Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Norvel Big 074

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 10:55 AM
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Norvel Big 074

Hi,

I'm new to Norvel Engines and I just bought an 074. I put the engine on my stand and hooked up the fuel lines and put my finger over the Venturi. I flipped the prop a few times to prime it and no fuel was pulled into the line. I checked to make sure the throttle barrel was open and I turned the high speed needle vaule out 2 turns. I repeated the same process with finger over venturi and flipped the prop. Again no fuel was drawn. I'm I missing something in the startup or is something else wrong. I notice it doesn't flip like a my old TD051 or G-Mark 061 enginees. It seems to have two compression points. But, this could be my in-experience with the 074. Any ideas will be helpfull.

Dave
Old 04-19-2004, 12:11 PM

Default RE: Norvel Big 074

You've probably already done this but I thought I'd mention it just in case:
I think the throttle lever operates the opposite way from normal. Remove the mesh filter from the carb opening so that you can see what is going on....
Old 04-19-2004, 01:11 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you read the break-in directions? Did you look up any threads on this engine in the 1/2a forum? What you describe may damage your purchase.
The .074 is a great engine but requires a special break-in procedure. Yes the throttle lever works in the opposite direction. The cylinder should be soaked in oil for a day before break-in. The cylinder would do best heated with your heat gun before inital rollover. After the engine frees a little then check if it draws fuel.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:15 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dave,
If you can flip it over successfully you should not need to soak it. That is for very tight engines. When it is new, if you turn it over slowly, it will stick at the top to give you a false compression feel.
Try opening the needle some more. If that does not work, check that the seal under the carb is not leaking.
Good luck,
George
Old 04-19-2004, 09:51 PM
Banned

My Norvel 061 is like that -- won't suck fuel if you turn it over with a finger over the intake.

Maybe it's that a finger won't seal the venturi properly so air is being sucked in around the side or through the little gap in the circlip.

If you're using muffler pressure then the recommended procedure of just a few drops in the venturi ought to do the trick. As soon as the engine fires the exhaust pressure will push the fuel up the line pretty damned smartly.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Many if not all of these engines have a 2 volt glo plug, a NiCad cell will not get it hot enough for easy starts. Use a power panel and turn it up just enough to get the plug to glow properly. For me, the small 12 volt starter from Norvel (there is at least one other source) was a godsend. Made my starts change from very exasperating to an easy chore. I have found Fox Missile Mist is a good fuel for them.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:01 PM

First, I want to say that I prefer to start my engines by hand. However, I have never been able to start a (NEW) Norvel engine by hand until broken in. Having said that, I suggest you first take a piece of tubing attached to the carb and blow to see if you indeed have the needle open enough for fuel flow. There may be blockage. You will want to advance the throttle lever (which is reversed from most RC engines), Back for full, forward for low. If you can detect a change from high to low, you should be OK.

As for the soak it in oil, I have never done that, (I own 2- .061's and a .074. I know they are super tight and have found that when primed (choked),,,,, they will start with an electric starter. I must warn you to make sure you do not have a hydro lock condition before you use the starter. The connecting rod will break!

Let us know what solves you issues with your Norvel.

Regards,,,,

ZB
Old 04-20-2004, 09:22 PM
My Feedback: (23)

Thanks for the help. I will try some of the ideas this weekend.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:53 AM
Banned

Hell, I've never had (or wanted) to use an electric start on my little 061.

The first time I started it (it *was* tight at TDC) it took about a dozen flicks to get it going -- no big deal.

Now that it's had nearly a pint of fuel through it it starts first-flick every time -- at about 1/3 throttle.

As for glow-plug voltage -- i just use a couple of D-sized alkaline batteries wired in parallel. Even though they don't even get the plug glowing visibly, it still starts -- first flick, every time.

I had a fly this afternoon and I'm sure that this little engine just keeps getting stronger and stronger.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:06 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd like to hear more about the 2V. plug. I remember when Norvel went to the "Freedom" plug. I think they switched to a 1.5V. at that time, as well as redesigning the head to take a standard lockable NiCd booster. Perhaps they have both available.
I hand start my engines, but will admit that my first two were Big Mig Startups (.049 and .061) and the spring starter made it easier. I have run-in others without the spring and did not have problems. Only one was too tight to start by hand and that was before the "soaking" procedure was known. I lapped it only enough to get it over the top. All went well. Never found them hard to start.
I break them in with 15% Norvel fuel with extra castor added. (.049, .061, and .15's, I have not run my .074 nor .25 yet).

George