Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Clutch Bell Gear Extends past Spur Gear after rebuild???

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Clutch Bell Gear Extends past Spur Gear after rebuild???

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 10:31 AM
bjadams

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Bell Gear Extends past Spur Gear after rebuild???

Hi All,

I tore down my Traxxas 2.5 engine last night to check the condition of my piston, sleeve, & rod because I just started my 4th gallon. Everything looked good so I put it all back together.

I didn't notice that when I installed the backplate that I had to line up the starter shaft to fit the crank. I started tightening it down & I heard a pretty good *pop*. I loosened the backplate up, saw that I had to align the holes to the crank, & put everything back together.

It turns over fine, has good compression, but now my clutch bell gear sticks past the spur gear almost 1/8th inch. Basicly, only about 3/4 the width of the spur gear is meshing with the clutch bell gear, they are now off-set.

I don't remember them being off-set before the tear down, so could someone tell me if it's supposed to be like that or was that popping noise the crank shaft somehow being pushed towards the output side? I don't see how it could be shifted over since it turns over just like it did before, but I just don't remember the clutch bell gear & spur gear being off-set.

Thanks,
Old 04-04-2004, 01:38 PM
HondaCRX

Default RE: Clutch Bell Gear Extends past Spur Gear after rebuild???

did you pop the flywheel loose when you messed it up?
Old 04-04-2004, 04:13 PM
bjadams

Default RE: Clutch Bell Gear Extends past Spur Gear after rebuild???

I never noticed anything loose on the clutch side of the engine. I did run it tho & I can't tell a difference. Would a loose flywheel be noticeable under power?

I didn't take anything off of the clutch side when I was checking my piston & sleeve. However, if you think that's a possibility, it should be a simple matter to check out & reassemble.

Thanks,