly is when inverted the carb is now very low. The thing is most people leave the fuel tank in its original position which is now alot higher.
" I could not find tanks to work right so I got a 16oz and a 6oz. mounted them side by side. Ran the plumbing and installed them on the bottom of the fuselage in the nose area. came out at or a hair below the carb. (Dam close enough)
* Starting was no problem, after dialing it in, it ran smooth all the way around until i ran out. i could not get this thing to cough and spit if it's life depended on it. So i have 2 out of 3 done.We'll see how it flys.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	9936_5046.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	6837  
Old 05-01-2002, 10:34 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default OS 1.08 Inverted.

In the case of inverted engines, I do agree with you on some of your points, but I have only had nothing but great luck with planes flying with inverted engines. The fuel tank location I believe is the key to the whole process. I did have to make sure that the tank level is in line with the carb. As for starting them, I do have to turn the plane over and start them the right way up, however once running they are no problem at all. I have not tryed it with the 108, but I have done it with the OS 25 FP, the OS 61 FX and I am currently flying the OS 46 FX inverted. Good Luck with the 108.
Old 05-02-2002, 02:16 PM
Jazzy

Default Inverted Engines

I have two 4 strokes and two an a half 2 strokes inverted, (one of them is at about 7:30.)
The 4 strokes can be tricky to start. The 2 strokes aren't bad at all. Most of the time it is in the technique.

When priming an inverted engine you can either squirt a little fuel through the carb with a syringe type thing, use your finger or choke valve, or build up tank pressure by blocking the exhaust opening(s).
The last one is easier to demonstrate than describe and takes a bit of coordination.

As the engines are inverted you don't need as much prime charge than if they were upright or side mounted.

I left my tanks in the stock position and don't have any problems. If your carb is well below the tank's centerline the only thing you have to watch out for is fuel draining into the carb if you leave the trottle open when the engine is not running. Once you get the engine running the fuel jet(s) do the metering.

Jeff
Old 05-07-2002, 06:07 PM
snyder_man
My Feedback: (52)

Default Inverted engine

I've been running my OS 1.08 inverted in a dynaflite spit for 5 years now. It has never quit. I start the engine in the inverted position with no problems. Just be careful to not load it up with fuel and tank location is important.