Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Looking for a R/C Gas/Oil engine for a pusher plane.

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Looking for a R/C Gas/Oil engine for a pusher plane.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 09:32 PM
rcairplanenut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a R/C Gas/Oil engine for a pusher plane.

I am looking for a R/C Gasoline engine in the 30 to 50 cc range that is for a pusher installation. I would prefer an engine that can run in the opposite rotation (clock wise viewed from the front) so I can use normal propellers for this pusher plane via some modification or a part ordered from the factory. Also the engine needs to have excellent cooling, decent power, easy on the wallet, not a gas-guzzler and is easy to start. I was looking at the US gas engines, any recommendations??????? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Old 07-07-2003, 01:35 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

There are engine builders that advertise in RCModeler magazine. They specialize in large gasser conversions of weedeater engines and the like. Contact one of them and ask what they might be able to do for you.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:11 PM
Flight Risk

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't believe a normal prop running backwards will be very efficient. The thin trailing edge would become the leading edge. You would need to find special backwards running props.

RS
Old 07-10-2003, 06:18 AM
LouW

Flight Risk, think about it again. If he installs the engine as a pusher, what is normally the front of the engine faces aft, and the propeller is mounted backwards on the engine so that the thin trailing edge of the propeller also faces reaward. Now if the engine runs backwards also, the propeller is operating normally. It seem like a lot of trouble to avoid using a pusher propeller, but it will work.
Old 07-10-2003, 12:58 PM
Flight Risk

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Duh! I didn't even think of flipping the prop over.
I guess the reason for not wanting pusher props is that the selection of sizes is much slimmer.

FR
Old 07-10-2003, 02:26 PM
maxtenet

FYI,

Just keep in mind that if it is a reed valve engine or piston port induction, it can run fine either direction, so it may be useful on a later plane. An engine with a rotary valve intake can only spin one direction.

Good Luck!
Max
Old 07-12-2003, 12:24 AM
rcairplanenut

I was not planning on running a normal prop backwards, I was planning on using a normal prop that rotates counter clockwise viewed from the front pushing the plane forwards and have Only the engine run backwards NOT the prop. The whole point being access to conventional props that can be purchased at any hobby store or mail order company.
Old 07-12-2003, 12:29 AM
rcairplanenut

That is a good point; I should be in luck seeing that most gas/oil engines use piston port induction.
Old 07-12-2003, 12:34 AM
rcairplanenut

Just to clarify I was planning on the front of the prop pointing towards the front of the plane. The prop-spinning counter clockwise viewed from the front. And the engine with reverse rotation being in front of the prop