Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS Surpass 91 Removing the Springs

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 10:44 AM
DB Cooper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS Surpass 91 Removing the Springs

I have a OS 91 4 stroke that has a broken spring. I have tried, but am unable to remove the spring to replace it. Anyone done this before and has a good way of doing it? I have attached a photo.

Thanks for any advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Springs.JPG (75.4 KB, 93 views)
Old 06-03-2003, 02:15 PM
TimC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

D.B., your about to join the "teeny tiny split ring brotherhood'. It will go easy until time to re-install the split ring keepers. Push down on the dark metal cap on top of the spring. This will expose the split ring, which shold fall away in two pieces on each side of the valve stem. The head has to be off so you can keep a finger on the valve face while compressing the new spring. To re-install, a pair of tweezers worked for me to re-set the keepers. Some folks do this inside a freezer bag in case a keeper half shoots out under spring pressure. It took me a few tries to get the hang of it, with only about 10 minutes searching the kitchen floor for a keeper half. Maybe some grease on the valve stem would help. What finally worked the best, was installing one side then let off the spring. Now position the other half in place with the spring partially compressed. When you compress the spring fully, it should fall into place. It would probably be easier with two people. At least you would have someone to yell at. Last thing I did was to center the gap on each side with a scribe. (I'm not sure this is necessary).
Old 06-03-2003, 02:28 PM
DB Cooper

Do you mean the little black ring at the top of the valve shaft? If I press down on that it will not move at all! Any tricks?
Old 06-03-2003, 04:24 PM
TimC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the top of the valve stem, there is the spring retainer. This is the dark colored part in your photo, setting on top of the spring. Inside next to the valve stem is the spit collar or keeper. If you try it on the valve without the broken spring, the black retainer should move straight down, compressing the spring and exposing the keeper. Put a finger tip around on the valve face, and maybe with a socket, push down on the retainer on the valve with the broken spring. It might be jammed but it should pop loose.
Old 06-03-2003, 05:33 PM
DB Cooper

Got it! Thanks! I took alot of force but poped loose. Now I'll order the new spring and hopefully be back up and flying.