Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

YS 120 Prop throwing problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 09:39 PM
76.ta
My Feedback: (39)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: YS 120 getting better!!!!!

Before I disassembled the engine, I took pictures, wrote notes, and put marks on all of the different parts so that there would be no chance of me reversing something. I was taking it for granted that the engine ran correctly as the person that sold it to me said. Today I passed by the hobby shop and just for the fun of it, asked the owner if he happened to have a YS 120 as in the back store room he has all sorts of stuff. He had an older YS 120 identical to mine and indeed the regulator housing according to the one he showed me is installed 180 degrees backwards. I will try to get out and see how it runs after reversing it tomorrow. This was probably all of my problems from the beginning. I am keeping my fingers crossed. [8D] If it is indeed reversed, I can't believe that it ran at all. Even though the ports line up, things are not flowing as they should.

I'll let everyone know...

Roy
Old 05-07-2004, 05:26 PM
76.ta
My Feedback: (39)

Default RE: YS 120 , Happy Day!!!!!

I turned the regulator housing 180 degrees and put the screw flush with the housing . The engine took 5 flips of the prop for fuel to reach the carb (took 15 to 20 before).
With the glow starter hooked up it took two flips of the prop to start ( would never start before without the electic starter). Took off the glow starter and it still ran fine ( would always quit before). After warming up went to full throttle and man does it scream. went from idle to full throttle a couple of times and no problems. Let it set and no problem with fuel filling the carb.
Thanks to all the help!! I know it is running fine now and can't wait to see what it will do after I break it in and lean it out some.(It would idle at 1800 and turn the 16x 10 prop at 8400)

I thought for sure if the housing came off that way it was right!

Learned a lot but the biggest lesson is don't rule out anything!

Thanks,
Roy
Old 05-07-2004, 10:21 PM
deputydog

Roy;
Glad to hear you got things worked out! A 16x10 prop is slightly large for your motor. Normal recommendations are 15x10, 16x8. With those props(depending on type!) you should be getting 9400-9800 rpm. Your idle will let you know, smooth idle @ 2k. Try a Master Airscrew Scimitar 16x8 or the APC's! My NC ran great with the 16x8. Good prop for all around flying on my CG Ultimate. Keep us updated! And use that YS 20/20 fuel....
Old 05-08-2004, 01:57 AM
MarkNovack
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second that 16x8. It provides great acceleration, mind blowing pull, and allows the motor to turn in its favorite RPM range of 9000+. A 15-10 is great for pattern applications.

Mark