Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Which 4-stroke .50?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 04:58 PM
kfarlee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which 4-stroke .50?

I'm looking for a 4-stroke in the .50 - .60 range to replace an OS .46FX.
Being completely new to 4 strokes, I thought I'd ask the collective wisdom here
(and probably ignite a firestorm of opinions!) .

So, what are the recommendations and tradeoffs between the various possiblities?
OS, Magnum, YS, Saito?

What's your advice?

Thanks
Old 06-05-2003, 06:28 PM
Shihtzutan

You got it right. It’s all all a matter of preference. Personally, I’m a Saito man because you simply cannot beat the power-to-weight-ratio for the money; besides I like looking at the chrome valve covers! YS's are for people with a lot of money, typically competition flyers; I wouldn't recommend it as a first four stroke.

I suggest you take a look at the engine reviews. If you’re replacing a two stroke .46, I’d suggest you opt for an .80-.90 size four stroke if you expect it to perform, certainly nothing less than a .72!

A good rule of thumb for comparable to enhanced flight performance when going from a two-stoke to a four stroke is to double the two-stroke number and select the next size down as a four-stroke. I’m sure this formula of mine will cause more controversy than asking our fellow modelers which brand of four-stroke is best. There are a lot of opinions out there; you are going to have to wade through them. Good Luck!
Old 06-05-2003, 06:28 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

You said .50-.60 size. But to replace a .46fx I would go Saito .72. Other guys on this site get tired of me talking about this motor but for good reason. This is a great engine. It will turn a 13*6 APC at 9,600 all day long.
It's easy to break in , it's light, very reliable, and strong. I dont think I've turned the needle more than
two clicks since breakin. At $229. it's also a good price. good luck daveo
Old 06-06-2003, 01:36 AM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Being used to both OS & Magnum I find little to choose between them after breakin. The prices are a bit in favor of the Magnum. A lot depends on the type and size of the plane to be used. A good .61 will usually be a fair replacement for a .46. A lot of the preferences seem to be based on the fact that one engine will turn the same sized prop 200 RPM faster then another. Believe me, unless you are racing or deeply into 3D aerobatics you probably won't know the difference that 200 RPM makes. If you are talking power to wieght the Saito may have a slight advantage. Again a couple of ounces will probably only make a difference when you are trying to establish the balance point of your aircraft. For a large number of us pricing may be the determining factor. Longevity can come into play. Almost any engine, and they are all CNC machined now, can outlast a lot of different aircraft if it is broken in properly and well manitained.
Old 06-10-2003, 01:40 PM
rctbirdok

I would say the saito .72 is the best choice 4 stroke to replace a 46 sized two stroke.