Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Magnum 52 XLS vs SuperTiger 51

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 08:05 AM
BackAfter20
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum 52 XLS vs SuperTiger 51

I was about to order a Magnum 52 XLS for $80 when I saw the SuperTiger 51 with a rebate that puts it at $80 also.

Does anyone know which is a better engine (power, transition, idle, vibration, etc)? They are about the same weight.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:20 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: Magnum 52 XLS vs SuperTiger 51

The ST .51 may be one of the best kept secrets in this hobby, mine was in Hobby-Lobby Sport 500 Heli, the collective one. for a couple of years. Then, in a US Aircore KnightHawk with a Davis Diesel head on it for several years, then a Kombat Kopter and now it's going in a US Aircore Colt 40, still as a Diesel. The bottom line it has been a very tough engine. It never had a prop smaller than a Graupner 12x6 on it.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:01 PM
seanychen
My Feedback: (4)

I own a Magnum 52 XLS, and I can tell you SUPER TIGRE ALL THE WAY. The Magnum 52 midrange is way too rich, and I think it's because the idle needle shape is designed wrong.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:45 PM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Repeat after me...."Super Tigre...Super Tigre...yes yes yes"

And if you like to experiment or want to swing big props then also pick up the alternative cylinder liner for the CL version (although I'd get the piston as well and keep them as a matched set). Be prepared to spend some time running it in properly though but believe me, it's well worth it
Old 04-30-2004, 12:55 AM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anyone know a place other than Tower that has the TT cheap?
Old 05-16-2004, 01:12 PM
Windwalker
My Feedback: (2)

Diablo, If you're talkin' THUNDER tiger you might try Quantum Models
WW
Old 05-16-2004, 07:12 PM
garch 22
My Feedback: (7)

After reading some very favorable posts, I picked up a Magnum XLS .52 on sale for $79. Did a bit of sealing at the carb and muffler with hi-temp RTV, and it fired up on the first flip which kind of startled me. After about 8 tanks of fuel, I entered it in a race this weekend using 10% Powermaster, and it smoked both the OS sx .51 and the ST. 51 using 15% nitro. It has a VERY good idle and VERY smooth transition, and is not even broken in yet. My first impressions are that it likes to wind up. Tached out at 14,200 with an 11-6 APC. Plan to put a 12 1/4 x 3 3/4 on it for some fun fly stuff, when it's a little more broken in. Maybe I got lucky with this one, but would consider buying another if speed is the objective. Time will tell if it's as durable as the others.
Old 05-16-2004, 07:15 PM
Ernie Misner

seanychen, we WILL solve this rich spot on the Magnum's midrange. We will, we will.....

You have to admit it puts out awsome power!

Ernie
Old 05-16-2004, 08:48 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Has Super Tigre recovered from their horrible move to China? They used to have a great reputation, but when Hobbico moved them to China a couple years back things really went to pot.
Old 05-16-2004, 08:53 PM
seanychen

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

seanychen, we WILL solve this rich spot on the Magnum's midrange. We will, we will.....

You have to admit it puts out awsome power!

Ernie
Well, I pulled my Magnum 52 out of my plane and sent it back to Global. I had legit reasons for replacement because:
1) NV cannot be detached for remote needle placement
2) muffler casting broke at the front bolt support
3) metal throttle arm came loose on the barrel
4) too many deadsticks, which is not good for float flying, especially when we don't have retrival boat. We have used anything from fishing hook to RC boat to get my plane back.

By the way, to solve the midrange problem, I think buying a Perry carb should solve the problem.
Old 05-16-2004, 10:28 PM
irussel

ORIGINAL: MikeL

Has Super Tigre recovered from their horrible move to China? They used to have a great reputation, but when Hobbico moved them to China a couple years back things really went to pot.
I just got a ST .75 (chinese)...only ran 3 tanks of fuel thru it so far (still building the plane its gonna go on), but it seems to run smoother than my Italian made ST .51 did during break-in. Quality of the casting and metal parts seems good. My .51 likes to go rich in the midrange, but it doesn't cause a prob in flight. No deadsticks with it so far.

irussel
Old 05-18-2004, 02:45 PM
Ernie Misner

<<<1) NV cannot be detached for remote needle placement
2) muffler casting broke at the front bolt support
3) metal throttle arm came loose on the barrel
4) too many deadsticks..................................

Yikes!!! What is up I wonder. Were the carb parts frozen together? Broken muffler casting without even crashing? Wierd. I have heard of the throttle arms coming loose. Deadsticks.... still the rich spot I assume?

I have been trying to get ahold of the service dept for 3 days. They must be swamped; it only took 2 hours for them to call me back the 1st time. Did they say to "send that engine back" ??

Ernie
Old 05-18-2004, 08:19 PM
seanychen

I got a hold of the service department. They said there's no record of receiving my engine yet, although USPS delivery confirmation says it was delivered last Saturday. I request someone calling me up to update me on status when someone looks at this engine, but the guy says they don't have the capacity to do that. Then I asked how long would it take for me to get any feed back, he says 2 to 3 weeks. So I am supposed to hold my horses for 2 to 3 weeks w/o any updates whatsoever.

On the contrary, I sent in an OS engine to hobby services for a problem, they sent a new one back to me within the same day.

This would be the last Magnum I'd buy from the hobby shop, because I just don't need this kind of customer service. I'd just get Magnums cheap from ebay cheap and hope it won't need service. I've had good luck w/ their .91 2-stroke & .91 4-stroke. This .52 XLS is an odd ball.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:44 PM
Ernie Misner

Hmmm, that is strange. I'm having trouble getting them on the stick about my carb too. They must be swamped. That is unusual. I've heard nothing but positive comments from them before.

Just our luck,

Ernie
Old 05-19-2004, 10:51 PM
gtisme

Global Services (Hobby People) has the best service department and customer service in the business hands down!

I just started using the XLS .52 and it is one fine engine. Three tanks on the bench, then 1/2 tank at the field to make low-end adjustment. Beautiful idle after 3 1/2 tanks, instantaneous throttle response from extended idle to full throttle. Throttle is very linear with no rich spots anywhere from idle to full. Flew two flights (Phoenix Atlantis) with no deadsticks even though I was running about 2K rpms rich on the high side. My low-speed needle is at exactly 1 1/4 turns out. This thing is a real screamer!

Some have had problems with fat mid-range after opening up the holes in the baffle. The engine runs (screams) and adjusts nicely in stock form.

Just my .02
Old 05-22-2004, 03:02 PM
Ernie Misner

<<< Some have had problems with fat mid-range after opening up the holes in the baffle. The engine runs (screams) and adjusts nicely in stock form.................

That's interesting about changing the muffler pressure a bit. Less backpressure = leaner midrange though? I don't get it right off, but maybe.

I think there is more to be said about quality control of their carb parts though. It sounds like you got a great carb. Most would be rich as all get out with the low end open more than 1/2 turn or so, which doesn't sound normal or right.

I finally got ahold of the Global service dept yesterday. They must be swamped because it took me a whole week this time. The last time they got back to me in one hour. Anyway they are sending me a whole new carb!

Ernie
Old 05-24-2005, 10:49 PM
spyder0069

Well, I just packed up my new .52 xls to return to Global. Ran about 8 tanks (12oz) through it and could not get it to behave. Engine has great high end. Super low idle. Has the fastest transition from idle to wide open of any engine I own. Had it mounted and went to field only to find out what everyone was talking about. Midrange is horrible. I can idle all day long but if I slowly advance the throttle it picks up and then at half throttle it loses rpm. Give it a tad more and it starts coughing. Then all of a sudden the engine will just quit. You know how if your running a gas engine (airplane, weedeater, ect) and hit the kill switch and it just dies immediately. Thats exactly what happens. If I am ramming the throttle it is fine. Any slow transitions ultimately ends in this immediate cutout. I tried leaning the low end and that helps but then its too lean on the idle and kills that way. This engine always starts with a backflip just like my TT's but I have never seen one with this problem. I have checked all the screws and made sure they were tight and changed from o.s. #8, thunder bolt 2/4 stroke plugs, and Fireball Hots. No change. Started off with 10% wildcat and tried 15% too.

I was dissapointed not to be able to fly my new plane and finnally pulled one of my TT .46's from another plane and mounted it. Its actually a little lighter and allowed me to pull 1oz of lead from the tail. One backflip start and I remembered why I love my TT's.

I had a magnum .25 pro before and it was a awesome engine. I don't want to invest in a new o.s. carb just to see if this engine can perform. Hopefully they can fix/replace it. Of course Tower Hobbies said they will only take it back if its new in the box even though I bought it less than a week ago from them. I was a bit surprised about that. Apparently once you put fuel in it, its yours for good. [&o]

For those that have sent them in and got them back..... How do they fix them? Is there a new revision of the carb that they replace or are you just getting back a new one and hope that it doesn't have the same problem. I guess I don't understand how replacing the engine will fix a problem that seems to be the carb. I had tried different mufflers including my TT .46 muffler and I bought a tower hobbies .46 muffler. No change.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:02 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HEY......My ABC Como SuperTiger will spank those XL 52 engines. One Hot MaMa I never had one bad SuperTiger engine. Capt,n
Old 05-25-2005, 03:59 AM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: spyder0069

I was dissapointed not to be able to fly my new plane and finnally pulled one of my TT .46's from another plane and mounted it. Its actually a little lighter and allowed me to pull 1oz of lead from the tail. One backflip start and I remembered why I love my TT's.
I had the same experience recently (albeit with a Tiger Shark engine).

I fluffed around for hours trying to get the thing to run properly in the mid-range, trying a new carby and even making my low-end needle (which helped a little but not enough). In the end I wrapped it in a rag and threw it under the bench.

Like yourself, I threw in a TT46Pro and all my troubles were gone. It starts first-flick, provides globs of power, excellent throttling and *never* lets me down.

So now I just buy TT or Saito. Why risk anything else when these engines just work so very well?
Old 05-25-2005, 04:54 AM
Cyberwolf

After owning both the 51 ST and the 52 Mag ,its a no brainer i'll go with the super tiger hands down .The mag has some impressive top RPM's but if it wont carry through a full fight without a dead stick what good is it.Its the last thing I want or need ,is to get to the field and have to work on a engine.My other engines hold a tune just fine, but the mag seems to change each flight. And no the needles are not moving due to vibrations,I checked that right off .
10 % fuel and a colder plug seemed to help for a while but thats now gone away and its back to square one .but this time the folks at Magnum can deal with it .if they dont fix it no biggy if they do I prolly wont trust it anyway so either way no biggy.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:29 PM
Ernie Misner

Spyder, did you try a HOT thunderbolt plug or an idle bar plug? The idle bar plug made my 52 very flyable.... most of the time, lol.

Ernie
Old 05-25-2005, 07:56 PM
spyder0069

I used a HOT fireball and a 2/4 stroke Thunderplug which is hot. No difference between the two. These plugs work great in my TT's and other 2 stroke's. If I have to give this one special treatment and baby it then its destined for ebay.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:14 AM
red_guy

why do you people complain about magnums?

I own 3 of them (actualy one sold with plane) and I'm very happy with them. never had the problems you are talking about. My 46 exept for a slightly reach low end needle, which i'm too lazy to fix, runs like a dream with 5% magnum fuel and 11x8 graupner prop.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:15 PM
Ernie Misner

The 46 is a great running little engine that is easy to tune and dependable. Only the 52 is giving us fits. Funny thing is, they use the exact same carb.

Ernie
Old 05-27-2005, 02:02 AM
kmtranmd
My Feedback: (71)

I have OS, TT, and Magnum 52XLS in 40 size and if I buy again it will be TT or consider the ST 51. But not the Magnum. I had horrible experience with their customer service at Global. My Magnum wore out the bearings after only dozen flights.[&o]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.