Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

4 stroke newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 11:06 PM
plasticjoe
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 stroke newbie questions

I am the new owner of a 4 stroke saito .91. I am new to the use of a 4 stroke engine. I have plenty of 2 strokes, but as far as what needs to be paid attention to on a 4 stroke, I need help. As far as what type of fuel to run, adding oils and the such, onboard glow drivers, are they needed ? , what is the vent tube in the crankcase for ? I know you have to route it out of the plane cause it leaks oil residue. I also know you can swing larger props with a 4 stroke, but also have heard about special prop nuts for them ? Right now I fly with Wildcat fuel, 18% "lubricant" and 10%nitro. Would that work with this engine ? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-01-2004, 11:27 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: 4 stroke newbie questions

The fuel you mentioned is fine, you won't need to add any oil, the vebt tube takes excess crankcase oil and gets rid of it. You can also use the vent to inject afterrun oil in to the crankcase. I happen to use Corrosoin X for this purpose. If it has H9 SuperPlug it is the perfect plug, you'll need to set the valve lash after about one hour, and then about once a year.