Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Evolution .4????

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 08:36 AM
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evolution .4????

Hello all,

I have a xe2 trainer with a evo.40 on it. I recently bought a used .46 for it because I added alittle weight to it by putting on floats and thought that a bigger motor would be better. But if you put the .40 and the .46 side by side, they are identical, on the outside. My question is, Is there some tell tale sign or markings to tell me that the new engine is a 46? I just want to make sure that Im not putting on the same size motor. The manual that come with it says its a .455 but I just want to make sure.
Im also looking for some feedback to the engine size. What size engine do you recommend for this setup? The Xtra Easy 2, if you dont already now, is a larger trainer. Closer to a 60 size. Is a .46 going to be enough for it or should I be thinking in the .60 range? Thank you for your time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49782.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	136934  
Old 05-27-2004, 08:53 AM

Default RE: Evolution .4????

The difference between a .40 and .46 of the same brand and type is not all that great usually. Either would most likeley get the plane off the water sometime. If you think you might need some extra power the k&b .61 is similar in size and weight but has much more power. It also happens to be on sale at the moment.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:41 AM
My Feedback: (1)

I have a plane like that,
Where did you get the floats?
Lefty
[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 05-27-2004, 09:55 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an Xtra Easy 2 myself. That Evo is called a .40, but it is really a .45. It is a very good engine for reliability and power. You didn't mention what kind of prop you intend on using. You can remove the weighted flywheel from the shaft and put a regular thrust washer in its place. I ordered one from the LHS for about $2.50. I'm using a 11x7 prop now and the XE2 is a much different plane. It is much faster with much more power, and this is with a wood Zinger that a buddy gave me. I'm going to put an APC prop on it the next time I fly it, probably a 10x7. The 11" only gives me about an inch of ground clearance, so I have to be very careful on takeoffs and taxiing. The engine tached at around 10,970 with the Zinger, so I think it will be higher with the APC prop.

That is a very good engine on the trainer. I suggest that you prop it right and keep it on the plane. I've been using a TT Pro .46 and an OS .46 FX on another plane. I miss the Evo. My next kit will probably be a Something Extra and the guys at the field keep saying that I should put the Evo on it. They all really like the Evo .45. Changing to a 2 bladed prop is easy and you definately will see the improvement.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:28 AM
My Feedback: (26)

Lefty, the floats are US Aircore Explorers. I bought them as a kit and built & coverd them myself. They're not the lightest ever made but I think the could survive a train wreck. It was my first time in covering so I hope it stays on :-).

As far as the prop goes, it has an APC 10x7 on it now. I also tried an 11" but thought against it because of the clearance. I pressed the weight off of the flywheel so its alittle lighter in the front and seems to have helped it "rev" abit quicker. I guess im just going to have to get up the nerve and throw it in the water and try it out.