Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Graupner Wankel

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 09:12 PM
avalon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Graupner Wankel

Does anyone know if parts are still available for this engine? I am thinking of buying an old one and I'm pretty sure it will need some parts. Seals, gaskets and such almost certainly, hopefully that will be all.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:59 PM
HondaCRX

Default RE: Graupner Wankel

1st or 2nd gen? i have a 1st gen
Old 02-17-2004, 09:28 AM
avalon

Not sure but I think it would be a 1st gen. To tell the truth I didn't know that there was a 1st and 2nd generation. Does it matter when it comes to buying parts such as seals and such?
Old 02-17-2004, 01:18 PM
HondaCRX

it kinda does, does yours look like the 1st one or the 2nd one only not gold?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54605.jpg
Views:	1343
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	102050  
Attached Images  
Old 02-17-2004, 05:37 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There are actually two "Graupner" Wankel engines. One is made by O.S. Max, and is approximately a .30-sizer engine. The other is quite large...I'm not familiar with that one.

The two pictures shown are of the O.S. Max/Graupner Wankel. The upper picture is the original version. Parts for it are not available through O.S. distributors or even O.S. It's been out of production for too long.

The lower picture is a custom-anodized version of the current version of the O.S. Max Wankel .30. It's been in continuous production since 1986. You can obtain information from the O.S. Max web page:

http://www.osengines.com/engines/osmg1400.html
Old 02-17-2004, 07:59 PM
HondaCRX

i have some pics of the large wankel, bet it drinks fuel! lol
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50179.jpg
Views:	1226
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	102151   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19675.jpg
Views:	3560
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	102152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sy63315.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	102153   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd87704.jpg
Views:	1228
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	102154  
Old 02-01-2007, 11:53 PM
wankelman

that is huge!
Old 02-02-2007, 06:19 AM
The Raven

Like the big one, any chance OS will have it available at a reasonable price? Would love to see a gas version of that to....
Old 05-06-2007, 01:39 PM
waldo 007

WERE COULD I GET THAT BIG ROTARY ENGINE FROM[X(] .IM HAVING A CENTRIC SHAFT MADE SOW I COULD BUILT A.30 ROTARY ENGINE AND MAKE A 2 ROTOR = 2 A POINT 60 CANT WAIT TO FINISHED BUT FOR NOW THIS IS MY PROJECT ABOUT TO START IN SOME DAYS. A ROTARY SUPERCHARGE DRAGSTER LIKE SEEN ON SOME PICS ON LOUNGE
Old 06-15-2007, 12:24 AM
skyz

I'm in need of a copy of a version I instruction book.
Can anyone scan/email?
Thanks in advance, Skyz
Old 08-01-2007, 11:44 PM
projecthog

Hokeydoodles! Where did that swollen wankel come from?? This is the first time my eyeballs laid themselves (and drooled!) on one that big, and I've been studying! Got a few of them (the .30's) coming myself to play with. Is there any info available on the fat version wankel? looks like an OS model for sure. Anyone have any specs? Any sites to view one? Pics?
I will comment on the .30's as soon as I have some data collected, mainly to find out if improvements can be made to the tolerances(safely!), and what differences polishing and possible porting could make. Re-carbing and fuel tryouts, etc. (with numbers to go by.)
All of this in the realm of the average Joe's backyard engineering, so everyone might be able to do some of it themselves. Hope to gain some knowledge on the "fatboys!" THX PH.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:20 AM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The large Wankels were produced for Graupner. They were listed for a couple years in the Hobby Lobby catalog in the US. I don't know who produced them. It does look like a scaled up OS, even has an OS type carb. There is no mention of them in OS literature at all, so I think somebody else made them. Graupner will purchase anything from anyone, so this wouldn't be a surprise.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:35 AM
The Raven

ORIGINAL: gkamysz

The large Wankels were produced for Graupner. They were listed for a couple years in the Hobby Lobby catalog in the US. I don't know who produced them. It does look like a scaled up OS, even has an OS type carb. There is no mention of them in OS literature at all, so I think somebody else made them. Graupner will purchase anything from anyone, so this wouldn't be a surprise.
OS is the only R/C engine manufacturer I know of with a license to produce Wankel engines so, perhaps they made it solely for Graupner. The alternative is that someone produced it under a special license agreement, as in when Mazda made the wankels for the Suzuki RE-5 motorcycles.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:04 PM
projecthog

Yes, I see,.... Hmmm,
I will try to locate one (just to be able to evaluate it) I thank you both for the replies, as I said earlier, I have an interest in the controversies ( work well/ not well...boat anchor or shelf decorator.) but secretly I want to fly them on my cub and eindecker! (the big one could power my mixer!)
I'll be back!! PH.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:55 PM
The Raven

If the big Graupner is still available let me know, I'd be interested in getting one even though it's probably expensive.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:40 PM
projecthog

I'm sure it will be expensive, but then.....just gotta have one, you know the feeling!
I have received another older (mini) wankel when I got home, and it needs a re-birth! I am warming up the tools to file, turn, mill, shave and polish it to new life, as I have done with other nitro stuff. I will let you know if I find a "fatboy" after the one I buy lol.
Gotta go, got an engine to work on.
Oh yeah,...When I am done and it works, (of course there is no doubt!) I am putting it in a smaller version of my 80 inch J3 cub.
The neat thing is that I am fitting a radial cowl to it just for that purpose, what THAT will look like is a question I won't be able to answer until I done did it.

Fly straight! PH.