Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

odd noises from ASP .12

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 07:39 AM
enyaengine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default odd noises from ASP .12

I've just got my ASP .12 and have already ran 3 tanks through it. I've got it hooked up to a min-tuned pipe and am running 20% castor, 10 % nitro fuel. The engine is making some loud recurring noises (like mini bangs) about twice a second or so, but it isn't an even rate. Is this just because the engine is new and is an ABC engine, or is it because I'm doing something else wrong? BTW, this noise amplifies to very loud when the throttle is opened up.
Many thanks,
Old 06-09-2004, 07:47 AM
ZB50

Default RE: odd noises from ASP .12

Is this a bushing engine? If so, you may be hearing the result of the crankshaft forward/aft play. This is common in bushing engines. It usually occurs at idle to lower rpm settings.

ZB
Old 06-09-2004, 07:49 AM
ZB50

Is this a bushing engine? If it is, you may be hearing the rattle of the crankshaft play forward and aft. This usually occurs in the bushing engines at lower/idle rpm settings. Nothing to worry about.

ZB

Sorry, I got an error message when I sent the previous message and I thought it did not go thru.

ZB
Old 06-09-2004, 08:05 AM
enyaengine

Ah, yes, of course. Thank you. I'm almost certain there is some play in the crankshaft - the engine is being run in at dead level, so the shaft probably is jumping around a bit. Shouldn't be too much of an issue hopefully once it's in the boat.