Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Wanted-Reliable .91 2 Stroke w/ Pitts. Possible?

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Wanted-Reliable .91 2 Stroke w/ Pitts. Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 08:16 PM
TOFAST4U2C
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanted-Reliable .91 2 Stroke w/ Pitts. Possible?

I am seeking a very reliable .91 size 2 stroke that can handle a pitts style muffler. I dont know if there is such a thing as I have never ventured past a .60 so far. I want to put it in a VectorFlight Extra 300S. I like the set it and forget it kind of engine as all my OS have been in the past with the basic care have served me well. I know others have had issues but I have been lucky so far. I dont want to chance a OS 91FX as I have heard way to many horror stories on that one. A smooth low to high end transition is important to me as well. Magnum makes a XLS .91A which has some merit. But I havent found a pitts for it yet. Any input from experience would be helpful.
Thanks
Old 05-03-2004, 08:34 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: Wanted-Reliable .91 2 Stroke w/ Pitts. Possible?

Try an MVVS .91 with the standard dustbin muffler. Same exact size as the MVVS .61 and smooth as silk running.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:33 AM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

I have the Magnum .91 XLS in the VF Extra 66". I believe the exhaust outlet has the same mounting dimensions as the OS. Give BCM a call or e-mail and I'm sure they can fit you. I'm using the Jett Engineering in-cowl muffler, which hangs down lower than the Pitts style, requiring most of bottom of cowl to be cut out. This muffler is a little heavier than the BCM Pitts, but gives a significant power boost. I flew this engine hard all last year, found it to be very reliable. Get it with a couple extra head gaskets and use high nitro, your Magnum will love it.

MVVS .91 also a good choice.
Old 05-04-2004, 07:23 AM
AirGar
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a ST 90 w/ a Slimline "Pitts" in the nose of a WM Midget Mustang, That's a nice combo also.

ST's just take a while to break in. Save yourself some headaches, stay away from the OS 91FX!

You may also want to check out the GMS line of motors at Meccoa.com.

Gary
Old 05-04-2004, 07:29 AM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

I have a lightly used magnum 91xls that is very reliable for sale in the marketplace. It was on a ohio yak but I wanted more power.
It has never dead sticked in the 30-40 flights I have on it. The OS 91fx can be reliable you just have to replace the needle valve. I have one of those as well and they turn the same prop at the same rpm. I have used both 10 and 15% nitro in both my 91's and did not see the need for head shims
Old 05-04-2004, 11:47 AM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the st g90 is a great engine- bisson makes a good pitts muffler for it. others have pitts mufflers for it also.

they need break-in as they are ringed engines. 10% fuel, with an idle bar plug.

ed