Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

how to mix castor?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2002, 09:27 AM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Syntetic fuel

Hello!
In sweden more and more flyers are going to syntetic oils. Most common brand are AerosyntII and aerosave from Germany. The French brand Motul " Micro"oil is also very popular. 6-15% oil is what most people run!!!! Yes I douted it first as I have been a Castor oil beliver for most of my 27 years in this hobby...but know,after 2two years of running on syntetic oil i´m a believer! They work fantastic, no more carbon build up, more power, and engines seems to last longer and are much easier to strat...FANTASTIC!!!!
As and old Pylonflyer ( F3D)I have heard that there are no syntetic oil that could stand as much heat as any of the new syntetic oils..but in praktice I have run all my new engines MVVS 1.50,MVVS .40, Webra .40 GT, OS .15LA, Saito .56, TT.40SE on 15% syntetic oil and 5-10% nitro and really taken ut full power from these engines with no problems what so ever.....!

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Old 05-21-2002, 01:07 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to mix castor?????

very interesting thing about same engine, same use, diffrent fuel in this thread
http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...333&forumid=57
basicaly the WXL ran on prosynth dosnt last, thats why there is now the West 50.
this WXL has been ran on 18% oil 80/20 mix and is lasting it seams.... ( pro synth is 20% )
Im starting to come to one conclusion...
Castor has this high flash point that everyone is talking about. so... if your using castor in a hot engine, its going to be doing good, hot meaning high nitro, rpm or even air temps.
the synth does its job, but if it gets too hot the now thinned castor kickes in.
if your running a normal sport engine in normal UK weather that castor is thick and gummy and will do more harm than good.
the Synths wont burn off at these lower temps so use just them.
this is of course if your not a half wit with your needle settings..
Old 05-22-2002, 05:14 PM
Chris Hinds

Phil,

I am a great supporter of all synthetic fuels but I have to admit that Weston UK fuels I will not now touch. I have used all synthetic fuels mixed by

*Southern Modelcraft (a custom mix of 15% ML70)
*Model Technics (a custom mix of 18% Klotz Regular Techniplate)
*Morgans Coolpower
*Weston Liquid gold

Of these fuels I have found that Coolpower is the best of these fuels, but am waiting for Wildcat fuels to make it to the UK shores.

Each fuel runs with slight differences, but I never had any problems with overheating or cuts with Model Technics and Southern Modelcraft. In helicopters I fly only Coolpower, and now fly only Coolpower fuel. With Weston on the other hand I had wildly different needle settings almost every flight and suffered spates of engine cuts, especially on 4-stroke engines.

A friend flying at my club formerly was a great supporter of the Weston fuels, he was using Liquid Gold in his Thunder Tiger 36 in a Raptor 30. After about two gallons the engine had to go back to Amerang to have the bearings changed, they suggested the fuel being low in oil was a possible cause. OK so my friend changes to Prosynth 2000 fuel, with its supposed higher oil content. Two gallons later the engine stops unexpectedly, problem was that the piston had seized in the liner. The engine was running with a Weston Mini Pipe and was tuned on the healthy side of peak. My friend now uses Model Technics brew.

Also the Weston Fuel appears to leave very little residue on planks - to me this is a bad sign, as if the oil is not deposited then it must be burning.

Finally my club had a talk from a Weston UK team member. When asked whether he flew Weston fuel too, he told us that he never uses it and only uses Model Technics fuels. I figure that if the fuel is not good enough for the team then it ain't good for me either.

BTW while all manufacturers are bound to have a 'favourite' fuel, e.g. Just Engines recommend a 20% Castor brew, I am CERTAIN that what Weston are saying, that the warranty is voided if any fuel other than theirs is used, is totally illegal and equally unacceptable. A guideline fuel mix is fine, to state a minimum oil content is wise, but to say only a specific brand of fuel is wrong. They don't by chance also specify exactly what nitro content you should use too to comply with the warranty.

***DISCLAIMER*** This post is entirely my own opinion and not an attack on Weston, I feel that my negative comments are justified, and reasoned rather than a direct "This is C**p"

Regards

Chris
Old 05-22-2002, 05:41 PM
Cactus.

We had exactly the same problem with prosynth in helis, it got a bad rep and now no one at our club likes it and they all swaped back to liguid gold. the problem as we now think was people just leaning it out too much, it smokes more then Liquid Gold so they went to same smoke setting as you cant propperly tune a heli engine. the engines are also always screaming and in a hot enviroment, ie, castor isnt the normal gummy nasty stuff if its used here.
I did have a few problems starting the plane monday evening. it had been raining all day, then suddenly got sunny, but cold. took ages to start, settings had to be changed and the bottom end was wrong so i couldnt hang it at all without powerlag.
I've not seen a nitro part to the warrenty, but 10% for the WXL was what was called for.
The bearings on both my Magnum 36's lasted 10 months, i dont mine getting 2 years HARD! ues out of them, but this was with our rubbish winter and the foot in mouth banning flying as well. didnt mind the Outlaws engine going, it was always screaming, the Cougar engine has been hard to use since day one.
no troubles on either of my MVVS so far, and the smaller Magnums ( 15 & 20 ) seam fine.
Morgan is the green stuff isnt it?
I got a gallon of Prosynth for £5 at a recent club sale, so time to try it out
Old 05-23-2002, 09:49 AM
Cactus.

Finding a few sites with info
http://www.powermasterfuels.com/facts.htm
http://www.powermasterfuels.com/oiltest.htm
Old 05-23-2002, 04:27 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Powermaster is really great fuel with unfortunately a spotty distribution system. Not a dealer carries this brand in a 45Km distance from my home. So I ordered directly from the factory. They sell in 6 gallon lots only so the cost of fuel and shipping from Tx to Pa was 85GBP delivered. This is great fuel and at that price it has to be. For US thats $126.00. It's not their fault that shipping is so expensive, but it sure did jump up the cost of flying by a significant factor. At any rate this is really a premier fuel that does what they claim, has a really great lubrication package and is recommended by all manufacturers of fine motors. Example Nelson and Jett in this country.